Wanting to try preworkout & protein shakes, need suggestions

Options
Hi!

I have 20 pounds left I would like to lose. I've lost 35 pounds so far. I Was told preworkout would be a good option to push my workouts farther. I was wondering what one would be the best to help me on my weight loss journey to burn the fat and create lean muscle?

Also in the market for a new protein shake. Should I stick with with the casein protein? I usually work out at night time and I'm prone to raiding the fridge after and would like something that will keep me full longer.

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Are you too tired to train? If not, there is no need for pre-workout. As for protien. If you are reaching your protein goal through food, there is no need to supplement. Casein protein is slow digesting, so it's better suited to take before bed. I would switch to Whey, which is faster digesting. Neither will you help you lose weight.
  • McMichael28
    McMichael28 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Personally I use Jym pre, post, and protein from that line as well. You can find it at GNC but I order online to save a couple bucks. The "Pre" gives a good boost with caffeine, and a good core supplement start, the post is where your BCAA's come into play, and I usually take the protein in a shake a couple times a day, lately I've been using the whey isolate from Walmart by muscletech and it's pretty damn tasty and 60g of protein with lots of vitamins and very low fat content like 3-1g low

I would only advise casein right before you go to bed. Your body needs fast digestion during the day as well so your body can chew the fat through a boosted metabolism. The key for me having lost the weight was just that, "listening" so to speak to yiur metabolism, and fridge raiding can be your body saying "feed your muscles" instead of what we are thinking "feed your stomach"
  • ItsAllMental819
    ItsAllMental819 Posts: 68 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Congrats on losing 35lbs so far ashleynne! There are several pre workout drinks available that will help with weight loss and allow you to train harder & more focused. IMO before taking any supplements, other than maybe a protein powder, one should focus on diet and getting at least 6 - 8 hours sleep nightly. Now if you have already been doing this there are several pre workouts available - most are very similar. Caffeine(varying mg) & beta-alinine are usually always in 'em... Since you workout at night you may want to be careful since there is a high amount of caffeine in these drinks and you might have a hard time sleeping. If you do decide to try one I'd start with half a serving. There is a thread about pre workout drinks you might want to check out with different suggestions, C4 seemed popular... Right now I'm taking Shatter Black Onyx and I like it. Tastes good and doesn't give me that jittery feeling.

As for protein I'd switch to whey especially for your post workout protein drink.
    I use Muscle Tech Whey Protein Plus because Sam's Club has it for 39$ for 6lbs.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i like to get my protein from food, and i make my own pre workout get all the supplements from powder city to make the pre work out
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Preworkouts are typically a mix of amino acids and caffeine. If you go this route, look for a preworkout that has Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine in a 2:1:1 ratio to each other and 200mg caffeine.

That said, the aminos won't do much to foster muscle protein synthesis (MPS) if they're in a high-protein environment already, e.g. you've eaten a high protein meal within about two hours.

Post-workout, 40g of protein has some decent science behind it to increase MPS as well.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to Isopure....I use the whey isolate and hubby uses the Dutch Chocolate Low Carb version. A 200mg caffeine pill with a glass of water is my preworkout.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    ashleynne wrote: »
    Hi!

I have 20 pounds left I would like to lose. I've lost 35 pounds so far. I Was told preworkout would be a good option to push my workouts farther. I was wondering what one would be the best to help me on my weight loss journey to burn the fat and create lean muscle?

Also in the market for a new protein shake. Should I stick with with the casein protein? I usually work out at night time and I'm prone to raiding the fridge after and would like something that will keep me full longer.

You've lost 35 pounds. I really don't see the need for you to change much, if anything, with your routine. Looks to me more like stay the course and continue your good work. Congrats on your efforts so far.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I would say try different ones to see what you like, but DON'T buy it from your friends on facebook, or instagram who work for certain companies, and try to pitch you why theirs is great. They will over charge you for what you are getting.
  • drakeshattuck
    drakeshattuck Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Why do pre-workout products even exist? Profit motive purely. Nothing has been proven that they do anything more than say eating fruit. Don't wast your money on supplements, spend it on high quality food, the kind you prepare yourself. Protein supplements help in getting enough protein if you are working out. Don't think for a second that protein overloading will force your body to gain more lean mass. You must have enough available for growth, but more will just be excess calories. Arnold Schwarzenegger used the rule of 1 gram per pound. He was the greatest of all time, super lean and he consumed that much to reach Mr. Universe status. For most of us, we don't need that much.

My diet really changed when I started watching my Potassium daily intake. If you want to hit your daily recommended amount (4700 mg) on a low calorie diet you'll have to eat a lot of green leafy veggies and lean meats/Salmon and carbs like sweet potatoes, bananas and white beans. Just what the doctor ordered.
  • drakeshattuck
    drakeshattuck Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to Isopure....I use the whey isolate and hubby uses the Dutch Chocolate Low Carb version. A 200mg caffeine pill with a glass of water is my preworkout.

Caffeine pill? Double shot espresso or Americano (espresso & water), or soy milk latte, 35 calories for me.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I make my own because I have some specific health issues and I wanted something that was additive free and the supply chain was completely visible to me. This is a fairly balanced drink (almost same protein as carbs and fat vs fiber.) There is no fruit in it, but, I have put banana in it in the past.

Here is the Nutrition Profile:

224 calories Per Serving; Total Fat 15 g; Total Carbohydrate 21 g; Dietary Fiber 14 g; Sugars 1 g; Protein 27 g;

Recipe:
    • 1.50 cup, Unflavored / Unsweetened Coconut Milk
    • 1 scoop, Plain Grass Fed Whey Protein Concentrate (I sometimes use Egg White or Hemp)
    • 5 grams, Modified Citrus Pectin (this is just personal preference)
    • 7 g (~0.5 oz), Moringa Powder (decent mix of protein; fiber; iron, vitamin A & vitamin K, vitamin E, calcium & magnesium; and antioxidants)
    • 12 g, Ground Black Chia Seeds (or Ground / Sprouted flax seed or Basil seed)
    • 1 scoop Vitamin B-complex Powder (helps with energy and recovery)
    • ¼ Teasp. Pure Inositol (Vitamin B8) Powder (helps with energy and regular cellular maintenance)

Taste wise, my husband says it tastes like @$$... but, it keeps us even and we're not raiding the fridge; or, if we do, a tablespoon of unsweetened peanut butter usually does the trick.

Here is a link to which amino acids specifically address energy:

http://www.livingthenourishedlife.com/4-amino-acids-that-improve-energy-and/

I would, though, have to caution that "burning the candle at both ends" is a lot like borrowing from a loan shark -- when it's time to pay up (and you don't have the cash) he'll break your knees. Working out at night can raise your cortisol levels, mess with your sleep schedule and your body will rebound on you when you stop.

Here is a link: https://www.yourhormones.com/adrenal-stress-adaptation/

Your cortisol actually peaks in the morning and exercise is more effective if you do it in the early am rather than later in the day. Your body then has time to recover.

Also, check your electrolytes - you just may need to take some (no not Gatorade) we use Natural Calm, Sea Salt, Potassium Chloride mixed with lemon and lime water. That helps a lot.