I've hit a plateau, please help.

Options
I've lost 23 lbs since late November and now I've hit a plateau. I'm eating 1200 calories a day, high protein. Weight training 4/7 days and cardio 2/7 days. How do I get over this plateau??

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? How long has it been since you lost weight?
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    How long have you been in a plateau?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You don't say how long you've been stalled - if it's only a week or two don't worry about it, but from my personal experience every plateau I have ever seen has been due to logging issues. Have you been using your food scale for ALL solids, measuring cups/spoons for all liquids? Using the recipe builder? Using accurate entries? Logging your exercise calories accurately? Logging everything that passes your lips?
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    We need more info. Height, weight, goal? If you're lifting 4 days a week, you've got to keep in account that muscle is dense. Even though the scale isn't moving, are your clothes fitting differently (looser)?
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    elopez1998 wrote: »
    I've lost 23 lbs since late November and now I've hit a plateau. I'm eating 1200 calories a day, high protein. Weight training 4/7 days and cardio 2/7 days. How do I get over this plateau??

Make sure you are logging accurately.

Change something. Eat more food for a few days. Do intermittent fasting (IF) for a week or two, either the 5:2 or eat within an 8 hour window. Try different exercise. Take a break for two weeks and eat slightly more, then go back to it.
  • elopez1998
    elopez1998 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You don't say how long you've been stalled - if it's only a week or two don't worry about it, but from my personal experience every plateau I have ever seen has been due to logging issues. Have you been using your food scale for ALL solids, measuring cups/spoons for all liquids? Using the recipe builder? Using accurate entries? Logging your exercise calories accurately? Logging everything that passes your lips?
    malibu927 wrote: »

• elopez1998
    Options
    My start weight was 216, now I'm at 193. After reading your the comments, yes it's a stall, since it's been 2 weeks. I truly appreciate your suggestions of reducing more calories and logging every food item that touches my lips.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My start weight was 216, now I'm at 193. After reading your the comments, yes it's a stall, since it's been 2 weeks. I truly appreciate your suggestions of reducing more calories and logging every food item that touches my lips.

You're already eating 1200 calories/day (is that net or gross?) which is quite low. Further reducing your calories while maintaining your current workout plan wouldn't be a good idea, IMO.

My suggestion would be to tighten up your food logging (am I correct in assuming you're already using a food scale?) and reassess your progress in a couple of weeks.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    There's like 3 posts about plateaus in the "most helpful posts" announcement at the top of this page you can peruse.
  • HopeTracker
    HopeTracker Posts: 16 Member
    Options

How long did it take you to drop from 216 to 193?
  • elopez1998
    Options
    I'm eating 1200 net and yes using a scale.
    It's taken me three months to lose 23 lbs.
  • alejandrocd85
    alejandrocd85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What I've learned so far is that the body gets used to anything. So, constant change is the key. Actually today I've realized I've been eating fewer calories than I should, so I've immediately start changing that. I was eating 1750 calories a day or so now I'm planning to eat 2100 + half of my exercise calories.
  • kelhea
    kelhea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Because you've been doing weight training you've gained muscle so you should be eating quite a bit more now. I started at 1200 calories, lost 35 pounds, hit a plateau and once I increased my calorie intake to 1550 I lost some more weight. So I'd give that a try! Also try to do some new exercises or change up your workout routine. The body can get familiar with exercises and not burn as much doing them.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options

Have patience and give it a week or two or three. You could be on a temporary water weight spike right now due to ovulation/TOM/hormones.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    kelhea wrote: »
    Because you've been doing weight training you've gained muscle so you should be eating quite a bit more now. I started at 1200 calories, lost 35 pounds, hit a plateau and once I increased my calorie intake to 1550 I lost some more weight. So I'd give that a try! Also try to do some new exercises or change up your workout routine. The body can get familiar with exercises and not burn as much doing them.

If she even gained muscle it would be quite minimal. And the answer to not losing weight is never to increase your calories.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I would suggest changing your goals so that you are getting more calories. 1,200 is usually far too low. I find I lose better when I am eating more calories.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

I would suggest changing your goals so that you are getting more calories. 1,200 is usually far too low. I find I lose better when I am eating more calories.

Since it's 1200 net, I assume she's eating back her exercise calories on top of 1200 base.

Maybe she's overestimating her exercise calorie burn?
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Are they electronic scales? Try a heart monitor to help calculate. They go with some great apps to help see where you are with your fitness levels etc. As on MFP grossly over estimates exercise calories!
    My scales stopped but im still losing size which is more important than scales and weight.
    Switch focus n measure your waist butt etc n go for losing CMs rather than KGs
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's two weeks, that's not a stall.