New and feeling like I'm alone in all this

Options
I'm 19, and the only one in my household on a weightloss plan which can be stressful at times. I joined this site hoping to have at least a little circle of support but haven't really made any friends on here other than a friend who I went to school with. It'd be nice to make connections with people who have gone through a weightloss plan or is going through one now. ^_^

Replies

• bergebl03
    bergebl03 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm in kind of the same boat with you, only one in my family who's on this weight loss plan so I definitely have to look her for support :)
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    Hey! I'm 20, and I'm off in college so I'm kind of on my own. add me :)
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.
    I'm also the only one in my household on a weight loss plan.
    I even exercise in secret.

This place has been awesome to me so far. <3
  • janiecorona
    janiecorona Posts: 248
    Options
    First, you are not alone. Just the fact that there are sites like this shows how many people are going through similar struggles with their weight. It's difficult to eat healthy in a household where others don't. The temptations are outstanding! I give in some times, nibble here, nibble there. But the trick is moderation. Don't eat all of it just because it's there. Definitely a mind trick! Anyway, know that I am here with you, I'm also new to this forum, so I'm also looking for people to connect with and find some support.
  • dmburke11
    dmburke11 Posts: 5
    Options
    good luck and stick with it. it seems like you have a few new friends now but if you need more, let me know.
  • Hammrz
    Hammrz Posts: 4
    Options
    Don't feel bad, I've been on here for two weeks and haven't spoken to anyone either...I was wondering if there were any actual real people on here or not...but you're not alone!
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    don't feel alone, keep persevering!!! If you like you can add me as a friend and we can do our best to support each other:)
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, I'm not quite in your boat, but I'm full of motherly advice :) Try starting a thread specific to who you are and the kind of friends your looking for. Might search to look for a similar topic from the past then friend some folks. Usually there are plenty of responses.
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, I've been on here for two weeks and haven't spoken to anyone either...I was wondering if there were any actual real people on here or not...but you're not alone!
    '

Oh there's real live people! Lol I was on here about three months with a break somewhere in there and just started talking with people on the site and supporting them and getting it in return.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    You are SO not alone in this! I've been here less than a week, and it's already been helping me in my goals and mindset! Oh! And I read your profile. That cute lolita dress you were talking about? I want one of those too. You just reminded me of that. Remember, we're all in this together... :D
  • southwestern25
    Options
    hi;) i will be happy to be your friend and share any tips i have--lost 11 pds so far---
  • Sdkohls
    Sdkohls Posts: 4
    Options
    I totally understand how you are feeling. I am the only one in my household also on a weight loss plan. I am a single mother and my daughter and I live with my parents. I take care of my parents and they buy any kind of food they want. My dad loves fast food and sweets. It is very hard.

Good luck with your weight loss plan.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Girlfriend, I'm in the same boat, although I'm not 19. :oD I'm the only one in my home trying to loose weight so I know how hard that can be. Feel free to add me. :o)
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I'm 40 (well almost) so might not be the type of motivational friend you are looking for, but I didn't want that to stop me from letting all of you know how proud of you I am - starting weight loss - but more importantly a healthy and fit lifestyle when young is outstanding - i wish I had been more focused on it at your ages - that is just so awesome and you ALL deserve huge applause :)

Hugs and knuckle bumps as appropriate for the praise you all deserve :)
  • TLW77
    TLW77 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.

I am sorry to hear you have to exercise or atleast feel like you have to exercise in secret.

to OP or anyone else add me if you want some support. I have been here since January and as you can see from my stats below I have lost weight. I am not only the only one in my house losing weight, but I am also the only one with a weight problem. I don't feel alone. I did at first, but my family supports me and I just had to get focused on myself and all just kind of fell into place.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. Find some supportive friends, read the board if you have time. It's actually pretty loud here. :P
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 (well almost) so might not be the type of motivational friend you are looking for, but I didn't want that to stop me from letting all of you know how proud of you I am - starting weight loss - but more importantly a healthy and fit lifestyle when young is outstanding - i wish I had been more focused on it at your ages - that is just so awesome and you ALL deserve huge applause :)

Hugs and knuckle bumps as appropriate for the praise you all deserve :)

You, sir, are awesome for going for your goal and supporting us in going for OUR goals. Thank you for setting another example! :D
  • apriljmcmillan
    apriljmcmillan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey there... I'm April. I noticed your post when I logged in today and decided to say hello. I just live with my husband, and he isn't on any weight loss plan, but he does try to stay healthy and has always been athletic. I like being active, but its not something that I have been consistent with at all, and so I have found that I need to seek out new ways to be motivated and stay on track. This site and the phone app have been a huge help. I've been at it for a while (and I've started over a few times!) but lately I'm on a pretty good streak of staying consistent as far as logging my food and working out. The past week I have slacked off a bit but I am back on here to nip that before I lose the progress I have made!

It does help a lot to know someone who is also trying to meet a similar goal. I am blessed to have a friend at work who is using this site and we share with each other about our weigh-ins, workouts we have done, and food tips. I have always thought of myself as a loner when it comes to fitness but now I'm finding that this simple change of talking to my friend about it has been a big help in building some consistency.

What is your goal? How is it going so far? What do you feel are your biggest challenges to moving forward?

If you want to add me, I'd be happy to share any encouragements to help you along. Now with all these replies on here, in such a short time, you can see that you're really not alone at all! I hope this encourages you to go after your goals with greater passion!!
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Yall arent alone! There are a lot of good folks on here, and that makes for great motivation and support! I will be more than glad to help you guys out any way I can, feel free to add me. Good luck and you CAN do it! Trust me!!!!
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.

I am sorry to hear you have to exercise or atleast feel like you have to exercise in secret.
    It kinda sucks doing it in secret. When I was buying weights and a yoga mat and exercise DVD's my mother was looking at me like I was crazy. My step dad doesn't even know.. and I just know all he would do is make fun of me. The only one remotely supportive is my younger sister, she said she would do this with me.. but so far she hasn't done anything.

OP: It's hard, but you will get your own routine down for foods you know you need to hold back on and others you don't! Buy lots of healthy snacks. It helps a lot when all you want to do is eat a large snack that's similar in size to a full meal.