"Skinny Fat" and looking for workouts

Options
Hello! Currently I am in the "skinny fat" category and would like advice on some good at-home workouts or other tips to help get a leaner body! In January I weighed 145 pounds and am currently 127 pounds from dieting alone. I now want to incorporate workouts! I am a 19 year old nursing student so my schedule is very busy, and I am not impressed with my apartment's workout room so I do not like to use it. Does anyone have any good at-home workouts to recommend? Preferably free (lol). I am ready to get toned and defeat the "skinny fat" stage!!

Replies

• Kaliopix333
    Kaliopix333 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and think it's a great place to start! You can find the first two levels free on youtube and then for level 3 you would have to buy the DVD which is under $10! It gives a great full body workout! The calorie burn isn't huge but I was able to tone up!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Google bodyweight exercises
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I second 30 day shred. When I did it before I used 30DS as a "warm up" every day since it's short and alternated cardio and body weight days. You can also check out: https://www.muscleforlife.com/the-ultimate-bodyweight-workout-routine/
    They have a decent set towards the middle (just scroll past they crap they're trying to sell). You can modify to match your needs but it's good as a starting format.
  • jesswolf77
    jesswolf77 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Wow, impressive! I love Jillian too but I get bored kind of easily so I use a streaming program for $9/month that gives me access to TONS of great programs. I'm currently training for my first figure competition without ever going to the gym!

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You can also get strong lifts 5x5 if you can get a hold of some weights. Also there is all the beach body workouts that don't use weights. You stream that for like $100 for a year I think. Also You Tube has a lot of options.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    For dealing with "skinny fat" problems, any exercise that gets your heart rate up will help, but since the primary thing you're trying to do is to exercise the heart I would look at cardio. Swimming and cycling are viable options for anyone, but since excess weight straining the joints isn't an issue running is a much more viable option for skinny fat people. Just be sure to take it slow at first and build up to thirty minutes or more per day. You're trying to reduce your risk of heart attack, not cause one.