Slim fast buddies!?

Options
Anyone else started on slim fast!?
Is started last Tuesday and I've lost roughly 3lbs. Really got used to it now and ordered more slimfast snacks, shakes etc.
Anyone else on slim Fast or starting?
Want to encourage and motivate each other?

Replies

• roundcanuck
    roundcanuck Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    just started using slimfast today and easing myself into using my treadmill which has been collecting dust. Only day 1 so hopefully I'll be disaplined and stick to it. I don't plan on buying all the slimfast snacks and bars... Cost too much really. I'm having a shake for breakfast and lunch, sticking to snacks under 100 calories like fresh veggies or fruit. Followed by a healthy dinner at night. Fingers crossed! Good luck :smile:
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Shakes work for a lot of people. Those who struggle with bingeing and the like might find the strictness of it good. Bottom line is to, at the same time, learn about why you are overweight in the first place - making bad choices and going over the top with portions. I am speaking from experience. I am trying to take one day at a time. I have the occasional shake for breakfast or dinner if I am not hungry. Good luck on your journey OP. :)
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I'm not criticizing but slim fast is rough. I did it in the past. I think I chose it because it seemed easier to know all I could have was that shake vs...what can I eat...how much should I eat...if I start eating I won't stop so I'll just have this shake....

I drank them for a couple weeks but then I got tired of them. They do get old op.... I do think replacing a meal with a shake is perfectly fine, but you could have so much more variety if you incorporate real food into your day.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    As a yo yo dieter most of my adult life, over 40 years, I have tried many "diet" plans and always ended up heavier than I started. It wasn't until I started MFP seriously last year that I realized I could eat what I wanted as long as I maintained a calorie deficit. You can make this a lifelong commitment and not make the same mistakes a lot of people do when trying to lose weight or you can go for the quick fixes that will fail because in reality you just need to learn how to eat properly. I can't see you drinking or eating Slim Fast for the rest of your life. Follow the forums on here and you will learn a lot about the process of losing weight. There are many helpful, successful and knowledgeable people on here.
  • campbells654
    campbells654 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am using the Slim Fast Shakes. For me, I don't eat enough which added with some medical conditions make it hard to lose weight. This is a way I can get the vitamins that I haven't been getting. I do like to add fruits to it. I use a lot of the Shakeology and 310 Shake recipes on Pinterest and just substitute Slim Fast for their brand. I don't necessarily follow Slim Fast plan. I'm aiming for 6 small meals a day. I may have 1 or 2 shakes a day depending on my schedule and mood. No matter what though, I am tracking it with MFP.
  • Vaprep
    Vaprep Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just started the Slimfast High Protein shakes today, so I'll be your buddy! :)
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Im not doing slim fast, but I am making "protein" shakes as a meal replacement right now. I got pea protein powder and I mix it with almond milk(im allergic to milk), kale, chia seeds and half a banana. It nets around 250-300 cal. Slim fast and other meal replacement programs are only for the short term. I would not do it for more than 3 months. You have to learn about nutrition along the way other wise you will fall right back into old habits. Im personally doing it because I have been on the go busy and eating like crap. I just need a restart. I have binge eating habits that im trying to break and just plain old eating healthy hasnt worked becasuse i keep "sneaking" things back into my diet. I personally work better with this type of thing. Im hoping to treat this like rehab for the next little bit. I need to see some results on the scale because I have been getting very demotivated. I also really need to get off my blood pressure meds and just be healthier. So those are my reasons, I hope this helps my mindless snaking problems and I can retrain myself.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Naeou wrote: »
    Slim fast tricks your metabolism with sugar, it doesnt adjust it. Once you are off the slim fast your body will realized it was starved the whole time and you will gain back the weight you lost as it tries to compensate. If you want real results you will need to change your lifestyle, there is no cheating around it. The word diet has been misconstrude to mean eating in an unhealthy way, but it really means an eating habit, so what u need to do is develop a diet you can stick to for life that will allow you to get down to and stay at whatever weight is healthy for you. There are no shortcuts when it comes to biology!

