Newbie w/ Quinoa ; I Have ????'s

Options
Melis25Fit
Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
So I made it first time tonight. First of all, the package says to rinse it well first before you boil it? How the heck do I rinse those little things? They'll go right through my strainer, so I didn't. I tried putting them in my hand, but they stuck all over to my hand. Uff.

Secondly, I boiled/simmered it for 10-15 mins, and then it got kind of fluffy and clearish. But whats the consistency supposed to be like? Fluffy like rice? Because mine was just a little bit gloppy.

( I added garlic and sauteed veggies to it after it was cooked and it was delicious.)

I find that it isn't real flavorful by itself.
I'd like to try it next as a breakfast dish. What else do you put in yours?
Thanks!

Replies

• melsie0110
    Options
    I use a sifter to wash the quinoa. For breakfast I add cinnamon, diced apple and a packet of splenda.
  • Getfitgirl32
    Options
    Rinse it in the pot you are cooking it in, pour off the "floating bits". Cook until it is fluffy like rice. I put it in Greek salad and serve it over abed of lettuce.....so good! You can also cook it in stock but that increases your daily sodium intake.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I cook it in chicken or beef broth with garlic and onions, which add a lot of extra flavor.
  • phatphd
    phatphd Posts: 45
    Options
    I use a sifter to drain my quinoa and definitely recommend rinsing it first - it has a rather bitter resin coating on it that can completely alter the flavor of the quinoa if not rinsed.

It should be pretty fluffy like rice when cooked. I like to add roasted beets, parsley and mint, and a lemon vinaigrette for a rich, sweet salad.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I use a fine strainer to rinse. Once I bring it to a boil, I cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes (depending on the amount) until the water is absorbed and it's the consistency of sticky rice. I haven't done it for breakfast yet, but for dinner I add a little peanut butter, Thai peanut sauce and ground ginger. Sometimes I steam broccoli and add that as well. SO good!!! :happy:
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Oooh - made this two nights ago......

Added some medium rare cooked steak strips, chopped mushrooms, sliced zuchinni and a chopped tomato - yum....

And kept a little bit (of the quinoa) which I added to my salad yesterday for lunch.....
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • raj73
    raj73 Posts: 11
    Options
    I love quinoa...for breakfast i add sultanas, chopped apple, Walnuts, almond milk and a little honey to taste...mmmmmmm yum yum. Keeps me going all day long.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I use a screen strainer, run it under cool tap water for a minute or so and it's fine. I cook it in my rice steamer using the white rice setting and it comes out soft and fluffy. Haven't tried it for breakfast but the taste is so mild it would probably go just fine with anything you'd use oatmeal for.
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Been eating it for years and have never rinsed it. It should be light and fluffy. Cooks much faster than rice. I like to throw a veggie bullion cube into the pot to add some flavor. You can also add some dried cranberries and toasted slivered almonds when it's almost done cooking.
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    I've never rinsed it either - I also use a screen strainer/sieve. I think it's the only way. You can pick one up from Target for pretty cheap. They look like this: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-8-Inch-Double-Strainer/dp/B00004OCLX

Someone posted this recipe on the boards the other day and it's awesome. Also, I like my quinoa with a little crunch, so I try not to cook it too long.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/health/nutrition/13recipehealth.html
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I NEVER rinse mine, it is supposed to be fluffy like rice. I'm not sure what gloppy is....but that is not right!

It doesn't have a lot of flavor on it's own, I like it with salt pepper and lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.

You can cook it in broth if you want (veggie, beef, chicken) whatever best goes with the dish you are cooking.

I like to use it in stuffed peppers instead of rice.

Make it as part of a stirfry, so the sauce you use will flavor it.

For breakfast I like it with vanilla almond milk and a few drops of liquid vanilla stevia. You can add dried fruit as well.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Ok rinsing - I do mine through a muslin cloth. So I put the cloth in the sieve or colander and then rinse the Quinoa through it.

I have never managed to get it really fluffy like rice, but I do keep it on the heat for as long as possible, stirring rapidly to remove as much moisture as possible then sort of fluff it with a fork. :)

Last night I made Quinoa burgers:

Put in a processor
    - Cooked Quinoa (1/2 cup dry)
    - One grated carrot
    - 3 - 5 Spring onions finely sliced
    - Grated rind of one lime and the juice
    - 1 egg
    - 1/2 cup wholewheat bread crumbs
    - Salt, pepper and chili flakes (optional)
    - 300gm White Beans

Pulse till it is like a mince.
    Refrigerate for 15 mins then form into 1/2 inch patties on a floured surface.
    Cook in a hot pan for 5 - 8 mins or golden brown :)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Oooh - made this two nights ago......

Added some medium rare cooked steak strips, chopped mushrooms, sliced zuchinni and a chopped tomato - yum....

And kept a little bit (of the quinoa) which I added to my salad yesterday for lunch.....

This sounds FANTASTIC! I am soooo going to try this soon!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I rinse it in a small mesh strainer. Sounds like you cooked it perfectly! I like to do all sorts of things to my quinoa :laugh: Sometimes I drizzle agave nectar and chili sauce over the top. Super delic!
  • Madrow
    Madrow Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I love quinoa but never prepared it myself, so I'm ready to try all these great ideas! And hats off to you for losing 124 lbs!