Smaller portions

Options
When starting with smaller portions is it normal to be hungry a lot until your body adjusts?

Replies

• comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    yeah
  • comeonnow142857
    Options
    (Bigger portions of spinach and cod/chicken breasts is my number 1 lifesaver)
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    How long would you say it takes to adjust?
  • comeonnow142857
    edited February 2017
    Options
    How long would you say it takes to adjust?

It depends.

For me it's not long because I eat huge portions of spinach, diet coke, water. Almost no calories, but plenty to fill you up. I do PSMF (which I do not recommend or condone) and while I feel it in the mornings I'm never hungry at the end of the day.

Green veg is magic more keeping full, and very lean protein based foods are very, very good. My lunch today was a huge bowl and very tasty.

Now, eating out at a restaurant I have to stay careful, and might still be a little hungry after a very rich tasting meal with controlled portions.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating, and what's your height and weight?

It's not necessary to be hungry to lose weight. Maybe your idea of "dieting" is one of dread and deprivation, so that it makes you feel like you are starving. Maybe eating differently makes you anxious. Feeling hungry isn't dangerous, and it's quite normal to feel hungry before a meal.

The body doesn't adjust to smaller portions. A smaller body needs less fuel, and our minds adapt (more or less efficiently) to changes in our environment. It's more "normal" to be able to eat too little/poorly for a while, and then not being able to, and go back to old habits.
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Losing weight isn't necessarily about small portions. It's about what you are eating. If you are getting enough nutrients you might still be a little hungry between meals if calories are being severely restricted. Good, nutrient dense food choices take care of most hunger issues though. If trying to lose on calorie count alone you could make yourself extremely hungry by choosing food like substances full of empty calories. Don't count calories, watch your macronutrients and get an appropriate amount of protein, fat & carbs. My portion sizes have gone down doing this. Nutrient dense food is more filling.
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options

It's not necessary to be hungry to lose weight. Maybe your idea of "dieting" is one of dread and deprivation, so that it makes you feel like you are starving. Maybe eating differently makes you anxious. Feeling hungry isn't dangerous, and it's quite normal to feel hungry before a meal.

The body doesn't adjust to smaller portions. A smaller body needs less fuel, and our minds adapt (more or less efficiently) to changes in our environment. It's more "normal" to be able to eat too little/poorly for a while, and then not being able to, and go back to old habits.

I am 150 pounds and I am five foot in height.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I am used to it; I don't mind being hungry within 1.5hrs before the next meal. This is America... you will eat again. :) I
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Disagree. If someone has been overeating for a long time, they will most likely feel hungry until they adjust to normal quantities of food.

Nothing wrong with that. Virtually everone on this site is in the developed world. As someone said earlier, you will eat again.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    When starting with smaller portions is it normal to be hungry a lot until your body adjusts?

Totally usual for me. I've taken several maintenance breaks and I am hungry for about two weeks after going back onto a deficit. I then adjust. Personally, my hunger signals bear little relation to how much food I actually need, they have more to do with habit and what I'm used to.

BUT make sure you are not undereating! How much do you have to lose, and how much are you trying to lose per week?