Feeling very hungry and discouraged

2»

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Yes, it's not a big deal - basically all estimates (food and exercise) have some degree of error, so you have to just pick a method, stick with it for a while (like several weeks) and see what happens. If you lose faster or slower than expected, adjust your estimates.

My method is to err on the side of overestimating my food (though I suspect I'm pretty accurate really), and err on the side of underestimating the time I spend exercising - so if I walked between 20 and 25 min, I log 20. Having done that, I eat all the calories back. I lose weight pretty much at the rate myfitnesspal predicts, so my estimates are working for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I am not in a place yet where I feel comfortable sharing my weight. It took me about 3 years to actually face the scale! I was in sweet denial for so long and now I'm recovering from the shock!!! It's really shame based. Maybe some day I'll get over it.
    I am 5'5 and want to lose 40 to 45 pounds ideally. Thank you!

With 40 to 45 pounds to lose, set your weekly weight loss goal to no more than a pound a week. Many of us have made the mistake of trying to use the 2 pound/week goal when it is not appropriate for the amount we need to lose.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    One big question I have is how many exercise calories can you safely eat back and still and lose your weekly goal weight?

MFP uses the NEAT method, and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back.

My FitBit One is far less generous with calories than the MFP database and I comfortably eat 100% of the calories I earn from it back.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • sparklepegasus
    sparklepegasus Posts: 13 Member
    Thank you!