Fruit + Sugar = I am way over my goal help!

Options
2»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I am having a really hard time meeting my goals, I find the only way I can really meet my calorie goal is by snacking on ALOT of fruit (I am a hungry person!!) :smile:

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to over do it on my sugar but if I'm not reaching for fruit for snack, I turn to calorie or carb dense foods.

What are your goals?

Not to be so chubby

Good news is, you can still eat sugar (yes even added sugar) and carbs while losing weight.

Sugar does not cause weight gain, excess calories do.
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am having a really hard time meeting my goals, I find the only way I can really meet my calorie goal is by snacking on ALOT of fruit (I am a hungry person!!) :smile:

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to over do it on my sugar but if I'm not reaching for fruit for snack, I turn to calorie or carb dense foods.

What are your goals?

Not to be so chubby

Good news is, you can still eat sugar (yes even added sugar) and carbs while losing weight.

Yes but foods high in sugar spike insulin don't they? And raise ghrelin (the hunger hormone) levels? So wouldn't one be inclined to eat more often. (However despite finding this out I still haven't managed to give it up
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Tum22 wrote: »

What are your goals?

Not to be so chubby

Yes but foods high in sugar spike insulin don't they? And raise ghrelin (the hunger hormone) levels? So wouldn't one be inclined to eat more often. (However despite finding this out I still haven't managed to give it up

Not necessarily in the context of a balanced meal...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

What are your goals?

Not to be so chubby

I meant your macro goals. Protein, fat, carbs and fiber...
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

What are your goals?

Not to be so chubby

For weight loss the only thing that matters is that you're hitting the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals. If you can fit the fruit into your calorie target then you're good to go :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Tum22 wrote: »

What are your goals?

Not to be so chubby

Insulin spikes aren't harmful for non diabetics (bodybuilders spike insulin on purpose because it's a "muscle building hormone").

Also, different foods affect satiety and hunger levels differently for everyone. Myself, I've never experienced an increase in hunger due to consuming high sugar foods. In fact, I typically feel full longer after a meal if I have some bread with it or have a small dessert afterward.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I find hummous&veg, baked cheese niblets (mini cheddars), yoghurt, and biltong to be better snacks for managing my appetite. Might be worthwhile looking for some more substantial snacks and eating slightly less at proper meals.

But don't stress about going overthe sugar goal.
  • cuadrado12
    cuadrado12 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

How much fruit are you eating and do you feel like you're still hungry afterwards? I wouldn't be concerned about going over the sugar recommendations in MFP if it's coming from fruit. However, if you are truly always hungry then there may be some adjustments you can make in your diet to help with this. There have been a few studies that show that fruit doesn't really make you feel as satisfied as other foods so that is why I was asking :)

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I keep my fruit to about 1-2 servings per day and put a premium on veg.

If you're feeling hungry all of the time, you might need to switch up what you're eating. I eat a lot of complex carbohydrates like beans, lentils, oats, etc and they tend to keep me satiated. I have a couple of planned snacks in the afternoon...usually cottage cheese or Greek yogurt and usually one of my fruit servings.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If you want to keep sugar as part of your tracking try berries over other fruits. They tend to be lower in sugar and higher in fiber due to ingesting the seeds. If I have fruit as a snack I usually try to add a protein as well - some raw almonds or cheese cubes or dip apple slices in peanut or other nut butter. The protein will keep you full for a longer time than some of the fruits.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Being older, and a big guy, I fret about sugar, since diabetes is a stalking horse in my condition. I don't have sugar problems and certainly don't want them, so I am more aggressive about managing it, including monitoring with my MFP macros. I deliberately lowered my macro goal.

On the other hand, I've been going great guns with home cooking this past year, and this winter had seen me add some things, such as apple-parsnip soup and a couple of other cold-season dishes that use lots of apples or apple cider, for instance. These can send my daily sugar diary numbers through the roof. I'm not too concerned, because I think of these as acceptable - without my making the generally false distinction between "natural" and "added" sugars (it all has consequence), I think these spikes won't have the long-term downsides, as say, having sugary desserts (and snacks and confections) on the same frequency. I really try to avoid the latter, and am adopting a generally more lower-gylcemic-index approach, and I think in the long run, it's working out for the better for me.
  • xzsharp
    xzsharp Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    well I am on the same boat, I don't eat fruit because I am hungry but because I love the taste.

Coming from a Mediterranean warm country, fruit is like the best treat / snack for me.

Unfortunately couple of pieces gets me over my daily macro easily so now I am staying away from them :(

my friend does weight watchers and fruit+veg are free in there, you don't give up your allowance

Not sure what to do, any reasonable, backed up recommendation?
  • xzsharp
    Options
    Found these two great articles backed up by real science

https://authoritynutrition.com/is-fruit-good-or-bad-for-your-health/

and for the diabetes fella, fruits do help you and even in diabetes, it is a different story

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Enjoy-food/Eating-with-diabetes/Diabetes-food-myths/myth-fruit-diabetes/
  • xzsharp
    Options
    so *kitten* the macro, I am eating my fruits :)