Fitbit for Activity and Sleep

Hello All!
I have recently been thinking about getting a fitbit for a better idea on my sleep patterns and activity level. I have tended to not eat enough calories in the past and want to make sure that I am eating/resting enough for my activity levels. Does anyone have feedback on which fitbits/monitors work best?

Thank you!! :)

Replies

• BlueHorse8
    BlueHorse8 Posts: 29 Member
    Charge 2 is good. Has settings for all different types of workouts; run, weights,treadmill, elliptical,bike,interval workout and workout as well as sleep pattern.
  • SR1986
    SR1986 Posts: 92 Member
    I just ordered fitbit charge hr last night from ebay. I talked myself out of the more expensive one, well, because I didn't want to spend over $100 on something I didn't know if I'd like, you know? That one seemed awful bulky to sleep in too. I can't even sleep with a rubber band on my wrist, so I don't even know that the charge hr is going to work for me at night either. :( like "your sleep was very disturbed last night" (from the fitbit app in the morning) like yeah I know you kept me up because I was uncomfortable! However, I feel like maybe I'm over estimating my caloric burn daily because even though I've been watching what I eat to a fault I've managed to put on more weight :( that's along without least an hour of cardio activity or light weight lifting (10 pound free weights) I've also been wanting to ask questions about fitbit, but wasn't sure exactly what to ask. The reviews for the charge hr were pretty good as far as it having a "small margin of error" for heart rate and steps taken. And that's really essentially what I want it to do. Tell me how many calories I've burned. I don't know yet, but I'll be sure to come back to this thread when I've had a couple days with the fitbit to make somewhat of a "review" myself.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    I had the original Flex for 3 years and it worked well for me. Doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles that some of the newer ones do, but it tracked my movement and sleep just fine. :)

Just upgraded to a Charge 2 so I could track my workouts better, and I love the text/call notification plus heart rate monitoring. It's more pricey and bulky though.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    I have the Charge 2 and the Blaze, and they work pretty well for what you seem to want. I don't use them since I have more advanced devices now, but they served me fairly well.
  • Neckita
    Neckita Posts: 32 Member
    Thanks all for your feedback!!
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    I have had various models from the flex they the charge hr. But I love my Surge!!!!
  • CanadianFlybaby
    CanadianFlybaby Posts: 8 Member
    Just an update on this thread. Fitbit recently 'updated' their sleep data graphs and charts. I have the One (and have had it for 3 years.) While it is an older device, it and many of the other trackers still sold have had their useful sleep data removed from the daily reports. Fitbit is still gathering the data but as of this moment is only selling it back to users on a weekly basis.

I used my fitbit almost 24/7 for 3 years and am amazed it is still running. I use it to both track movement and to track sleep. I've found changes in either are early indicators of depression or pain levels. Unfortunately, by removing the useful sleep data from the reporting, my device is now just a fancy pedometer.

So, if you are buying a fitbit for tracking sleep, please only read reviews written after March 27, 2017, when the data was taken away from users. Anything written before will describe something no long available.

Personally, because fitbit brazenly removed reports that it used to provide for free, yet denies this is an attempt to force users to buy the premium reporting or a new tracker, I feel I can no longer recommend fitbit and am skeptical of any device that does not allow me access to all my data. While fitbit claims you can download your sleep data, in fact you only get a subset of the information your tracker has sent to fitbit and you cannot generate useful reports from the raw data it sends you.