Help! I'm over 40 and have the tastebuds of a 12 yr old kid!

Options
tkrossmail505
tkrossmail505 Posts: 3 Member
edited February 2017 in Introduce Yourself
I was always under weight until I hit my 30s, could eat whatever I wanted and not gain. Now my metabolism has hit a brick wall but the problem is, I don't like fruits and veggies and am not sure I can go a day without my beloved carbs. So what's a woman to do when she doesn't like healthy foods :)

Replies

• Mackenna77
    Mackenna77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut out the foods you like in order to lose weight or be healthy. I also love carbs way too much, but I've been able to lose almost 70 lbs by eating less, changing what I eat a little, and exercising. Remember that there are so many ways to eat fruit and veg. Most of the veggies I eat are cooked, and although I love fruit plain, I'm sure there are many ways to incorporate them. Also, if you never liked that sort of dood, chances are you haven't tried many types, right? Go to the store, find some fruit and veg you've never had, and try it!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Try roasting veggies. It's the only way I'll eat some of them. Like brussel sprouts.
  • laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just finished a bowl of roasted brussel sprouts, asparagus and zucchini ... so low in calories, but I genuinely enjoy them. I just cut out carbs for 1 meal ... no more toast at breakfast, but will use bread or pitas for lunch ... just have to plan and think ahead.
  • ivysjb
    ivysjb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love carbs too...mostly sugar and am about 3 weeks into giving them up. I've gradually cut them out...50% less the first week, then another 25% the second week and now this week has been so much easier to avoid all together. Now I have my carbs early in the day so I have some time to burn them off and keep dinner really light. Give yourself a plan that's aggressive but you can stick to and still improve.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Carbs are healthy foods. You can change your tastes if you want.

My suggestion would be to start trying vegetables and fruits in many different preparations. It doesn't need to all be salads and raw fruits/vegetables. Stir fry than and serve over rice or tossed with pasta. Toss them in oil and spices and roast to a delicious golden brown. Cook them and put them in a blender to make a delicious sauce or gravy.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! I force myself to eat some a few times a week (I eat it first to get it out of the way, then enjoy whatever else I have on my plate), then eat what I like at calorie goal the rest of the time.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Then keep the carbs. I betcha the big calories are in the added fats.
    I'm sensitive to texture and until I reached middle age I hated bitter foods. Get to the root of your dislike and adapt.
    If bitterness bothers you use iceberg instead of arugula.
    Children usually like corn. Try eating corn in different ways.