Anyone in UK on a daily limit of 1.5k cals?

Options
Hello,

Any of you wonderful people on a daily limit of around 1500 calories and live in the U.K.? I'm finding a lot of the recipies are based for the USA users.

*waves* I'm in Leicestershire, England - 26 yr old female

Replies

• racheldixon111
    racheldixon111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in Wakefield UK:-) I'm on 1580 calories
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    When I find an interesting recipe with measurements or ingredients I am not familiar with (usually USA recipies) i do the following:
    If measurements are given in cups I use the stated cup measurement ( I think I found a cheap set of measuring cups and spoons in a pound shop!) and then simply weigh the contents in grams.
    If the recipe has ingredients I don't recognise by name, I Google it.
    I'm not sure if that helps you with your dielema.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am in UK and on 1200 calories a day. It's only lower than 1500 because I am a shorty and also in my mid-40s(metabolism gets slower as you get older ). I will weigh my food in grams or I will log it individually...i.e. One blackberry or one olive at a time. Some of the foods on the search function are entered incorrectly with lower than reality calorie counts...so I am also very careful about using it blindly. To get nutrient counts for my homemade dishes, I log each ingredient individually and manually add up the nutrition data per gram. Then multiply by however many grams I eat.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm in bristol

I just measure everything on grams but I too have a set of us measuring cups for when needed
  • mldhall
    mldhall Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm interested in seeing what low calorie dishes you guys have - it'll hopefully give some inspiration!
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I get loads of Pinterest and damndelicious is really good as well, really interesting and tasty meals, but a US site but you get used to it. DeliciouslyElla is good to, uk site, and you can easily add meat to all her dishes.
  • adelitazzz75
    adelitazzz75 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm in the north east of England & on 1500 calls per day. I have a converter app on my phone which makes it very easy to change US measurements to grams. Can recommend a site called 'slimming eats' - www.slimmingeats.com
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    croftie4 wrote: »
    I'm in bristol

I just measure everything on grams but I too have a set of us measuring cups for when needed

be wary of using measuring cups. grams is a MUCH much better way of being accurate.

Also, American measuring cups are slightly different to UK measuring cups. So a US cup is 137ml and a UK cup is 150ml. That doesn't matter so much when baking as the consistent use of the same measuring method is the more important thing, but that could well affect calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Uk, and on 1600 if that helps? my diary is open to friends.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I deliberately make my meals low calorie. There are some coking habits I have that are de facto low calorie like steaming my veg and never adding a pat of butter to them. I also always buy the leanest cut/mince of meat and trim any extra fat off. I do mostly cook from scratch which results in lower calorie and healthier versions of foods...e.g. Pizza. I prefer my salads naked with no dressing..just a taste preference as I like to taste the individual vegetables. I don't fry anything...I just have a nonstick steel pan. I tend to bake rather than roast. I do substitutions at times like applesauce instead of sugar when baking a cake or vegetable stock to flavour mash instead of butter. I do eat butter every day though! (Usually on an English muffin or toast) I don't buy low fat versions of stuff, like I eat full fat cheese, semi skimmed milk, full fat yogurt. I think what I have found it that while most people would have a single chicken breast at 150grams....I will cut off a third and eat 100g of chicken. So basically I cook from scratch so I know exactly what's in my dish, I always weigh and the weight control is really about eating a portion that is a little smaller than average. This makes sense to me because I am smaller than average (only 5ft 1inch tall). My husband is 6ft tall and he used to dish up equal servings for us...it would drive me nuts! Now we're using this app he better understands why I simply cannot eat as much as he does. He used to think I was being picky and making a subtle statement he was eating too much by my eating less. But nowadays we'll be constantly like "I have x calories left today" comparing them really opened his eyes into the fact that there is no one size fits all right amount of food to eat. It is very individual.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1500-1600 a day and living in Suffolk :smile: my diary is open!