Pancake Day/ Shrove Tuesday

Options
Hi All,

So it's pancake day/shrove Tuesday. What Pancakes will you be having tonight and what toppings will be you be putting on them?

Give me some ideas as currently I'm trying to add muscle mass and tonight a friends invited me over for homemade pancakes and Nutella. All this week I've been eating clean and to my diet. Will one night matter? :D

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    This is always on the menu for Shrove Tuesday. Soooo delicious.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/71708/pumpkin-pancakes-with-nutmeg-whipped-cream/
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I'm up for learning something new...what is Shrove Tuesday? It seems as though somehow related to Lent? I'm in the US--where is this day observed?
  • jacknyland258
    jacknyland258 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm up for learning something new...what is Shrove Tuesday? It seems as though somehow related to Lent? I'm in the US--where is this day observed?

Although I just see it as pancake day like some people do, shrove Tuesday is a religious thing. I'm going to be honest I have no clue but Google it and it should come up with a load of answers :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrove_Tuesday

Basically, Shrove Tuesday is the last "party" day before giving things up for Lent. Most people eat pancakes (with dimes!) or go all out with feasting. You'll notice a lot of carnivals going on across the world this week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sugar and lemon for me, with one peanut butter and banana
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of pancake day or shrove Tuesday, but I can attest that pancakes made with just 2 eggs (beaten) and a very ripe mashed banana are quite tasty and have a nice, fluffy texture. You can add in flavored protein powder if you want. I have also seen recipes where quick oats were added as well, but I have not tried that. I have been making a pancake and eating it with a Tbsp. of peanut butter for breakfast this past week.

Note: The bottom will brown up quickly, but it does not taste "burnt", IMO.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    That was last week for me, and we don't usually have pancakes we have crepes. I didn't know it was a thing there too! We had meat, mushroom, poppy seed and sweet cheese crepes, complete with mushroom gravy for the savory ones and sour cream and strawberry sauce for the sweet ones. It was glorious!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Mardi Gras!
    Fat Tuesday!
    And here in Chicago...Paczki Day!
    Mmmmm...gotta get me some paczki.
    Interesting about the pancakes/shrove...
    Cool to hear about how different cultures celebrate today.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options

It's the last day before lent when people would traditionally use up all their 'luxury' food items like flour and eggs (I guess people had a very different idea of luxury food back then :D ) before beginning their lenten fast.
    In the UK now it's lost all religious meaning for most people, and is now known as 'pancake day', where we eat thin crepe style pancakes until we feel sick and then swear we're giving up chocolate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I had pancakes this morning in honor of Shrove Tuesday. (I always observe Lent too.)

I'm in Chicago and was just mentioning in another thread that my assistant usually brings in paczkis and did not, but to be honest I'm not that into jelly donuts and would rather have pancakes! I love all the different pre-Lent traditions.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I had pancakes this morning in honor of Shrove Tuesday. (I always observe Lent too.)

I'm in Chicago and was just mentioning in another thread that my assistant usually brings in paczkis and did not, but to be honest I'm not that into jelly donuts and would rather have pancakes! I love all the different pre-Lent traditions.

I always go for the paczki with chocolate or custard filling. I'm counting on some of my Polish co-workers to bring some in.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Damn, this is pushing me to find low sodium baking powder. Why do I live in one of the armpits of Canada?