Gained 3 lbs :(

Options
I've been tracking my calories at 1600 and hitting the gym on a regular basis (not so great at login it into MFP though). And I gained 3 lbs?!?! I'm so disheartened. Did anybody else gain before they saw a loss? The scale is supposed to go down, not up!

Help!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Three pounds over what time frame?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Three pounds over what time frame?

This.

Also remember that all sorts of things can cause temporary weight gain via water retention. Look at the overall trend, not day to day fluctuations.
  • gemstoneisland
    gemstoneisland Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sorry, 1 1/2 weeks
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Sorry, 1 1/2 weeks

Yeah, that could be anything. Ovulation, Period, more sodium, more exercise, etc. Those will all mask weight loss and sometimes show a gain when it's just temporary.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    You mean you started a new workout regime a week and a half ago? It's normal to gain weight when doing exercise you are not used to. It's water weight in your muscles and is temporary.

Give it more time, and in the meantime, make sure you are logging your food accurately, as if you don't, the extra hunger due to exercise can end up making you eat more and undo your good work.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I never knew I gain water weight during ovulation until I started tracking closely on MFP. It lasts 2-3 days and then disappears, just like PMS water weight gain. It's a pain, but at least I know about it and go with it.

I would also say possibly water weight due to increased exercise.

Could be your sodium intake increased, too. Give it more time!
  • gemstoneisland
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I went back to February 12th in your food diary and you've logged your food less than half of the days. Start weighing and logging every bite every single day. If you still haven't lost in 4 weeks come back.

I do weigh/measure all my food - I just don't log it in ;)

• medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Water is heavy, 1 gallon is around 8lbs!

If you're tracking right I wouldn't get too discouraged. Believe me I've been there before (and it's hugely disheartening to see +lbs). We can fluctuate quite a bit!

But yeah tracking more accurately DOES help too, if nothing else it's formation of a habit.
  • arrghmatey1
    arrghmatey1 Posts: 91 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Starting a new exercise regimen or a major shift in diet will often cause a mild rebound like you describe.
    Logging is life!
    You need the data to make an honest evaluation, it could be something you started eating that is causing a sodium spike and your rebound.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm up almost 2 pounds in the eight days since I started MFP. I'm not worried. Just going to stick with it and see what happens. I FEEL better. I'm tracking my food better. WAAAAYYYY better than I was before. And the accountability has gone to the next level. So yeah...I'm up a couple pounds despite hitting lower calorie intakes each day, but those high sodium pretzel rods I have trouble resisting...they aren't helping the scale tell me what I want it to say. So there's that. Just keep pushing yourself.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,652 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Your logs are incomplete. Therefore no one, including you, has a clue as to how much you ate. .

Or how much you exercised.

Or, without a trending weight and/or some consistency and averaging when it comes to weigh ins, what your weight trend truly is!

So yeah.
    Three unknowns, zero knowns.

I.e. whatever.....
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    Sorry, 1 1/2 weeks

Pfft. 3 pounds is the grand scheme of things is no real big issue. If your logs are incomplete it could be anything.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    Even the best gainers aren't gaining 3 pounds of muscle that quickly...so to add to this point if you think you are "feeding your muscles" that isn't happening. The best results most people can hope for under optimum conditions is approximately one pound of muscle mass gain per month. But NOT on a 1600 calorie per day intake. Not going to happen. So whatever it is...it's not muscle. I assure you.
    Its hard to take this entire board seriously considering on another thread you claimed reading a book that convinced you that you could eat more instead of eating less...

So either you are eating more like the book says which you said was a real eye opener for you and you are trying to put on muscle..or feed the muscles.. or whatever.. or you are eating less and in a calorie deficit.. maybe.. considering you have incomplete logs as well

• Rhody_Hoosier
    Options
    I was more dove-tailing with your point. Not arguing against it. That's all. I was pointing out that in a week and a half it couldn't be three pounds of muscle. Or most likely couldn't be anyway.

[/quote]

i know this.. im just going by her posts based here and on the other thread.
    The other thread she clearly makes note that she read a book that told her she could eat more, especially protein to feed the muscles and that as an 80's baby she always thought she had to eat less...

now here shes saying how disheartened she is about gaining 3 pounds..
    Shes got incomplete logs and claims shes weighing everything

but my thing is.. either shes following the book and eating more... and gaining
    or shes eating in a deficit.. but its hard to tell since shes got incomplete logs[/quote]

• gemstoneisland
    Options
    Goodness, so much negativity! My original question was if anybody else saw the scale go up...

As for the logging calories/weighing food/etc., I have a notebook right next to my scale to jot down the numbers as I go. I don't always have time to get it into MFP...but I know what my daily CICO are!