Apple Watch

Options
Does anyone use an Apple Watch ? Are they accurate on total daily calories burned. ?

Replies

• cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    My apple watch gives me almost spot on for calories that the TDEE calculators have given me. Plus, when I eat within the range given to me by the watch I do lose weight.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I've had mine about a year and still have no idea how accurate it is.
  • SarahStarr86
    SarahStarr86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the kind of workout you do. I do HIIT/circuit training and a lot of the time when I look down to check my watch, it's trying to search for my heart rate. When I run/jog it does a good job. I, however, prefer to use my Polar FT4, never loses my heart rate and I've used it for years. When my Polar dies, I plan to replace it with the Polar H7 that can connect to my Apple Watch so my Apple Watch will read the heart rate given from the Polar chest strap and calculate the calories burned.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I think it is safe to say that it is inaccurate, but it isn't as easy to say how inaccurate it is. It is likely starting with a calculated TDEE and then adjusting from there based on how far and how quickly it moves. It probably filters out some types of movement, but that means it probably doesn't count some movement correctly. The only accurate way to measure calorie burn is by measuring the amount of oxygen you are using. They do make a small portable device for that, but it isn't cheap and most people would feel silly walking around all day with something covering their nose and mouth.
  • kelly1142
    kelly1142 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I got an Apple Watch for Christmas and stopped using my FitBit. Between the two, I found the FitBit was overestimating my steps and calories - the Apple Watch seems much more realistic.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    kelly1142 wrote: »
    I got an Apple Watch for Christmas and stopped using my FitBit. Between the two, I found the FitBit was overestimating my steps and calories - the Apple Watch seems much more realistic.

What are you comparing them to to determine accuracy?