Advice needed on back injury?

Options
A few days ago I started getting a small pain on my lower right side of the back, then over the following 24 hours it became more and more intense- now I can't walk or bend without extreme pain. Does this sound like a pinched nerve or possibly a pulled muscle? Has this happened to anyone? I have been putting ice on it but it doesn't seem to be passing ... and Aleve doesn't help the pain at all. Any help would be much appreciated ... i need to get back to working out!

Replies

• SuperHeroRipped
    Options
    sounds like a pulled/tight muscle try icy hot or a warm compress to loosen it up :)
  • goldnanoparticle
    goldnanoparticle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which it could be (it might be either), but I would recommend heat instead of ice (to loosen the muscles instead of making it stiff). Or my personal favorite - Bengay patches. It gets really cold and then warm over a few hours. I have used them on muscle pains before, and about 50% of the time it not only makes the injury feel better at the time, but has actually gotten rid of the pain permanently.

And of course, if the pain persists too long, see your doctor and he/she can give you some better pain meds (though I'm shocked Aleve isn't working)
  • Victorian131
    Victorian131 Posts: 130
    Options
    It sounds like a muscle to me as nerve pain tends to travel/shoot place like down legs etc. If its a sharp, local pain it may well be a nerve as muscle pains tend to be duller and spread out so to speak. I would see a doctor personally.
    I had pain in my back that got worse and I kept going until it turned out I had slipped a disk onto some nerves. I would suggest alternating between ice and heat to see if that helps?
    I can sympathise and know how debilitating back pain can be. I would definitely seek the help of a professional though.
    All the best and a speedy recovery!
    Vic x
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    For any kind of injury, always ice first. If you think it's a pulled muscle rather than a pinched nerve, ice it for 20 minutes every waking hour for the first 24 hours. The ONLY heat you should apply is moist heat - meaning a hot wash cloth, a shower, hot tub, etc. Do NOT use a heating pad - it can actually cause further injury, and not until after you've iced for at least 24 hours.

You should probably go see your doctor or a chiropractor if it is as bad as you say it is. Those kind of injuries could be worse than you think!
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and mine turned out to be a ruptured disc that still hasn't healed almost 3 years later

taking a warm bath used to help me
  • akcouick
    akcouick Posts: 11
    Options
    Try excedrin back and body...

kinda sounds like you may be trying to pass a kidney stone, call your doctor and describe the pain, that could very well be the culprit...

I have a lot of problems with my back, particularly the muscle beneath my lower right shoulder blade. I use Kinesio tex gold tape to ease the pain... I swear this tape works miricles, I tape a large x across my back starting at the upper corner of one side of my back to the mid-lower section of the other side of my back, do this to both sides making an X. this helps take pressure off my back to help with a pulled muscle, also it trains me on proper posture, cause when I try to slouch, the tape pulls and reminds me to sit up straight. posture is very important for good back health.

you can get the kinesio tape online, cheapest place I found was amazon. but you can google how to apply it and all.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I have recurring sciatic issues - they start similar to what you're describing. Check with your Dr. or Chiro...
  • gritgirl
    gritgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have sciatica as well. I finally saw an orthopedist who then sent me to physical therapy. The physical therapist has me doing a series of stretches for my gluts and gentle core strengthening exercises. It's helping.

But when one of these attacks hits, it's lay down, take Advil to cut down on the inflammation and apply ice to also cut the inflammation. And then I take a pain killer and sleep for a while. Usually one of these attacks will have me laying down for a day and then being very, very gentle for the next few days. I've learned to give it time and be gentle because back pain puts me out of the game for a while if I don't.

Good luck.
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone. My back goes out at least once a year. Do you have one of the big stability workout balls? I have one and I will lay over it (face down) to stretch out my lower back. I also take one Aleve every hour to get the muscle to relax, but my doctor told me to do that, so I recommend checking with your doc first. Oh, sleep with a pillow under your knees (or between if you're a side sleeper) to help keep your hips and lower back at the correct angle
    As annoying as it is, take it easy, relax and give it time. Mine usually takes me about a week to get totally back to normal.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Sadly I am a veteran of back pain. I had two discs collapse and surgery to remove them and bone fuse L4/5 and L5/S1. I battled it for 5 years before resorting to that.
    Nerve pain doesn't always shoot. The doctor said only moist heat and rest then proper therapy exercises. My pain made it impossible to bend, lift and at the end, walk.

