push ups

Options
I can't do a push up for the life of me. Any tips suggestions on how to do it?

Replies

• amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to read these...I saw one tip on a post earlier this week to set your feet wide apart if you are trying a traditional push up. I tried it today and was able to do 10 really bad ones. :) Better than what I normally do...
  • EWilliamson
    EWilliamson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Start with girly push-up! I promise if you do some everyday and then just work up to them you will be doing them like a pro in no time! GOOD LUCK :)
  • maiituu
    maiituu Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    if you can't do push ups because you don't have enough strenght then i suggest to work on the biceps first by doing some weight training, and bench press some light weight. After a month or two try again and I'll be you will be able to do more than 1.
  • alz139
    alz139 Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi, um I have recently started being able to do full press/push ups. My trainer first had bee doing them against the wall. Then on my knees (in a box shape), then on my knees but in a straight line from my shoulders to my knees (hope that makes sense). We basically worked up to full ones. Dunno if that helps but its the way I got to doing full ones.
  • Gawain
    Gawain Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Start by doing a push-up on your knees, and move them back a little further as you get better. slowly you'll build up enough strength to do them the full-on way, using your toes and arms close by your shoulders. Good luck and keep trying.
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    Maybe you could start with "wall push ups"? You can look it up to see how to do them... :flowerforyou:
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    http://hundredpushups.com/

Follow the program and you'll get there, or at least lots of push-ups. :-)
  • spampeg
    spampeg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Try starting out with knee (aka girlie) pushups? It will change your center of gravity and make things much easier for starting off.

Also, you can try doing regular pushups using stairs. With your feet solid on the ground, put your hands 4-5 stairs up and try a few. Just keep your butt and back straight.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i started with 2-3, and worked at it, and now (6 months later) i can do 20 man push-ups in a row. it's hard, and takes alot of time and effort. but keep at it. start with 1, and then do some girl push ups after (as many as you can) in a while you will be able to do a few more, and a few more, and a few more.
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    you need to slowly work towards doing them. Can you not to 1 on your toes? if not, do your knees. See how many you can do and each day do more. When you feel like you can start going on your toes. Slowly do more each day. Also, strength training exercises can help. Before Insanity I could do very little pushups. I can do A LOT more now than I could! :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    If you're at the gym, you can do pushups on a bar like this:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BWInclinePushupBar.html

Gradually move the bar lower as you get stronger - you'll eventually end up doing them on the floor.

If you're not at a gym, you can do them using a counter or stairs. Stairs work well, same concept as the bar - you can gradually move to a lower stair until you're on the floor.

Good luck!
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    ive been doing more strength training lately and pushups are still my worst. Yesterday a trainer told me to use these bars (my gym). Hard to explain but its a weight rack about 5 ft high with different levels. Anyway. he told me to start off using the bar at the highest level to push against, then build my way to the lower bars until I build my strength to eventually do them on the floor. I hope that sort of made sense. Im gonna try that!
  • leecm8
    leecm8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can offer a few tips based on my personal experience. I couldn't do more than about three pushups in a row at first. I worked my way up to 10, then 12, and 15. Now I can do up to 20 to 25 in a row, no problem. (I'm female, 33 years old, 135 pounds).

If you can't do any at all, start by doing modified sets on your knees, hands placed wider than your shoulders. Keep your back straight. Once you can do a couple of sets of those, you should be able to eke out at least two or three regular pushups on your toes. If you still can't, though, try doing a few with your hands up on a step platform or other low bench surface. Makes it easier.

Then I trained myself by doing as many pushups as I could up on my toes (whether that was 1, 3 or 10) and then finished out a set of about 12 total on my knees. I just kept upping the number I could do on my toes until I could finish out a whole set of 10 or more.

Although I was able to improve a lot just through training, it also helped when I lost a few pounds, just for the fact that I had less weight to lift. :smile:

Anyway, just my personal experience. I'm not a trainer, just a gym rat, so take that for what it's worth.
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!! I will try them against a wall then work to the bars at my gym :)
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    http://hundredpushups.com/

Follow the program and you'll get there, or at least lots of push-ups. :-)

^^^this

follow the program for weeks 1-3 using "girlie" push-ups.
    then when you complete week 3 go back and start from week 1 doing full push-ups.
    You'll be amazed!