Saxenda

Options
I just started saxenda 1 1/2 weeks ago and I am just as hungry now as I was before I started .. when will I see some results

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Saxenda is not a weight-loss medicine or appetite suppressant.

Is it helping with your insulin levels?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    This is a medication that is supposed to help insulin levels, that carries an increased risk of thyroid cancer as well as pancreatitis.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    That's probably a question for the doctor who prescribed it to you.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    10 days is an awful short time for anything to happen. And it's not magic, either...it's about mindset and forming new habits. If you entirely rely on a drug to suppress your appetite and do all the work for you, you're in for a long road.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Are you relying solely on an external force (well, sort of, I appreciated you are putting something in) to keep your eating in check? If so it's never going to work. You have to commit completely because once you top taking the drug you can easily slip into old habits, whether it's a side effect of stopping or psychosomatic; "oh no, what do I do now I don't have the drugs?!".
  • kbshuler1
    kbshuler1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The time it takes for each individual to see the effects of the medicine will differ. Yes, it does work to help insulin levels. High insulin levels cause you to store you energy instead of using it so your body thinks you still need more calories, thus you feel hungry.

Once this medication starts to work you will feel less hungry because you body will be correctly using the energy that you are feeding it.

3mg is the dose that has been researched for weight loss. If you are titrating up weekly, it will take you 5 weeks to get to that dose and you will only see the full effect of the medication after your body adjusts to that dose.
  • SarahStarr86
    SarahStarr86 Posts: 121 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi there! I used Saxenda successfully for about 2.5 months. I lost great weight. I started it to help me with my snacking and appetite. I lost my appetite within the first week but that is different for everyone. However, like everyone else has said, once you're off of it, you can regain if you don't watch it. I felt so confident coming off of Saxenda because I felt like I had control...but Saxenda is what was providing the control, not my discipline. So quickly after, I remembered what hunger felt like and went off deep end bingeing. I was able to get control of myself and have had to relearn the same discipline that I need to get to the end of my journey. I appreciate Saxenda because it showed me that I can actually go to bed without raiding the pantry but I almost wish that I wouldn't have taken it because I could've mastered this thing called discipline by now. I haven't gained any weight back but it was stressful for a minute trying to get myself wrapped back tight and right in the mental department.
    My sister's experience was a little different. She took Saxenda all of the way to goal and has had no problems maintaining. She was eating 1200 calories while on Saxenda and now maintains with anywhere between 1800-2000 a day.

Saxenda was useful but like everyone has said, if you don't learn the proper behavior, a weightloss drug is only masking the problem. On the other hand, it's much easier to just have to maintain by eating your maintenance calories which are substantially higher than trying to stay a deficit for a extended period of time. To each their own, I guess. Do what's right for you at the end of the day :)