New to exercise

Options
nessdeal7
nessdeal7 Posts: 6 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I started insanity last Monday. I cut out all junk. Only drinking water, no sugar, no bread. I have been having trouble eating enough calories sometimes only 900 per day) AND losing weight. I have a shake for breakfast, almonds for snack, grilled chicken and sweet potato for lunch, taco salad (ground beef, lettuce, tomatoe, a little cheese, avocado) for dinner. I've been drinking a gallon of water per day. I need help with getting in CLEAN calories that aren't high carb, and any input on what could be causing the brick wall?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    what are you asking?
  • nessdeal7
    Options
    I edited it! Thank you for pointing that out! I'm getting anxious to lose the weight and I'm not seeing the scale move. My questions are: what can I consume to boost calorie intake that isn't high carb, and what the heck is causing me not to lose weight?
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    OK, so first of all, weight loss is slow. If you see big results quickly, they are fake - water weight.

Second, eating "clean" and low carb are really not important to losing weight. They are just fads. Eating less calories than you burn is how you lose weight. If you want to eat low carb, that is fine, but it isn't going to make you lose weight. Eating clean (what do you define as clean?) is in the same boat.

As for why aren't you losing weight -

How long have you been trying to lose weight?

What is your deficit currently?

Are you exercising? Are you eating exercise calories back?

Are you weighing your food?

Are you logging EVERYTHING YOU EAT accurately?

Are you eating the shell of that taco salad?
  • nessdeal7
    Options
    1721 is my caloric intake to loose weight (I calculated using the formula in the insanity packet) and I'm struggling to get 900. I do the insanity workout every day... except Sunday on the rest day. I don't eat those calories back, I log every single thing that I put in my mouth and I do weigh them. Ohhhh and no, I don't eat the taco shell. :)
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    I don't know anything about how Insanity calculates calories. Go here and tell me what it says for BMR and TDEE -
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

As for the food part, as long as you are sticking to your calories, you can eat whatever. If you have 800 calories left over, you can eat a piece of cake, a pb&j sandwich, or a hamburger or pizza and still lose weight.

If you are truly eating 900 calories a day, then you are losing fat, you just aren't being patient enough to see it.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I agree with Gaucho. I will add this : the only time you need to watch carbs( especially refined) , sugars, or salt is if you have some medical condition that those foods effect.

If you are not eating enough calories, it will make the process slower.

You must give your body time. When I say your I mean you. Just because someone else loses fast or does this or that does Not mean your body will too.

Keep eating your calories , keep exercising ( for health : stronger bones and muscles) and give it time. You will see results. Actually others will notice it first.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Are you weighing all food on a food scale and logging everything? If the answer is no, you may be eating more than 900 calories and not know it. Start with the food scale. After using the food scale religiously for a couple weeks, if you find that 900 calories is right, time for ice cream or peanut butter or cheese or wine or....!