Weighing in on Truvia/ Stevia

Options
Very confused on whether Truvia is all natural or not? Is it a better alternative than splenda? I'm looking for a healthy low calorie way to sweeten my Iced Tea.

Replies

• Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Truvia / Stevia is an extract from a leaf. It is completely natural, not artificial. It doesn't work for everything - has a slightly bitter aftertaste, but it's good in yogurt and herbal tea - I can vouch for those.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I destest the aftertaste of Truvia, personally. Same goes with the Stevia liquid. My personal preference is real, raw sugar when I have the calories and sugar allowance for it, Splenda when I don't.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Stevia is the way to go. Get some that is pure with no additives. A little bit goes a long way. It's just the extract of the herb, which you could grow yourself in your garden.

Stay away from Splenda and all those chemical sweeteners. They are very scary and NOT good for you. Studies show they even make you want to eat more.
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It is all natural. I use Sun Crystals. It has sugar and stevia. It's 5 calories a packet.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia for my tea..and liquid Stevia that is berry flavored for my water. Truvia has been processes where Stevia is pretty much the natural form..

But its all personal choice....I have to watch my sugar intake cause I am IR....so this works for me
  • ChristineM79
    Options
    Truvia is made from the stevia leaf...all natural. Splenda is made with Aspertame, which is a controversial sweetener that has been linked to all kinds of nasty stuff like Lupus and tumors. Given the choice, I would choose the Truvia.
  • supermom1114
    supermom1114 Posts: 577
    Options
    They are sugar alcohols and yes are all natural. As the previous poster said you can't substitute it for sugar the same way as splenda. Go to www.truvia.com for recipes and more info about what it really is.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Stevia is the way to go. Get some that is pure with no additives. A little bit goes a long way. It's just the extract of the herb, which you could grow yourself in your garden.

Stay away from Splenda and all those chemical sweeteners. They are very scary and NOT good for you. Studies show they even make you want to eat more.
    Exactly!
  • supermom1114
    supermom1114 Posts: 577
    Options
    Splenda is not made from aspartame it is made from sucralose. Aspartame is a very controversial artificial sweetener where as sucralose is more widely accepted. Either way, Truvia and Stevia are better choices.
  • raquelitarica
    raquelitarica Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to live in Paraguay where stevia (ka'a he'e) grows naturally. I would dry the leaves and boil them in water for tea, sometimes even just bite off the leaf for a quick taste of sweetness. I don't know about the extracting process, but I am pretty sure it is a lot better than Splenda, although I do still use Splenda as well. You can buy the dried leaves online and boil them yourself if you are worried about chemicals added during the extraction process.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Truvia is made from the stevia leaf...all natural. Splenda is made with Aspertame, which is a controversial sweetener that has been linked to all kinds of nasty stuff like Lupus and tumors. Given the choice, I would choose the Truvia.

Splenda is not made with aspartame. It is made by replacing certain molecules in sugar with a chloride (NOT chlorine, chloriDe).

Equal is aspartame.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Truvia/Stevia does not affect blood sugar and may even increase glucose tolerance ( a good thing). It does have an after taste but I think it is worth is as it is more natural and does not raise blood sugar levels.