But I like snacks :(

Options
Anybody have any ways they curb a pesky appetite throughout the day? I'll still feel hungry after I eat. Suggestions?

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    What are you doing during the day? Sometimes I'm so busy I don't remember to eat. It's when I'm idle I notice hunger more.

Also maybe you should tell us what you're eating, and how many calories in your typical meals. Some things are more filling than others.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A bad eating structure and a poor diet makes you hungry. Make sure that you eat enough (quantity and quality) for your meals, and then you won't feel that annoying urge to snack.
  • nesslj83
    nesslj83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a terrible snacker, and i snack when i'm bored. I get around it by bringing in a box of healthy things like carrot sticks for crunch, and cherry tomatoes for sweetness. It's not the same as a packet of crisps of a bar of chocolate but it helps.

I also avoid having any cash on me when I'm in the office, because it means I can't use the vending machines to get a mid-afternoon sugar hit.
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I used to be a snacker, it didn't matter if I was hungry or not, as others have said it was a habit when bored etc.
    I could still easily be a snacker, but I have fiddled with my diet so that I am now eating more fat and protein, it keeps me feeling full and helps curb the urge.
    Hope you find something that works for you
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I have a main meal at dinner with my family (if I'm not at work) ... other than that I have breakfast, morning tea, lunch, something to nibble on, afternoon tea, and supper.

They are only small portions but I don't really feel hungry.

I eat between 1100 and 1500 cal per day depending on activity (I'm 5'2'')
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough fat, protein, and fiber to keep you satiated. Then plan for some snacks in your day, I like mini bags of popcorn and veggie straws since I get a lot of crunch for the calories. If in the mood for sweet I like to eat 1 Lindor truffle (quality not quantity).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Is it real hunger though? sometimes its just a habit to want to snack or perhaps you're not getting adequate protein.
    Personally I keep 300 cals aside just for snacks each day, nothing wrong with snacking if it fits into your calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options

So do I! :) That's why I eat so many of them each day. :)
  • coolfry
    coolfry Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If i feel snacky but I know I'm not super hungry I eat flavored in the shell sunflower seeds, keeps my mouth bust and i get flavor but I stay in my calorie goals
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Why not pack yourself a box in the morning with a variety of things in it, enough for lunch and a few snacks, and then that takes you through to dinner in the evening. That's what I do when I'm at work. I have a range of things - some protein, lots of bits of fruit and veg, some treats. I always leave something in it at lunch so I have something for an afternoon snack. Today I have some leftover lemon chicken with lettuce, an apple, a mandarin orange, grapes, cherry tomatoes, a thing like a little cinnamon roll only hazelnut flavoured, and a couple of small chocolates.

Snacks are not bad or forbidden, they're just one eating option, and if you like to snack, plan for it.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I use sugar free jello and pudding, roasted seaweed, and flavoured teas when I just feel "snacky". I have quest protein bars lying around for when I am legitimately hungry, they make me feel full at around 200 calories.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I love snacks. I build them into my day so I don't feel bad and always have some in my bag so if I suddenly get really hungry when out and about I'm less likely to grab a muffin or something that will mess with my macros. I also find if I have something protein heavy in my main meals, then that keeps me fuller for longer.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with snacking if you have the calories for it. For me, it's more about the snack foods themselves than actual hunger. No meal structure will make me not want smartfood or string cheese.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with snacks, and no reason to eat exactly three meals a day if you don't want to. You can spread out your daily calorie budget however you'd like. I recommend planning your day's meals in advance when possible, so you know how many calories you want to spend on snacks and are less tempted to eat more than that amount.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    If you're actually hungry, look at your macros. If I eat carbs without sufficient fat or protein, I just get hungrier after eating.

If you're just snacky, look at redistributing your calories to save some for snacks, or find some permissible options to keep your mouth busy (no-cal flavored water, coffee, sugarfree gum, etc.).

I eat a lighter breakfast and lunch to make sure I have enough for a couple of 150cal snacks in the morning and afternoon. Then I choose a combo of carbs and protein/fat. Apple and PB. Cheese and crackers. This keeps me from being actually hungry. If I'm just bored and snacky, I get a cup of coffee or tea, sometimes with milk and stevia, if black won't satisfy.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

So do I! :) That's why I eat so many of them each day. :)

My day ...

No breakfast
    10 am snack - cheese & crackers
    12 noon snack - banana
    1:30 pm lunch - chicken, rice or noodles, steamed veggies
    3:00 pm snack - yogurt
    4:30 pm snack - apple, mandarin or some other fruit
    6 pm snack - cottage cheese, raw veggies, whole wheat crackers
    7:30 pm dinner - steamed veggies & ... whatever else my husband makes
    9:30 pm snack - yogurt
    11 pm snack - toast with nutella & honey
    12:30 am snack - McVities digestive biscuit with chocolate coating or a few cheese crackers

Whether I eat large meals or not, I get ravenously hungry about 1.5 hours later. I can pack away a massive dinner, and be prowling around the kitchen 1.5 hours later. Therefore, I feel so much more comfortable if I just keep the food coming on a regular basis ... but keep everything on the small side.

I am also active ... in fact, rarely does a day go by when I'm not active.

So for me, it's a combination of eating a reasonable amount of calories ... and keeping active.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with snacks, and no reason to eat exactly three meals a day if you don't want to. You can spread out your daily calorie budget however you'd like. I recommend planning your day's meals in advance when possible, so you know how many calories you want to spend on snacks and are less tempted to eat more than that amount.

Yep this. Meal timing/frequency is a preference thing and doesn't matter for weight loss, hitting the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals does. If you prefer small, snack type meals and are hitting your calorie targets then no reason to change anything :)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Anybody have any ways they curb a pesky appetite throughout the day? I'll still feel hungry after I eat. Suggestions?

I'm the same way if I don't eat a meal that will fill me up longer, which is hard to do when you are trying to cut back and eat less (ugh). I would try to keep healthy snacks around for you to grab when you get hungry and gradually ease out the bad ones you don't want to keep eating. Over time you will get used to it. Maybe try to eat some protein or fill up on veggies with your main meals.