Thrive Products

Options
An old friend sprang out of the past wanting me to 'try' this great new product. It is MLM. For fun during lunch I googled "Thrive Reviews" and read NOTHING GOOD!!!

Just wanted to hear from my fellow peeps here if you know ANYTHING about whether this product has any nutritional value that can't be found in normal and less expensive foods, and if you have ANY experience with the product or know of anyone with any experience with the product.

The reviews read in general that people actually gained some weight (but my friend said it is NOT a weight loss product). Reviews continued to say they got a burst of energy, but this most likely is because it is loaded with caffeine (I think). Some decided to stop using the product and actually had withdrawal symptoms.

So, just looking for some first hand feedback, or any info from my fellow MFP'rs.

Replies

• andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My general rule is if it's an MLM, I steer clear.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Agreed, but do you know anything about Thrive?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I researched the ingredients and there was a lot of "woo" ingredients in their stuff. anything MLM stay away from,most are just full of fillers and other stuff that has been proven NOT to work(raspberry ketones,.green coffee bean,synephrine,etc.

so basically full of caffeine and caffeine derivatives. probably why they had withdrawal symptoms. and it IS a weight loss product or it wouldnt have stuff in it to "help" with weight loss,the patch has more woo in it too.
  • andrea4736
    Options
    I was given free samples at some point. I wasn't impressed. For me to spend money, I want to be hooked from the first try. I really didn't "feel" anything and then had to deal with the constant emails and messages asking if I'd tried it yet and when I was buying. Nope. Lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I haven't had thrive, but most of these MLM's used the same ingredients.. and largely they are chosen by what is the flavor of the day. Looking at their protein drink, it's largely inferior at 15gs, especially since most is soy/pea based; so leucine (what stimulates MPS) is going to be low. And like all other crap brands, they include fillers like maltodextrine (cheap sugar substitute, which can cause intestinal discomfort). And it's fairly loaded with caffeine, which I suspect they are hoping it suppresses peoples appetites and stimulates them to be active

• donjtomasco
    Options
    THAT WAS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!! Thank you Charlie!

I am pretty sure my 'friend' has been roped into this, so in a way I am doing a soft help for him by finding out what he should have researched and found out for himself. I am an avid reader and researcher and it looks like he might have gotten in on the tail end of this MLM, so not only will he be taking supplements that are doing him no good, he is also being pushed to pull more people in as this MLM starts to implode.

You can lead a horse to water...... The hype and promotion though most likely will cause him to keep hammering on friends who will just end up being annoyed and pissed off.
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I know it's a sticker that you wear that claims it can make you lose weight. How, I have no idea but that's all I get from it!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    THAT WAS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!! Thank you Charlie!

I am pretty sure my 'friend' has been roped into this, so in a way I am doing a soft help for him by finding out what he should have researched and found out for himself. I am an avid reader and researcher and it looks like he might have gotten in on the tail end of this MLM, so not only will he be taking supplements that are doing him no good, he is also being pushed to pull more people in as this MLM starts to implode.

You can lead a horse to water...... The hype and promotion though most likely will cause him to keep hammering on friends who will just end up being annoyed and pissed off.

Youre welcome and yeah you can just type in thrive ingredients and a lot of the searches will come up as reviews that others have done,and the ingredients and what they are "for".
    you can also look up side effects on your own. These things are not good for those with certain health issues or take certain meds as they can interact.

The people who sell it will tell you its all natural(I think its part of their sales pitch to be honest) and so on,and they will tell you there are no side effects. we all know that there can be side effects from just about anything.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I know it's a sticker that you wear that claims it can make you lose weight. How, I have no idea but that's all I get from it!

And you have to post pictures of it on your arm at least once a day on FB and tell all your friends how great it is even though you look ridiculous. I've had to delete FB friends for their hardcore never ending sales pitch and photos of their arm sticker. Apparently it makes you extremely obnoxious too.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    My cousin recently started using and selling this crap. All she does is talk about how wonderful she feels since starting it. That comes right before the sales pitch. I'm pretty sure I'll end up blocking her on FB.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Lol Curve, 'sticker', that is a good one I won't forget. It actually is a patch, but I like your sticker reference. The patch is 'supposed' to transfer the goods into your skin and bloodstream. Also (this part was a huge red flag) it is carefully loaded to deliver what each person needs, ??? yet this 'measured amount of secret sauce' can be altered by simply cutting down the patch so you get less if you feel like you need less.

