Running Fuel

Options
I am new to running. I am starting to run longer distances (up to 5 miles now, so not like a marathon, but longer than I've ever run).

How do you fuel yourself pre and post run?

I have been running mostly in the evening so I have dinner then run...but then I am SO HUNGRY again at like midnight but need to sleep at 10.

Honestly, I suck at dealing with food as it is so trying to find the right kind of and right amount of food and when to eat it isn't simple for me.

I would love to hear YOUR routine, bonus points for how far you run.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm weird in that I prefer running after eating a larger meal about an hour or two before, but this is not the norm.

Things like bananas, toast with peanut butter, nuts, etc are typically good choices.

If I'm running longer than an hour, I try to bring something like a GU gel or some gummy chews to keep me going. I ran 8 miles this past Friday and significantly could tell the difference that I had nothing around mile 6. Last two miles I was a bit more fatigued.

After a run, I'm also weird that I am not hungry. So I typically drink a protein shake and eat and hour or two later.

A lot of it is trial and error though for what works for you.
  • bmarie0408
    bmarie0408 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If it's not longer than 45min to an hour, I don't eat anything - I prefer to run first thing in the morning. On my long run days (9-11 miles), I'll have an egg, toast and almond butter 2-3 hours before I run and I'll have a GU gel after an hour.
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    I'm weird in that I prefer running after eating a larger meal about an hour or two before, but this is not the norm.

Things like bananas, toast with peanut butter, nuts, etc are typically good choices.

If I'm running longer than an hour, I try to bring something like a GU gel or some gummy chews to keep me going. I ran 8 miles this past Friday and significantly could tell the difference that I had nothing around mile 6. Last two miles I was a bit more fatigued.

After a run, I'm also weird that I am not hungry. So I typically drink a protein shake and eat and hour or two later.

A lot of it is trial and error though for what works for you.

This is exactly where I get into trouble post-run in the evening. I stopped running like 1.5 hours ago and still am not hungry...but need to go to bed and know that I have to eat *something* or I will wake up at midnight feeling like I might die if I don't eat NOW.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Have a banana, a glass of milk or a slice of cheese before you go to bed. Make sure you aren't dehydrated too, because that can make you think you're hungry.

I can't run after a big meal. Even after a light lunch or breakfast I need to wait 1 1/2 hours or more before I head out or I get really nauseous. I do most of my runs either before lunch or before dinner, so I eat my meal after I get back.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Up to 10 miles I don't bother. Just a coffee.
  • Jeff_01022014
    Jeff_01022014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I run soon after I wake and will eat my normal breakfast i.e. 2 honey sandwiches or 160 grams of cereal with 400ml of almond milk. After, I only drink until lunch (distances up to marathon). One day a week I run (about 20km) too early, so I eat my normal breakfast when I get home.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    On running days why not just eat more through the day, then you might not be so hungry after.

I run in the morning fasted or an hour or so after a bowl of cereal or early evening before my main meal.