Squats ?

Options
I've finally worked out how to do squats but am not sure how many and how often I need to do them. I'm female trying to get a bit more strength. Any advice welcome. :)

Replies

• scarlet67
    scarlet67 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Anyone? ??
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I would follow a full-body program, not just squats, and not a self-designed program. Good programs explain all the little details you need to know, like the number of reps, progression of weight, order of exercises, etc. If you workout at home, try the Nerd Fitness beginner program. At a gym, try New Rules of Lifting for Life. :+1:
  • jpierc
    jpierc Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with Cherimoose: Find a program and use it. The one I used to get started was Stronglifts, but there is also Starting Strength. Both of these use a standard 5 sets of 5 reps pattern and they increment the weight lifted every session. Simple, but it is amazing how many people never follow the basics. It ain't rocket science, but it is science.

I would endorse NRLFW, but I've never done that one. I'm sure it is a great program, but I can't endorse something I have no experience with.

Best of luck in your new lifting routine.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Is that your only exercise?
    Start at body with with 20 per day 5x week for 2 weeks, then start adding weight. Once you get much weight, switch to 3x week. Just my thoughts.
    I suggest that you browse other threads about squats, lifting, and strength for tons of info.
    Why do you want to gain only a little bit of strength? It seems to me that more strength is better!
  • scarlet67
    scarlet67 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. .really appreciate your response. Gonna look at programs to follow x
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i used stronglifts 5x5 to start with, keeping mark rippetoe's starting strength book next to the rack as my form reference. congrats on learning the squat form btw. getting it right is not as 'intuitive' as some people like to pretend.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    get on a program like strong lifts, strong curves, new rules of lifting , etc. it will tell you how many and how often.

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    get on a program like strong lifts, strong curves, new rules of lifting , etc. it will tell you how many and how often.

Bang. If you just pick a random weight and go without doing any percentages, reloads, or deloads because you're doing your own program your progress will stall if not start to regress

• SR1986
    SR1986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Squat it out! Brazil butt lift from beach body is great for lower body work. Lots of squats and lunges my hamstrings are beasts! I also love p90x any and all. They do great leg workouts and your butt will look better too! BONUS! you can also YouTube videos specifically routines for legs or whatever you want there's lots of free workouts online.