Calories Calories Calories! I need answers :P

Options
Hi! Okay so I have a question (I am new to this site and there is sooo much Im learning!!) . I am often under my caloric intake, not on purpose but just sometimes, the food I have eaten didn't use them all up! I am curious- why do we need to use up all of the calories? Is it bad if we dont? And I've read some people writing about using up their exercise calories? Why do we need to do that?

I would really appreciate some input and advice!

Thanks all :)

Replies

• bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Go to the search button on the top and type in eat your exercise cals
  • travistung
    Options
    I suppose there is no reason why you "have" to use up all your calories. If you are under your goal you will simply lose weight at a faster rate. However, you do not want to limit yourself so much that you suffer from malnutrition. Make sure that the calories you do consume are quality calories. Healthy foods are much better (obviously) than hitting your caloric ceiling with Doritos.

Furthermore, you should exercise everyday, it will help you maintain an active, healthy lifestyle and as a bonus, you will allow yourself a few more consumable calories each day. Getting your heart rate up and doing cardio will only help. As always, don't go overboard if you are not used to it, putting yourself in the hurt locker so that you are unable to continue a schedule is no good either.
  • Ginger1384
    Ginger1384 Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm usually always under my calorie goal and most of my friends when they post their food diary are usually under their calorie intake as well. Like someone said use it as a guideline. That's what I do. Welcome to the site. :smile:
  • roxyrae6
    roxyrae6 Posts: 1
    Options
    The recommendated calorie intake number reflects the calories you need to lose for the number of pound you elected to lose each week. If your recommendation is 1200 calories, eating less than may cause your body to go into a starvation mode, which causes you to lose less weight because your body isn't getting the nutrition it needs. You body can eventually burn muscle for energy rather than fat stores. And it will cause your metabolism rate to drop.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I suppose it really depends on a lot of things. If you restrict calories too much (even if it's not on purpose), your body can go into starvation mode and that will sabatoge any goals you have. Which is why not eating enough calories is bad. And the more you excerise, the more energy your body burns. Remember that calories=energy, and your body needs it to get through the day. Think of it like a car: you can't drive it if there's no gas (energy) in it!

I'm not a trainer, so I don't have all the answers. I personally eat back some of my exercise calories, because I need them, and because I really like food :laugh: . I have my daily calorie goal set at 1360 before any exercise, so I try to make sure that I eat at least all those. From what I've researched, you shouldn't consume less than 1200 calories a day or you risk putting your body into starvation mode.
  • PamelaRose88
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks guys!!
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Same with me! I'm at 683 calories and not hungry is that bad? most days I go to 800 or 900 calories but hardly go higher only on rare occasions if eating it out and still only go over my daily 1200 by 75 calories only. How can I have more calories without added fat? I eat mostly homemade granola, lowfat fruit smoothies, lean meats, nuts and veggies. I eat some carbs like pita bread I make into chips and eat with hummus, brown rice once in awhile but mostly get my carbs from all the sources I mentioned. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    If you're new to this, may I STRONGLY advise you that you give a closer ear to what those WHO have been here a while, have successfully and consistently losing than to those who've just joined as well.

Your body is designed to run a specific number of calories- check the TOOLS and find out your BMR ( calculated by your age, weight, height and gender)...that is the bare minimum you require at the weight you are right now to maintain your body.
    Anything less than that and you might lose weight, but it'll be muscle. Not good.
  • Jinxyjinx
    Jinxyjinx Posts: 10
    Options
    Make sure that it is set to your body type by going to goals and making certain that all that information is correct. That way, you are getting the amount of calories YOU need.
  • vaston
    vaston Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately on this site you hear a lot of opinion. Here is FACT: If you consistently average a NET caloric intake of <1200kcal / day 2 things will happen:

1. Your body will enter starvation mode. It will burn muscle, hang on to fat stores and destroy your metabolism.

2. When you are done being amazed by how you lost weight so quickly and you return to normal caloric intake (READ: BMR) you WILL experience rebound weight gain. Your body will see the extra kcals as an opportunity to store more FAT because you are starving it..

It's all about the NET CALORIC INTAKE. People argue on here constantly about eating back your exercise calories. ALWAYS eat enough to NET 1200 kcal/day average!!! NET NET NET! It's simple math! It's NOT ABOUT EATING BACK exercise calories, it's about a NET INTAKE.

Example of NET daily intake:
    2200 kcal eaten, 900 kcal burned through exercise: 2200 - 900 = 1300 NET. If your BMR is 1900 then you end up being 600 kcal under AND you are doing it safely.

There have been multiple posts on here by professional nutritionists that will confirm this and yet people continue to debate about eating exercise calories.