Vegetarian Protein Sources

Options
I'm not one to always use tofu for everything. But, I do find myself relying on beans (especially garbanzo) more often than not.

Although, I did just get a batch of TVP to experiment with...

But, does anyone have ideas on what to use that isn't pre-made faux meat and whatnot?

I don't want to grow bored...

Replies

• Shells77
    Shells77 Posts: 22
    Options
    Okay, not so exciting a topic, I'd take it.

Still looking for advice, though. :-)
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    How to Get Protein on a Vegetarian Diet:

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/tp/protein.htm

Also, google the subject
  • comcatee
    comcatee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a good source and is very versatile and delicious :)
  • funchandie
    Options
    I agree with comcatee - Quinoa is a wonderful source of protein...I use it ALL the time. You can even just sprinkle it over salad. Greek yogurt is another low fat high protein option. I like Chobani brand and it has 13 grams of protein.
  • vancouveritegirl
    Options
    Lentils (make awesome lentil burgers and great in soups), mushrooms, you can use portobello as your "meat" of the dish. Cheese! Yes it has fat but even just TWO tablespoons of grated parmesean cheese has 18 grams of protein. Protein powders are great for smoothies or mixed into steel cut oatmeal, greek yogurt, eggs, milk...
  • Madrow
    Madrow Posts: 62
    Options
    The TVP is versatile but one of those things I had to look up recipes about because I had no idea how to really cook with it besides putting it in pasta sauce lol
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I love hemp products for protein.
  • kidzpastorlynn
    Options
    Beans & Brown Rice together make a complete protein. I like red beans, black beans, or lentils. I make a yummy vegetable soup and add beans & rice. I like your question, it has been on my mind a bit too. I am not a vegetarian (yet), but I rarely eat any kind of meat... maybe once every few days. I seem to do very well on protein, though. I eat greek yogurt (high in protein), cheese, idk... I just know when you don't eat meat you have to get the nutrients meat supplies from a well planned vegetarian diet. I just don't know exactly what that means or what it takes. Hmmm... homework, research time.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, almond milk, greek yogurt, nuts, lentils, chickpeas, cheese in general.
  • Shells77
    Shells77 Posts: 22
    Options
    Yes, I understand Google is a tool I can use. It was more about people within this community and what THEY think, but your sarcasm is duly notes.

But, thank you so much for all of those who offered advice!!

I am able to implement most of these things on a regular basis and have some recipes at the ready thanks to GOOGLE!

:-)