Take care of your injury. If you are in severe pain, only go to a chiropractor who takes xrays first. That is what caught that my disc spacing was very small in that area compared to the rest. The previous chiropractors were probably HURTING me since they didn't know that. The chiropractors ultrasound therapy was also very useful in relieving pain.

Don't mess around with back injuries!
  • LAD1108
    LAD1108 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have had a bad back for 9 years (herniated L4/L5 with S1 nerve--sciatic) and it started out just like you. Call the doctor and see a chiropractor ( I sware by mine--and he actually got me back on my feet). When my back acts up I use a T.E.N.S unit (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (acronym TENS) is the use of electric current produced by a device to stimulate the nerves for therapeutic purposes) and moist heat. Call your doctor before trying any treatment on your own
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Also - Aleve didn't help mine either. The Dr. recommended switching to Ibuprofen (Advil), which didn't take all the pain away, but seemed to work much better. On a side note - mine also was never a "shooting" pain. Sciatica comes in all forms and has all sorts of causes.
  • mskatec22
    mskatec22 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice has been given! I agree with so much of it as I recently injured my back causing some very painful spasms. My treatment involved a strong muscle relaxer via a shot, so that I could stand up straight and on and off icing, rest and 800mg ibuprofens with 2 additional nights worth of muscle relaxers. By the 3rd day I returned to work and by the 7th I resumed working out.
    Many Yoga poses are great for loosening up your back, I love the Torso Twist and swear by it for when I start to get tight.
    Good luck!
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a certified physical therapist aide so believe me when i say ICE!!!!

You can ice for 20 minutes every hour if u need too. Ice before u work out and after.

If this pain continues for 2 months go to physical therapy. Hopes this helps!!!
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Go see a Dr!!!!! I'm a recovery room nurse and see post op back surgeries all the time, young and old. Back injuries are nothing to take lightly and surely not something you should be diagnosing yourself! It could be something simple, or really involved, but there's only one way to find out. Even going to a chiropractor could help. If you let it go too long you could end up with more than you bargained for. Good luck!
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Go see a Dr!!!!! I'm a recovery room nurse and see post op back surgeries all the time, young and old. Back injuries are nothing to take lightly and surely not something you should be diagnosing yourself! It could be something simple, or really involved, but there's only one way to find out. Even going to a chiropractor could help. If you let it go too long you could end up with more than you bargained for. Good luck!

physical therapy is cheaper than surgery and less painful. NEVER do surgery unless its painful and there is NO other option. Try physical therapy first, reason being is because exercises can easily cure the problem. 80% of my patients wanted to do surgery FIRST but didn't need too after going to physical therapy. Second, the stronger u are going into surgery the faster, stronger and better you will feel. If you need surgery, your back already has developed some strength after surgery anyway. Oh and don't rely on pills. Yes, your pain goes away temporarily but it does NOT solve the problem
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options

physical therapy is cheaper than surgery and less painful. NEVER do surgery unless its painful. Try physical therapy first, reason being is because exercises can easily cure the problem. 80% of my patients wanted to do surgery FIRST but didn't need too after going to physical therapy. Second, the stronger u are going into surgery the faster, stronger and better you will feel. If you need surgery, your back already has developed some strength after surgery anyway. Oh and don't rely on pills. Yes, your pain goes away temporarily but it does NOT solve the problem

Maybe I'm not being clear; I'm NOT endorsing surgery right away. My point is don't rely on a bunch of strangers on a fitness website that say, "Use ice and take advil and the pain will go away", because it may not...and then you have a more serious injury which WOULD require surgery. See a Dr and let them diagnose the problem.
  • Eirhren
    Eirhren Posts: 18
    Options
    [