Parents taking me to a SEAFOOD Buffet on Friday.

Options
So my parents called me asking if my family & I would join them for dinner on Friday night to a SEAFOOD BUFFET. I LOVE SEAFOOD!! I'm going to have a hard time passing up so many good eats. I love crab legs & sushi the most. I guess I'll have to skip on dipping the crab legs in butter >_>

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Go all out and work out 2x's that day?? Lol... I'm really considering working over time on Friday so I can enjoy a wonderful buffet hah!

Replies

• Degator
    Degator Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would enjoy it! Just try and cut back on the fried and buttery dishes. It isn't like you go to a seafood buffet all the time, or at least I would hope not.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Skip the butter for sure. There are worse things you could eat than crab legs and sushi, enjoy yourself. Try to keep it to one plate, get a little bit of everything you want so you get the tastes without all the splurging. Eat slow, savor everything. Eating slow will help you feel full before you eat too much.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    ok, this is what you do. No deep fried, (would probably make you sick) and no dipping butter. Unless you drizzle 1 tsp. load up on veggies, and salad. Just remember, your gonna have to log it.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    My advice is to allow it for the day, then go back to your healthy routine eating after that. It'll be a free day of increased calorie intake. That's all.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I go out to eat here & there, but I still try to be sensible about it. I would go online & get the cold hard facts of what you will be eating. A little indulging wouldn’t hurt, but pigging out? Not for me…
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    ok, this is what you do. No deep fried, (would probably make you sick) and no dipping butter. Unless you drizzle 1 tsp. load up on veggies, and salad. Just remember, your gonna have to log it.

Thanks for the reminder!!! :)

That will help me to control myself lol..
  • tiffany_reis
    Options
    If you stick with ONE cheat day a week, you CAN splurge just this once. I did it once a week during my hard training and dieting and managed to lose 28 pounds in 3 months. It's okay! Just be GOOD the rest of that week... and remember, just ONE cheat day a week.

4632107.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    if it were me... I would work hard and enjoy but stay way from fried and use the old bay and but limit the butter give yourself maybe half of those lil black containers - really we need to live this thing as a life style - I know easier said than done I had a horrible weekend but a wonderful weekend with the family - enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    probably the worst thing would be the cholesterol from the shell fish and you probably don't even care right now about that!

So, stay away from butter dips (try the red cocktail sauce and lots of lemon instead) and fried fish. :noway:

:drinker: enjoy the rest......maybe practice looking in the market at some portion sizes, so you can log it.

On Mothers Day this year i was taken to a seafood buffet, dug LOTS of crab out of their shells, shrimp, oysters, sashimi, etc. Came home and logged and figured I could have eaten more!! LOL

Have a wonderful time!! :smile:
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You may be surprised! I have gone out to eat with the plan to go all out and have a great time and realized that my eating habits have completely changed. I couldn't eat nearly as much as I used to be able to eat; I was more conscious of the food going in my mouth; I made good choices because the healthy food actually seemed more appetizing than the fried stuff; and when I've actually eaten the fried stuff it wasn't as good as I remembered it being. Then when you actually log the meal you may also be surprised by how well you do! Good luck! :)
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Your parents arent taking you out for sushi every night are they? so go out and enjoy yourself wiht your family I think you will find that you wont pig out anyway just because you have changed your habits and are conscious of your eating. TO make it more enjoyable for yourself go to the gym BEFORE you eat out and do a really good workout earn as many extra calories as you can. You will feel fantastic less inclined to overeat and the damage will be minimal so you wont beat yourself up afterwards. Have fun!!!!
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself! Log your food honestly and go back to life as normal the next day.
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd go, enjoy myself, and eat whatever I want and get back to business afterward.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Sushi can be remarkably low calorie and filled with great nutrients. If you have grilled, baked or steamed seafood, that is also going to be very low cal. You will be getting some extra sodium in your meal though.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I think you have to balance sensibility with enjoyment. Enjoy the seafood buffet but stay away from deep fried and buttery items. Also work out a little harder that day and/or the next. You have to enjoy yourself and family time every now and again at fun restaurants. Don't stress over it too much, but do try to make decent choices, without sacrificing too much of the yummy goodness either!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    So my parents called me asking if my family & I would join them for dinner on Friday night to a SEAFOOD BUFFET. I LOVE SEAFOOD!! I'm going to have a hard time passing up so many good eats. I love crab legs & sushi the most. I guess I'll have to skip on dipping the crab legs in butter >_>

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Go all out and work out 2x's that day?? Lol... I'm really considering working over time on Friday so I can enjoy a wonderful buffet hah!
    Perhaps I'm not understanding the issue correctly but, from the information on the web site, you joined MFP 5 months ago and haven't lost any weight.

If you "Go all out and work out 2x's that day", will that help you reach your weight loss and fitness goals?
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Honestly, as a fellow seafood fanatic at a seafood buffet, I would just enjoy the hell out of it. How often do you get to go? The only thing I would avoid is margarine. But crab legs and lobster just aren't the same without melted butter. Not a ton. But some.

Just get back on the wagon the next day, and don't do such things more than once or twice a month.

I wouldn't even log it. :x
  • leilani♥
    Options

Perhaps I'm not understanding the issue correctly but, from the information on the web site, you joined MFP 5 months ago and haven't lost any weight.
    If you "Go all out and work out 2x's that day", will that help you reach your weight loss and fitness goals?

I joined 5 months ago and didn't log anything 3 days after I joined. I just got back into this site yesterday after gaining more weight in the 5 months that passed due to not taking care of myself and lack of exercise. I'm back in the mix and I don't count my sign up date as my official date. To me, yesterday was the first day to my slimming process.
  • leilani♥
    Options
    I haven't gone to a seafood buffet in years. Really looking forward to it :) I won't pig out and ill stay away from all those deep fried fatty stuff.
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options

I joined 5 months ago and didn't log anything 3 days after I joined. I just got back into this site yesterday after gaining more weight in the 5 months that passed due to not taking care of myself and lack of exercise. I'm back in the mix and I don't count my sign up date as my official date. To me, yesterday was the first day to my slimming process.

Sweetheart you dont have to justify why you are here to anyone okay? whats important is right now and the future we have all had starts and stops and you are quite justified in asking for support no matter when you stopped or started its irrelevant.