Affirmations? Yay or Nay?

Options
Do you use affirmations? Do you think they help? If so, which are your favorites?

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by affirmations? Like positive thinking mantras you repeat to yoursel, something like that? Or affirmations from other people?
  • RenBowTokyo
    RenBowTokyo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by affirmations? Like positive thinking mantras you repeat to yoursel, something like that? Or affirmations from other people?

The ones you say to yourself or listen to in order to change your mind set.
    43501 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Do you use affirmations? Do you think they help? If so, which are your favorites?

I know the science is pretty solid on the fact that affirmations actually work, but I gotta say, actually using them/repeating them to yourself feels real awkward.

The only time I ever remember using them was when I'd get really anxious and worked up before an exam and I'd have to calm myself down by reminding myself that I worked/studied/prepared as hard as I could and worrying was pointless.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Yay. They help. I use different ones all the time such as "everything is as it should be," and "the past is past; look towards the present/future."
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options

The ones you say to yourself or listen to in order to change your mind set.

Not usually.

The only things I end up repeating to myself is ... to my legs ... "Keep pedalling!" ... when I'm cycling up a long steep hill.

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    43501 wrote: »

I know the science is pretty solid on the fact that affirmations actually work, but I gotta say, actually using them/repeating them to yourself feels real awkward.

Is this sarcasm or have you been misinformed?
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Yep. I use them in the context of CBT and find they work very well for changing the mindset and helping to meet goals. If I'm trying to avoid eating when I'm not really hungry I will sometimes write them in a notebook over and over like sentences had to be Written in school. That sounds crazy but I can get to the end of writing one ten times and no longer feel like emotional eating. I will write them at those times vs say it because it's keeping both mind and hands busy at that point. At the end of writing one ten times my mindset has successfully shifted and I can go on my way having succeeded in not eating when I wasn't hungry.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I think they can be useful - it helps to block out negative thoughts. But for me it's no miracle. Just a temporary help.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I use them A LOT. They are what helped me stay positive the first few months I left my abusive relationship. I needed to tell myself I was worthy of something better because for the last 4 years I had been told different.

I have used them through my health journey as well because they keep me focused on my goals. I would say the best thing is to write on sticky notes and tack them to your mirror. You will see them every day and eventually you will have that positive mindset.

I hate negativity. It is something I've fought hard to get away from.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person, but they definitely help me especially when faced with really challenging situations (getting through hard workouts, pushing out negative thoughts when faced with anxiety, getting through labour and childbirth.. especially that last one ;) )
  • gemstoneisland
    gemstoneisland Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My profile pic says my current affirmation - "When you're struggling, think of your dream body". Totally helps push through those tough few minutes where I'm thinking of not getting to the gym or eating something I shouldn't.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    I've never used anything like that. I do suffer from negative self talk so I feel like it may be helpful - but like @43501, I can't get over the awkwardness! Instead I spend a lot of time listening to weight loss related podcasts in order to keep myself in the right headspace.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I've never used anything like that. I do suffer from negative self talk so I feel like it may be helpful - but like @43501, I can't get over the awkwardness! Instead I spend a lot of time listening to weight loss related podcasts in order to keep myself in the right headspace.

What you can try if you want, rather than saying them out loud to yourself if you find that odd.. I printed the affirmations on card paper and I read them, and then you can carry them around with you when you need them. I have ones for when I am in labour and they really helped.. but I actually haven't really tried this for my everyday stuff, maybe I should.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    43501 wrote: »

Is this sarcasm or have you been misinformed?

No, they really do feel awkward. :+1:

• jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Something I can recommend based on my experience as a psychological scientist researching self-affirmation: don't forget to affirm other areas of your life. Are you a good sister, brother, partner, etc? Doing well at work? Feeling spiritual? Write in a journal whenever you can think of these positive things. It can help your health by strengthening your overall sense of self.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I do, or at least have tried in the past. Changing your thinking is definitely something you CAN do.
    Actually I read recently that affirmations work best when said ALOUD and actually the more vehement the better (think NLP and Tony Robbins type stuff).
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    medic2038 wrote: »
    I do, or at least have tried in the past. Changing your thinking is definitely something you CAN do.
    Actually I read recently that affirmations work best when said ALOUD and actually the more vehement the better (think NLP and Tony Robbins type stuff).

Yes, your brain is like a committee, or rather like a staff meeting where half the attendees are on their phones. Talking to yourself internally is like standing up the front and speaking quietly while accompanied with bad PowerPoint slides. Speaking out loud is like using a megaphone and an air horn. It gets the message through, particularly to those parts of the brain that date back to the days of primeval stupidity and struggle to respond to subtleties. The amygdala (which controls fear/anxiety responses) is one of these.

I wish I knew where I had heard this and whether it is science or just ramblings.
  • CBD92
    CBD92 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Yes, they absolutely help! The most successful and happy people in the world have used positive thinking/affirmations etc. in their lives.

If you're interested in learning more about it, the very famous book "The Secret" explains the power of positive thinking very well and it does come in form of documentary if that interests you more. While a good book, one of my favourites is actually "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz. This book is fantastic for an introduction because it is SO easy to read, and a bit repetitive so it really helps you to understand his message. It is a real eye opener on the reality we have created for ourselves and gives us amazing insight on how we can change our perception to attain everything we need and be happy.

Also, you could do a bit of reading about Buddhist teachings. A couple great things about Buddhism is that it's not a religion, more a way of life, so anyone can follow the teachings regardless of your religious beliefs, and you do not have to identify as a Buddhist to follow the teachings. Guaranteed everyone in the world who has attained complete happiness and success have, knowingly or unknowingly, practiced some Buddhist teachings.

Have fun with it! You'll love the positivity it gives you!

Cheers!
    ~M