Losing baby pooch??

Options
I'm curious to know the best way to lose the baby pooch after birth? Diet? Exercise? I'm currently breastfeeding my third child who is 6 months old. I'm only 6 lbs up from my pre-pregnancy weight, which was my target weight. Medically, I'm a mess, with two brain surgeries under my belt, spinal stenosis, degenerative discs, Pots, intercranial hypertension etc (and I'm only 29!), so exercise is very hard on me. Due to my conditions, I'm pretty exercise intolerant, can't run, lift much, etc. I'm doing what I can though! But I can't get rid of the pooch below my belly button that's came from having 3 kiddos. I'm not sure what to do? Can any diet help to blast that area? Im currently on a medical low sodium diet (1g per day), but found that many low sodium options are high carbs. Or are there any low impact exercises that won't strain back/neck areas much? Im a very slender person, but my stomach is driving me bonkers! Any ideas??

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have a pooch. I cherish a faint hope that mine will disappear when I reach my goal, but to be honest, I don't really believe it. I think I'll just have to learn to love it.
  • lakenruth
    lakenruth Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm truly blessed with my babies! I'm thinking it's just permanently stretched, but I'd love to tighten it up! Maybe once I'm done breastfeeding, I can try the calorie deficit more. I'm averaging about 1500-1700 per day but don't want to drop it anymore than that for now for fear of messing with my milk supply. I'm staring another surgery in the face and tend to gain after surgery bc of the meds, so I'd love to get the weight gone before then! But I've been very lucky to get back down to size after all 3 kids so easily, so I guess I can't complain too much ;)
  • peanutbuttertuesday
    peanutbuttertuesday Posts: 192 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The muscles there often separate during pregnancy and bringing them back together as before is not always possible, from what I have read. Pilates may help. Typical ab workouts like crunches may make it worse rather than helping. Some women just never lose that pouch and thats ok. That pouch was hard-earned. :)
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 kids. It went away, with the exception of loose skin by my c-section scar. But the belly area was the last part of me to look normal. Normally when I gain weight, it's everywhere, and when I lose it, I lose it everywhere, but when I was pregnant I was "all belly" (well, not "all"--but mostly!) and that was where I struggled to lose after I had the kids.

Pilates was very helpful, FWIW.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Here's some info that might help! I'm not a living-example, as I have my own pooch (and 40 lbs) to lose, but I read a lot about this and also got info from my doctor when I first was asking "will my stomach ever go back??" http://www.befitmom.com/diastasis-recti.php
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Here's some info that might help! I'm not a living-example, as I have my own pooch (and 40 lbs) to lose, but I read a lot about this and also got info from my doctor when I first was asking "will my stomach ever go back??" http://www.befitmom.com/diastasis-recti.php

That seems like a different thing - when I hear "pooch" I understand it to mean a panniculus (overhanging bulge below the belly button - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panniculus) caused by the belly having been stretched during pregnancy or obesity. That's what I've got. The diastasis recti is higher up and the worst it could cause is a bulge, not an overhang.
  • fitforchocolate
    fitforchocolate Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem since having my son. This article was really helpful in figuring out whether or not I had diastasis recti and many of the exercises involve laying down and moving legs and lower body, so they might be good low impact alternatives for you.
    https://www.babble.com/body-mind/8-exercises-to-get-rid-of-the-mom-pooch/
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. So start there!

If you can exercise then there are benefits in respect to body composition but if you can't do it, then don't worry.
  • ladyluck5210
    ladyluck5210 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    How's your IIH now? I have it too!