Struggling to Hit my Calories

Options
Hey Everyone!

I was wondering how you all eat enough calories while eating clean. I am not hitting my calories and am down by like 600, but this is hard for me to fulfill because my appetite just isn't big enough.

Also, how do you eat so many high-calorie foods while eating clean and healthy?

Thanks!

Replies

• BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Most days I'm so under my goal I get that warning to tell me that I haven't eaten enough and it won't let me complete my diary for the day... Ticks me off cause I have to add stuff I haven't eaten to close out my day.. Only 2 days this week I actually ate enough for it to be a legit day!! Oye vay!!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    First, what does eating "clean" mean for you?

Second, make sure you're counting calories accurately. It's likely you could be eating more than you think.

Third, fats are your friend. Nuts, nut butters, dairy products, cooking oils. And even if you still have room, find a treat!
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Thicc_Ziba wrote: »
    Hey Everyone!

I was wondering how you all eat enough calories while eating clean. I am not hitting my calories and am down by like 600, but this is hard for me to fulfill because my appetite just isn't big enough.

Thanks!

Protein shakes, also food that is calorifically dense but manageable, such as a banana or nuts.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

First, make sure you are eating the amount of calories you think you are eating. It's easy to underestimate if you don't weigh everything and use correct database entries.

Then, an occasional day of not hitting your goal is no big deal.

Then, be aware that you can feel okay, even euphoric, while consistently undereating, because you think you are being good and doing something that's good for you, and it can take some time to catch up with you, but eventually it will, and then it catches up hard. If your goal is to lose weight, you can wave goodbye to that goal.

Then, be aware that "clean eating" is nothing more than a buzzword. Every person has their own definition. Getting in a well-rounded diet is good for you, but arbitrary rules and restrictions are just making healthy eating more difficult, not easier, and may in turn make you more susceptible to eating disorders.

To sum it up - You can eat anything you want to lose weight and gain health, but get in variety and log it correctly.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain - i too struggle so try

Nuts you only need a few
    Tablespoon of coconut oil
    Avocado - mega healthy
    Sunflower/pumpkin seeds

I find it useful to make snack bags with nuts and seeds one for each day as it's also easy to over eat them without realising
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters....nuts and seeds are a healthy way to boost your calorie intake.
  • Thicc_Ziba
    Thicc_Ziba Posts: 6 Member
    Options

First, make sure you are eating the amount of calories you think you are eating. It's easy to underestimate if you don't weigh everything and use correct database entries.

Then, an occasional day of not hitting your goal is no big deal.

Then, be aware that you can feel okay, even euphoric, while consistently undereating, because you think you are being good and doing something that's good for you, and it can take some time to catch up with you, but eventually it will, and then it catches up hard. If your goal is to lose weight, you can wave goodbye to that goal.

Then, be aware that "clean eating" is nothing more than a buzzword. Every person has their own definition. Getting in a well-rounded diet is good for you, but arbitrary rules and restrictions are just making healthy eating more difficult, not easier, and may in turn make you more susceptible to eating disorders.

To sum it up - You can eat anything you want to lose weight and gain health, but get in variety and log it correctly.

I am actually trying to gain weight but that makes sense. Thank you to everyone for their help!
  • Thicc_Ziba
    Thicc_Ziba Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    First, what does eating "clean" mean for you?

Second, make sure you're counting calories accurately. It's likely you could be eating more than you think.

Third, fats are your friend. Nuts, nut butters, dairy products, cooking oils. And even if you still have room, find a treat!

Thank you so much that helps a lot! And by clean I just mean mostly whole foods like avoiding outside or pre-packaged food, like typical "junk" food.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I have same problem and I really hate shakes. 1 is fine but no more! It's a struggle
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you eating? I guess you call what I'm eating as eating clean. I just call it common sense approach to eating healthy.

Low sodium
    No added sugar
    No fast food
    Lots of Leary greens
    Fruits and veggies
    Grains legumes and seeds
    Non red meat protein
    Salmon at least 3 nights per week
    High fiber
    Whole grains

I have to watch closely or I will blow my 1900 out of the water.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    ibboykin wrote: »
    What exactly are you eating? I guess you call what I'm eating as eating clean. I just call it common sense approach to eating healthy.

Low sodium
    No added sugar
    No fast food
    Lots of Leary greens
    Fruits and veggies
    Grains legumes and seeds
    Non red meat protein
    Salmon at least 3 nights per week
    High fiber
    Whole grains

I have to watch closely or I will blow my 1900 out of the water.

I spend all day yammering on about the benefits of pounds of the stuff, but if someone's having trouble eating enough calories adding leafy greens is going to be counterproductive to that effect!
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    BaddS4 wrote: »
    Most days I'm so under my goal I get that warning to tell me that I haven't eaten enough and it won't let me complete my diary for the day... Ticks me off cause I have to add stuff I haven't eaten to close out my day.. Only 2 days this week I actually ate enough for it to be a legit day!! Oye vay!!

You don't have to actually close out/complete your diary.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is good 2 to 3 times a week
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat less nutritious foods then go for the caloric dense nuts, seeds, nut/seed butters, full fat dairy, oils, avocado, granola, dried fruit, pasta, bread, etc.

Try to reduce the amout of "diet" or low fat foods, too much fibre and for some too much protein can all be too filling.

But I will say..if you are overly restrictive with your intake and not hitting your cal goal to gain, then you may want to change your outlook on food and include more fun or non-clean foods. There is nothing wrong with them, they won't make you gain fat, and they are an easy way to hit your goal without feeling overly full and bloated. Ice cream is my best friend when bulking :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    BaddS4 wrote: »

You don't have to actually close out/complete your diary.

Since she's trying to gain weight I wouldn't suggest she do this.
  • brichards_
    brichards_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Eat fruits, smoothies, and healthy fats (avocado on toast, natural nut butters on whole wheat toast or a banana), dates.