Clearly someone in charge of the promotions part of this product got tired while posting that 'advice'. They probably cut down too much of their patch.....
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Lol Need2, my friend did that too. Luckily he can only text me. He 'feels' so great, yet can't tell me what is in the product. I don't think he can spell 'placebo'...
  • andrea4736
    Options
    I figure if masses of people selling it could show me some picture proof of results, I'd give just about anything a try. I can't help but notice a lot of the MLM "pushers" are extremely overweight or unhealthy individuals. That in itself is more than enough for me to stay away. Show me some crazy results and I'll probably show you my money, lol.
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I tried it. It didn't work for me. But I was an extreme case suffering severe depression and chronic fibromyalgia pain. I have a friend who swears by it and her whole family including her kids uses this product. I think results vary from person to person or it's a placebo effect. Who knows.
  • bdubois63
    bdubois63 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I use currently and have used THRIVE since Oct 2015. For myself, my husband and my oldest daughter it works. By 'works' I simply mean ...for me it keeps me more focused. I had lost 86 lbs by just cutting calories(prior to Thrive)...then in May of 2013 my "HERO BROTHER" died suddenly of a heart attack at age 60...I WAS HEARTBROKEN...and was in a FUNK that as hard as I tried could not get out of...not depression...just heartbroken...He was so high on a pedestal for me...I just could not get over it. I gain back about 60 lbs...then...one day in October 2015 I decided I had to live past this and get out of this funk.... (although I had just found out my other brother was terminal with cancer...) So... I started taking Thrive for the vitamins...noticed things just seemed perkier. No, it was not caffeine high because I stopped drinking caffeine coffee, went to decaf and the caffeine in Thrive is natural caffeine. Then in January decided to cut out white flour, white sugar and white potatoes. My goal was to lose 25 lbs before a Sept Wedding and 25 more for a June 2017 wedding.... well I actually lost 64 lbs (before the Sept wedding) and currently 99 lbs at total pounds lost. This was all done without any cravings. I think it is because of good nutrition and vitamins. Thrive helped me stay stable during the loss of my second brother in August 2016. So for me Thrive is worth the money. When you are not buying crappy foods or giving into cravings (that I do not have taking Thrive) the cost is not an issue. People spend way more money a month on bad food, bad habits,liquor, ect... not to mention the cost of medical bills they may have because of the lifestyle they lead. I do not push the product on anyone but if they ask I tell them what works for me and direct them to someone who sells it. My husband has never had a pound to lose in his whole life but is 16 yrs older than me. I think he takes Thrive to keep up! I don't sit still, never have, so he takes it for the vitamins...he feels great. My oldest daughter does foster care and has alot of stress...she seems to stay more stable and less stressed on it. That is my take on Thrive and I think it is a great product.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Unfortunately my friend got into this because his sister in law got him in. She is a certified personal trainer. I looked at her fb page. The obvious conflict there is that a CPT has a level of trust assumed in their being in that profession, like a CPA or Lawyer would have in their profession with their licensing. This woman has done VERY WELL selling Thrive, and all I can hope is that the people who respect her profession and trusted her with her pitch have experienced positive benefits from getting in on her MLM advice. Otherwise, I would hate to be her with the rear view mirror she has to look in every day when she leaves for work or returns from work.
  • bdubois63
    bdubois63 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    In addition to above comment I made.... Yes I did have my DR. look over the product.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    andrea4736 wrote: »
    I figure if masses of people selling it could show me some picture proof of results, I'd give just about anything a try. I can't help but notice a lot of the MLM "pushers" are extremely overweight or unhealthy individuals. That in itself is more than enough for me to stay away. Show me some crazy results and I'll probably show you my money, lol.

Problem is, a lot of MLM pushers steal before/after pics from websites, social media feeds, etc. and post them claiming that one of their "clients" got those results from taking whatever MLM junk they're selling. There's nothing (legal) out there, MLM or not, that legitimately delivers "crazy" results. Or any results at all, for that matter, absent a caloric deficit. There's no magic pill, despite all the lies and fraud contained in supplement advertising.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I tried it, the first few days I felt great and actually decided to join. About 3-4 weeks in, I was sluggish, sleeping all the time, depressed, and couldn't make it through my workouts. I quit after 2 months, sold all my stuff back to another rep, and my energy and good mood returned after a few weeks.
  • andrea4736
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    andrea4736 wrote: »

Problem is, a lot of MLM pushers steal before/after pics from websites, social media feeds, etc. and post them claiming that one of their "clients" got those results from taking whatever MLM junk they're selling. There's nothing (legal) out there, MLM or not, that legitimately delivers "crazy" results. Or any results at all, for that matter, absent a caloric deficit. There's no magic pill, despite all the lies and fraud contained in supplement advertising.

Couldn't agree more! Whenever I need to talk myself down from falling for an "easy fix" sales pitch, I just have to remind myself that if there was an easy way out, everyone would be healthy and fit.