To many calories

Options
Can somebody please help, I think MFP is grossly over calculating my calories burned during a workout. In less than an hour it calculated over 8000 calories PLEASE HELP

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yeah, that's definitely wrong. Which specific exercise are you trying to log and how are you logging it (ie - entering it manually into your exercise diary, using an activity tracker, etc)?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Can somebody please help, I think MFP is grossly over calculating my calories burned during a workout. In less than an hour it calculated over 8000 calories PLEASE HELP

I think you must have put a number in wrong.

What activity are you trying to get a number for?
  • runawaycowgirl
    runawaycowgirl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I entered it manually, gym legs at 20 minutes and swimming laps 30 minutes and that's what it calculated
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Good lord, yes that's really, really wrong.
  • runawaycowgirl
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Haha I know, I did a 30 minute walk a couple weeks ago and that was around the 5000 mark. I don't know what's going wrong or how to fix it?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your weight is entered right? and height?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Haha I know, I did a 30 minute walk a couple weeks ago and that was around the 5000 mark. I don't know what's going wrong or how to fix it?

What on earth are you entering?

I can't say I've ever had MFP give me 5000 calories for a 30 min walk.
  • runawaycowgirl
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Height, weight, gender, age all correct and I entered exactly what I said above. I took a screenshot but can't share it
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    That's very odd, there's either a programming glitch on MFPs end or something on yours. You know you can manually change that number to anything you want...

I always think it's kinda funny when people say to eat back half your exercise calories, meaning a bunch of mental calculations when all you have to do is change the calorie number when you select your exercise.
  • runawaycowgirl
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yeah but I'm not gonna just make up a number, what's the point. I'm supposed to be tracking my exercise etc.

I don't see what I am doing wrong, I put in the activity and the duration I do it for. MFP calculates the calories, well its supposed to any way :/
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get it; something is VERY weird and you want it to be as correct an estimate as possible, no doubt. However in the short term, there are websites where you can calculate your exercise calories you can use in the meantime, and enter those numbers. Have you let MFP know by contacting them in the MFP help board? They definitely need to know. Good luck!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Once of the worst mashups on MFP is the exercise function. I don't use it at all for that reason. I also don't like the fact that it ADDS calories burned to your overall calorie total allotment. My advice is to use some other one, like this one: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/healthtool-exercise-calculator.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Once of the worst mashups on MFP is the exercise function. I don't use it at all for that reason. I also don't like the fact that it ADDS calories burned to your overall calorie total allotment. My advice is to use some other one, like this one: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/healthtool-exercise-calculator.

It's supposed to add calories. MFP uses the NEAT method, your calorie goal is before purposeful exercise.

OP, this is really odd. I don't log exercise manually as I have a synced tracker but I just went in and went through the process to add and it's working fine for me. It's weird that this is only happening to you.

This is what happens when I manually enter walking.

qfaaa7p6l8wj.jpeg
  • runawaycowgirl
    Options
    Carlydogsmum thanks I'll look at that app and no I haven't let them know yet, but I will. Vintagefeline can you please tell me how you added the pic, I took screen shots to show ppl but can't add it?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm on desktop and there's an icon that looks like a piece of paper with a corner folded down. Click that.

On iOS app site, there's a little camera above the reply box to the right.
  • runawaycowgirl
    Options
    Mate if only it were that easy to burn 5000 calories lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Seriously, check your weight and height again. Make sure you're using Imperial or Metric, whichever you prefer. (You know, pounds or kilograms, etc.)

Go to MY HOME > GOALS > View Guided Setup:

Here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
  • runawaycowgirl
    Options
    I'm using metric mate cause I'm Australian lol :D but that still doesn't equal over 8000 calories for a 50 minute workout