Occasionally skipping meals - Is this bad?

Options
I am relatively new to MFP (and my new lifestyle) but I have been logging everything I eat and exercising regularly since Jan 3rd and am progressing in the right direction.

Started 3rd Jan 227lbs
Currently 212lbs
5ft 7"
Sticking to around 1670 calories a day
Exercising 3 - 5 times a week depending on work commitments and not eating those calories back (or at least no more than half :) )

I feel my new lifestyle is becoming a solid habit and not just a fad. (Which makes a change!)

I have found, usually when busy with work, that I am occasionally going through to lunch without eating. (Not hungry as I am busy, no side effects that I have noticed).

My question is, "Is it OK to occasionally skip meals as long as you stick to your targets or should you look to always make a consistent effort to eat breakfast at x time, lunch at y time etc?"

I actually find myself looking at the clock some days and going "Oh, I forgot breakfast, cool I have an additional 250 calories to play with for lunch/dinner or I can have a decent supper after my gym session"

I don't actively skip meals to do this, it is just a happy happenstance when I forget about a meal.

Is that normal/OK or am I about to learn that there is a lurking danger out there?

Regards
Ian

P.S. I am not a real believer in "starvation mode" other than the body gets more efficient the more it gets used to lower levels of calories and that manifests in the same level of activity burning less calories so your deficit/exercise targets may move throughout your diet. (again, pretty new to this so keen to read any good articles on the subject if I am misinformed)

Replies

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about that as long as you aren't actively ignoring your body's hunger signals (which you don't seem to be doing). I have found that when I drink more water I get less hungry as long as I am mentally engaged in something.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't skip meals....I just plan to eat lunchtime, dinner time and dessert with perhaps a snack. I don't plan breakfast, so technically I don't skip it :)

Eat when you like!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. I had a huge lunch yesterday and then skipped dinner. For once, my hunger level (none) and available calories (also none) lined up.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You have lost about 15 pounds over the past 2 months, which is about 2 pounds a week. This is excellent progress. Skipping meals doesn't seem to have hurt your progress at all.

There is research that support skipping meals leads to weight gain, but I suspect it has more to do with overeating later then the act of skipping meals. You continue to work within your calories, so I think you are fine.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Meh, same thing happens to me. I just make up the calories elsewhere in the day. It's only a problem on days like yesterday when I had a light lunch and got stuck at work until after 8pm. I had a raging headache by the time I was finally able to eat.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Meal timing/frequency is a preference thing. What matters is that you're hitting your calorie targets at the end of the day/week.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Some people do that on purpose. It's fine, and it can indeed be nice to have a larger meal because of it. If I'm lucky enough to get to sleep in on the weekend (I have two small kids), I like to just eat brunch and dinner and have a few higher calorie items (bacon!). It's fine to mix things up, and it's fine to eat that way more frequently if it suits you.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    As long as you're hitting your goals, it's all good. Eat when you're hungry and don't eat when you're not. Some people skip breakfast, some people eat a big breakfast, some people eat 5 or 6 times a day. I sometimes skip breakfast if I know I'd rather use the calories on a big lunch.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast until noon or later at least 5 days a week (sometimes 6). I find that this gives me greater control over my eating - when I eat breakfast, I get hungry sooner than when I skip breakfast.

As said by others, as long as you are making progress and hitting your goals, meal timing is more a matter of personal preference than anything.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    As long as you hit your caloric target, it's all good.
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    As the others said, I agree that timing itself doesnt affect weight loss, just the total calories, but you may want to note that if you skip a regular mealtime for you (intentionally or not), you could find yourself excessively hungry for the next meal, and then overeat because youre so hungry. So the timing doesn't *directly* cause a problem, but if you're extra hungry, you may find it harder not to eat more than you planned or wanted to (above the other missed meals calories!).
    I find I miss either breakfast or lunch a lot, but not so much on purpose but because I try to finish certain tasks first because if i put something down, I may never get back to it. So yes it's normal. Some of those times I am famished and will eat more than I wanted given the chance, but not always.
    Some people do better psychologically with a routine.
    As far as function, and calories, though, no it doesnt matter if you eat once a day or 7 times a day.
    Whatever works for you is good, and no, I don't believe it is dangerous.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just have coffee for breakfast because I know I have a big lunch planned and I need the extra calories. I am still mindful of my macros and getting enough protein in particular.
  • Ianhood82
    Ianhood82 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all. Very nice to know.

I am in a bit of a 2 stage plan... This year I am just trying to lose weight and train more. Next year I am going to be much better with my macros and overall diet health.

It is empowering being able to fit a fish and chip supper into my deficit every now and then. I have been out for a meal and even had a bit of dominos the other day. The only difference is the portion control and the raging need I have to go to the gym or on the cross trainer upstairs to burn a little off :) I really dont feel I am dieting at the moment.

I haven't touched alcohol this year and know that wont last....
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter, as its the overall total calories per day that makes the difference. However, I find it strange that you can "forget" breakfast. That's like being halfway down the highway to a destination 60 miles away and suddenly realizing you forgot to start the car.
  • Ianhood82
    Ianhood82 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Your analogy is off a tad. It is more like being halfway down the highway to a destination 60 miles away and suddenly realizing you forgot to fill up on petrol.

When my petrol gauge tells me I need more fuel I fill up. Recently that doesn't appear to "always" be around a traditional breakfast time.

When I am busy working, I can be on a call at 7 or 8am, finish it, make some notes, get onto the next few actions, get another call. "oh man it's lunch time". So I forget to eat, lose track of time. It does happen I can assure you.
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I always make an effort to have breakfast, especially since I've started this journey. Often on weekends i don't eat lunch because it's just me and I don't bother cooking for myself when the guys are at work.

I never used to eat breakfast and often I wouldn't eat lunch because I was so crazed at work. Since I started my new job last year though I usually take lunch with me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,617 Member
    Options
    Same height and at 200lbs. I skip breakfast at least 6 days a week. For years. Meal timing is irrelevant.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. I rarely eat more than one proper meal a day. I tend to snack and eat a little here and there all day. As long as I'm monitoring what I'm consuming, it makes no difference.