Thinking about joining crossfit... Any Advice?

I'm a big guy (6'6" 280 lbs) and not in great shape but I want to try cross fit because I think I'd like the structure of it. Any tips for someone new?

Replies

• Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Find a good box. Everything can and probably should be scaled for a newbie. If your goal is weight loss you still need a calorie deficit and if your goal is muscle gain, you need a surplus plus progressive heavy lifting (which I do get at crossfit, but not everyone does, hence my advice to get a good box.) I'm contract averse, so I'd stay away from those if possible. Learn to push yourself but not to the point of stupidity or injury. :)
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Look into an on-ramp class to make sure you learn how to do the moves correctly (I believe it is a requirement but just in case I am wrong I would absolutely go to one that has this). My box also has partner workouts every Saturday so those were always helpful because a lot of regulars would do the first class and then stay for the second to pair up with a newbie to help with form and offer encouragement.
    The biggest thing with cross-fit is to scale to your abilities and modify where needed while still pushing yourself to set yourself up for long term success.
  • JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    Just make sure you find one with a beginner/on-ramp program. With your stats, you are likely to get injured if you hop right into high volume box jumps, burpees, etc.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    It can't hurt to try! I joined last month and I enjoy it however it should be noted I'm a former student athlete so weight lifting and most of the exercises were really familiar to me.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Going off what other people said. A lot of the gyms in my area offer free first classes followed by discounted beginner programs. Do that if it's available. Learn the moves and get the form down over speed at first. Trying to do a move too fast and not paying attention to form is what leads to injuries.
  • msmoretz92
    msmoretz92 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for the input. There's only 2 within traveling distance of me and I know one has mandatory foundation classes to start. Ill be sure to focus on form first.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Coming from someone who has been doing CrossFit for a bit over 2 years -

Don't listen to anyone who talks bad about CrossFit. Most have never done it. Try it and then decide for yourself. My wife watched me do it for a year, never getting it, then finally decided she needed to do something (she was very out of shape and hadn't exercised in 4 kids). She's now a bigger fan of the sport than I am, and I go 5-6 days a week.

Don't compare yourself to anyone else. For a long while, your competition will be yourself. Every workout you'll challenge yourself to do better, either with weight, reps, time, or all of them. Sometimes at the beginning it will just be about doing it all.

Scaling is your friend. See above on not comparing yourself. There are always ways to make an exercise easier or harder. My wife couldn't run much at the beginning so she rowed in any workout where it called for running. Now she's getting into running, but still sometimes rows. Your coaches should not look down on scaling or substituting exercises. If they push you to do what you can't do in an unhealthy way, find a new box.

True Current Scaling Story - Up until 3 weeks ago, I had been sitting on the sideline for past 6 months due to a rotator cuff tear/surgery (not caused by CF, just normal wear and tear, warming up on the bench press it popped just under a year ago). I'm now back and the great thing is, even though there are a few things I can do almost as well as I did before, most things I need to scale now while I finish healing over the nexts 3-6 months. CrossFit still lets me get a great workout in regardless, and my coaches work with me to come up wiht alternatives if they are doing something I won't touch (i.e. hand stand push-ups). At the same time, some things I push myself on and they watch me and cringe. I know my body and am personally accountable. I did a few Toes to Bars yesterday to push things, but wasn't going to try real pull-ups so I had to use a band.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Do it!