New to working out

Options
Ive changed my diet and lost 25lbs, and now its time to tone up! New to working out and looking for people who have knowledge and won't be irritated with Newbie questions and will be supportive :)

Replies

• Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to join a gym and talk to people. Some will give you good advice. Also watch what the people who you think are looking good do... it is not hard to learn. start with the basics.
  • madsandy11
    madsandy11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Would start out with cable machines just so you can get some sort of basic idea of how to lift without the increased amount of danger that lifting free weights with improper form brings. If you're trying to tone and not bulk, remember more reps, less weight! If you have any questions feel free to message me and I'll try my best to help you out :)
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Best thing I did was join a gym who who offer loads of classes. I do a fab mixture of classes but also go in the gym and do my thing when I want to.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do to "tone up" is to find a good beginner strength program and follow it.

Here's a good list to peruse: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Additionally, if you don't have access to many free weights, and don't want to do a body weight routine, Lyle McDonald has a good machine program here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/

I'd generally recommend reading that entire series, but some people find that to be a bit much. But part 4 will get you started.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Bluwaves1 wrote: »
    Your best bet is to join a gym and talk to people. Some will give you good advice. Also watch what the people who you think are looking good do...

The problem with that approach is that many people look good following any strength program, even poorly designed ones, thanks to favorable genetics, and also a proper calorie intake. And there are lots of little details that gym people may leave out, like the order of the exercises, progression of weight, deloading, etc. Strength training is one of those areas where learning from professionals pays off. I'd either follow a proven program (like NROL4W for example), or hire a good personal trainer. They'll give you a customized program and also check your form.
    Many trainers frequent MFP, so if any questions come up, just ask. :+1:
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    madsandy11 wrote: »
    Would start out with cable machines just so you can get some sort of basic idea of how to lift without the increased amount of danger that lifting free weights with improper form brings. If you're trying to tone and not bulk, remember more reps, less weight! If you have any questions feel free to message me and I'll try my best to help you out :)

Not this. Nothing will benefit you more than barbell free weight movements. You cannot tone any muscles. Only reduce total body fat via caloric deficit, or increase total muscle mass induce (hypertrophy) via proper stimulus and a caloric surplus.

What are your goals? If it's to become stronger or more orientated with weights I second NROL4W, starting strength, or strong curves. Do not make your own program as others have suggested,
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    madsandy11 wrote: »

As Doctor Brad Schoenfeld has stated through research, low reps and high reps can be equal effective in stimulating a hypertrophic response, showing that it's total volume that matters more than total reps and weight. Many bodybuilders emphasis high reps low intensity for increasing mass and inducing a pump up which can also have an anabolic effect by increasing lactic acid levels in the muscle.

• jcpolk1856
    jcpolk1856 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Dsnelz wrote: »
    Ive changed my diet and lost 25lbs, and now its time to tone up! New to working out and looking for people who have knowledge and won't be irritated with Newbie questions and will be supportive :)

I'm very supportive! If you want to tone you should incorporate strength training into your cardio routine, if you have a cardio rountine lol