Apple Watch vs Fitbit

Options
Anyone had both? I have a watch and wondering if it would be worth getting a Fitbit. If anyone has insight on using both I would appreciate it

Replies

• saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I am waiting that (A) battery is better and (B) Google Wear 2.0 due soon. I have concerns for the accuracy of these watch in heart beat monitoring. For now, I swear by my wahoo chest strip.
  • mswag84
    mswag84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The wore a chest strap once and the watch was surprisingly close to the strap 5% or so
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    depends really on whether you want to spend $100 or $700 - it's like comparing a Hyundai to a Mercedes.
  • mswag84
    Options
    depends really on whether you want to spend $100 or $700 - it's like comparing a Hyundai to a Mercedes.

I have the Apple Watch already that I use for daily life....just wondered if the fitness part was as good as the fitness tracker that is specifically designed for such things
  • Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have an Apple Watch and got the Fitbit Charge 2 on release. While I really liked it in the beginning, I'm already back to using my Apple Watch full time, really disappointed in the Fitbit.

As far as exercise tracking using heart rate went, it was fairly accurate, same as the Apple Watch. Like the watch it of course uses an optic HR sensor so it's accurate for cardio but not so much for strength training or other activities where the veins in your arms are moving around a lot.

The problem with the Fitbit however is the constant tracking of HR. It uses it all day to determine calorie burn and thus I ended up with around 500 extra calories burned daily compared to the Apple Watch and previous used fitness bands without HR. I did the math and there is no way that could be true. It's overestimating calories burned during normal activities because my heart rate is slightly elevated for whatever reason.

For example, I went on holiday for a while, eating a lot of crap and this made my heart rate go up a lot. This resulted in me burning even more calories while doing nothing, which is ridiculous.

Besides that the quality is also crap. I used it from September till early januari and the glue that is used to keep the band together is already starting to let loose. I did wear it all the time except when showering, but that’s the point of the Fitbit so it should be able to take that. Battery capacity has also gotten way worse over the course of those few months.

So yea, my advice would be to stick to your Apple Watch. The Fitbit is in no way superior to tracking your exercises (it’s about the same) and daily activity is overestimated resulting in a calorie burn that’s too high. If I were to blindly follow my Fitbit I’d have gained a lot of weight in those few months.
  • mswag84
    Options
    Thank you for the input! It's exactly what I was looking for.