Just no.
  • surreychic
    surreychic Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    In fear of getting a lot of flack for posting this, although I would't do slim fast, I do know of some that it has just provided a kickstart to losing weight which has provided the motivation to continue with following a healthier lifestyle plan. So although not a long term fix it may provided an introduction to a healthier way of life.

I think Amber makes a good point about developing new habits, but sometimes to get rid of the old we need help. Slim fast, although sugary has vitamins and minerals and if it stops someone eating a pile of chips or helps to assist with psychology of stopping snacking or generally ultimately leads to a healthier body/way of life then in my humble opinion it's great.

You have lost 3 lbs (presuming you are overweight and need to lose weight) then that's great, it's all calorie deficit, well done. Fantastic. Write down your long term goals too, what you want to achieve albeit the beach body, better cholesterol, whatever it is keep those focused. Sorry I can't be a slimiest buddy but would be interested in your progress... best of luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Naeou wrote: »
    Slim fast tricks your metabolism with sugar, it doesnt adjust it. Once you are off the slim fast your body will realized it was starved the whole time and you will gain back the weight you lost as it tries to compensate. If you want real results you will need to change your lifestyle, there is no cheating around it. The word diet has been misconstrude to mean eating in an unhealthy way, but it really means an eating habit, so what u need to do is develop a diet you can stick to for life that will allow you to get down to and stay at whatever weight is healthy for you. There are no shortcuts when it comes to biology!

The what now?!

OP, ignore the first bit, but the rest is actually true, don't diet, start making sustainable lifestyle changes that enable you to lose weight.
  • thebobogrind
    thebobogrind Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I started using the 'Advanced Nutrition' line of Slim Fast a few days ago, and have lost 5 lbs already. I think there is the old SlimFast line with lots of sugar, and then there's this new 'Advanced Nutrition' line that only has 1 gram of sugar in the shakes (+20 grams of protein). I have also bought the bars and one of of their 100-calorie snacks. They really do help curb hunger for about 4 hours each item- just like advertised. I eat one small meal at night. All of this has shown me how much food I've been taking in previously, in excess. I'm loving this plan. I still log all my calories on here and keep myself accountable.
  • Vaprep
    Options
    Day 3 of using the Slimfast High Protein shakes, and I feel great. I already have more energy and am sleeping better. I took a bottle to my doctor to get his opinion and he was all for it. He said they looked nutritionally balanced and he has several patients who are doing well incorporating shakes into their weight-loss plan. My typical menu is: Breakfast- Black coffee, SF High Protein shake, 1 cup of fresh fruit. Lunch- SF shake, fruit or vegetable. Dinner- SF shake, vegetables roasted with a small amount of olive oil, or something simple for example last night I had a two egg omelet spinach and mushrooms and a little cheese. For an afternoon snack, because 4 o'clock is a danger zone for me, I have a double-shot latte made with 4 oz. half and half and a carrot or a couple of stalks of celery, or sometimes a few almonds. I like the simplicity, and that it provides a "foundation" so that I don't have to make too many choices especially here in the crucial stages of beginning. I love that they fill me up and are very satisfying. Very happy so far!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    expensive and unnecessary....what happens when you stop the shakes?
  • Vaprep
    Options
    I started using the 'Advanced Nutrition' line of Slim Fast a few days ago, and have lost 5 lbs already. I think there is the old SlimFast line with lots of sugar, and then there's this new 'Advanced Nutrition' line that only has 1 gram of sugar in the shakes (+20 grams of protein). I have also bought the bars and one of of their 100-calorie snacks. They really do help curb hunger for about 4 hours each item- just like advertised. I eat one small meal at night. All of this has shown me how much food I've been taking in previously, in excess. I'm loving this plan. I still log all my calories on here and keep myself accountable.

Congrats! The Caramel Latte flavor is really good.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    You'd honestly be better off using protein powders like EAS. More bang for your buck in terms of nutrition and value. You can still follow the plan but this saves you time/effort/money.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    While I am not a general fan of meal replacements, if you feel it will support a busy lifestyle and allow you to make better choices, then by all means. I would recommend you look at another brand. According to independent reviews, SlimFast is the worst.

https://labdoor.com/rankings/meal-replacements