Heavy period

Options
My periods are pretty heavy for about 24 hours and my dr didn't see too concerned. I go through several tampns and pads that get soaked through. It's so heavy I don't like to work out for at least a day. Even though I want to and working out generally helps my cramps etc. but I know I'll leak through, it's happened before. So I just avoid it for a day.

I asked my dr about fibroids and like I said he wasn't too concerned. It's annoying and embarrassing. I am 39 and I guess your period gets heavier as you get older. We are trying to get pregnant so birth control isn't an option to help my periods.

Not sure what I'm asking but maybe someone to commiserate with me.

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »
    I am 39 and I guess your period gets heavier as you get older.

mine did, for what that's worth *insert graphic hilarious content right here*. why i became a big fan of the instead cup over tampons, since modern western life doesn't allow you to just take your pants off and sit on a big block of moss for a day or two every month.

the cup was fine for regular life, but even if i'd been lifting back then there is no way i would have tested it with a deadlift or squat.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

mine did, for what that's worth *insert graphic hilarious content right here*. why i became a big fan of the instead cup over tampons, since modern western life doesn't allow you to just take your pants off and sit on a big block of moss for a day or two every month.

the cup was fine for regular life, but even if i'd been lifting back then there is no way i would have tested it with a deadlift or squat.

Ahhh I just saw an Instagram video of a girl I follow who was deadlifting and her diva cup came out (you couldn't see it, she mentioned it). She owned that s***. :D
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

Ahhh I just saw an Instagram video of a girl I follow who was deadlifting and her diva cup came out (you couldn't see it, she mentioned it). She owned that s***. :D
    That is amazing! But yeah I mean if you are straining eno then I'm sure you could pop that thing right out!

• bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I wasn't working out during this miserable time in my life. But I can tell you I was never very far from a restroom at least two days every month. It was a challenge since the tender age of 12. Fibroids earned me a hysterectomy. U-free and proud to be!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm 47, almost 48 and yes, periods got much heavier. Until this month. 2 days, very light. It's crazy, the hormonal changes. I guess I'm peri menopausal.
    I got pregnant at 42, btw. 5-6 months after stopping birth control with no other interventions. Good luck!
  • Alisonswim46
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I'm 47, almost 48 and yes, periods got much heavier. Until this month. 2 days, very light. It's crazy, the hormonal changes. I guess I'm peri menopausal.
    I got pregnant at 42, btw. 5-6 months after stopping birth control with no other interventions. Good luck!
    We've been trying for about 6 months. DH just got his stuff tested and we are waiting on that. Hopefully we won't need to do much more than that. Just keep trying!

• melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    We've been trying for about 6 months. DH just got his stuff tested and we are waiting on that. Hopefully we won't need to do much more than that. Just keep trying!

You might pay attention to vitamin C intake...high levels can inhibit conceptions.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I had 2 periods between 2008-2013 due to 3 pregnancies and breastfeeding. Prior to kids I had normal, not very heavy periods. Once I got my period back after kids it was awful. Several days of extremely heavy flow, cramps, which I never had. Gradually, it's gotten better. Now I have one really heavy day, but I double up (tampon and pad) and workout anyway.
  • Alisonswim46
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I had 2 periods between 2008-2013 due to 3 pregnancies and breastfeeding. Prior to kids I had normal, not very heavy periods. Once I got my period back after kids it was awful. Several days of extremely heavy flow, cramps, which I never had. Gradually, it's gotten better. Now I have one really heavy day, but I double up (tampon and pad) and workout anyway.
    I just can't workout with a pad. It would really bother me and probably come unstuck. Yuck!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Do you use the kind with wings?! Always brand with wings is the best. I wear snug underwear and snug workout shorts or leggings. Keep everything in its place.
  • Alisonswim46
    Options
    Commando all the way! No undies when working out!
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If you can't or won't address heavy periods with hormones (birth control), menstrual cups are a great option to make them more manageable.

Earlier in my career, I had to do a fair amount of field work and using a menstrual cup meant I didn't have to worry about leakages or changing anything all day. You have to do some research into the best cup for you based on your body geometry. Many people start with the Diva cup because drugstores stock it, but it doesn't work for everyone (it is on the long side and rather stiff).

BC makes my periods much lighter but I remain a menstrual cup convert. Now I can empty mine once a day.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yep mega heavy periods changing tampons every 1hr an half get through a whole box of 25 in three days - I'm 44 in May and have 4 kids.

However accidentally discovered after drinking golden milk every night for two weeks that my period is much lighter and less problematic so now I take it every month - turmeric is an anti inflammatory

My friends also drink it now to help them and it does help. Not that will for everyone but here's hoping.

All my friends suffer from mega heavy periods so defo an age thing
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I give another vote to the mentrual cup. I'm on birth control so my periods are pretty light but I can pretty much ignore my period for half a day since I started using the cup