How many are under their calorie goal?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    BaddS4 wrote: »
    I think the biggest factor for me is keep my carb count to 50 grams a day or under and foods that are low in carbs generally don't carry a lot of calories in them..

This is not true. Carbs have 4 calories per gram and with fiber not all of those are absorbed making the calorie count per gram even lower.

Fat has 9 calories per gram.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You're killing your lean muscle mass :(

At best you'll be skinny fat. It is not a good look.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest factor for me is keep my carb count to 50 grams a day or under and foods that are low in carbs generally don't carry a lot of calories in them.. I do enjoy smart carbs like baby carrots and a sweet potato on the weekend with a 8 oz steak :) I eat till my body says enough then put the fork down and push the plate back.. I never go hungry.. When I need to eat I eat, it's just in smaller portions, but I'm trying to find that balance still. I have a long way to go on this journey and I'm very committed to hitting my target weight..
    I really appriciate everyones input on this.. Thank you very much!! :)

You're way off finding balance at the moment.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think the biggest factor for me is keep my carb count to 50 grams a day or under and foods that are low in carbs generally don't carry a lot of calories in them.. I do enjoy smart carbs like baby carrots and a sweet potato on the weekend with a 8 oz steak :) I eat till my body says enough then put the fork down and push the plate back.. I never go hungry.. When I need to eat I eat, it's just in smaller portions, but I'm trying to find that balance still. I have a long way to go on this journey and I'm very committed to hitting my target weight..
    I really appriciate everyones input on this.. Thank you very much!! :)

If you are on a ketogenic diet, you need foods high in fats (fat is used as an energy source). So replace the lean proteins with a fatty proteins. Incorporate butters and oils. Add in nuts and cheeses. But as a male, you will increase muscle loss with your current plan. The increase in muscle loss will increase down regulation of metabolism, cause you to be weaker (from less muscle), can lead to gallbladder issues, and possibly cause other deficiencies (loss of hair, brittle nails, cracking skin, etc..).
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    jeshutt wrote: »
    How do you feel on it? (I just ignore the 'you're not eating enough'. You can log it, it just won't appear on your news feed.)
    Calorie restriction may promote good health - it improves insulin sensitivity, which in turn reduces fasting glucose concentrations and it reduces abdominal obesity. So long as you are getting enough nutrients, and you feel good, you'll be okay.

An adult male eating only 900 calories is not doing things in a healthy way and there's almost no chance he's getting in the needed amount of nutrients. This goes way beyond normal calorie restricting.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Just curious how many of you are under your calorie goal or finding it hard to eat enough to reach it??
    Everyday I have to make up food I haven't eaten so the app will let me close out my food log for the day..
    im allowed 2200 calories a day but on a weekday I might get in 900 of them.. Unless I have 1200 minimum it gives the the "you might not be eating enough" message...
    Also with all the exercise I do I can realistically eat over 3000 per day but I feel guilty if I dip into them..
    Also I'm low carb, so no bread, rice, pasta or potatoes for me...

Im sûre im not the only one who's having this issue... Or am I???

LOL I never "close out my food log".
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Your diary is set to private, but my first question is "Are you using a food scale to weigh everything and logging everything into MFP?"

I would hate to tell you to eat more, only to find out that your 900 calories per day is really 1800 because you are underestimating or not accurately logging.

Everything I eat or drink.. Minus the black coffee is logged... But I'm going to have to up my count starting now to get a better healthier result.. One more question... Should I be dipping into my workout calories or can I just stick to the daily limit of 2200??
    I want to be lighter, leaner and healthier... Just not sure on how to go about it properly... I went from 275 to 185 in July, but since put back on almost 30... My ideal weight would be 175..
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Your diary is set to private, but my first question is "Are you using a food scale to weigh everything and logging everything into MFP?"

I would hate to tell you to eat more, only to find out that your 900 calories per day is really 1800 because you are underestimating or not accurately logging.

Everything I eat or drink.. Minus the black coffee is logged... But I'm going to have to up my count starting now to get a better healthier result.. One more question... Should I be dipping into my workout calories or can I just stick to the daily limit of 2200??
    I want to be lighter, leaner and healthier... Just not sure on how to go about it properly... I went from 275 to 185 in July, but since put back on almost 30... My ideal weight would be 175..

Many people eat back 50-75% of their exercise calories.
  • dabeck62
    dabeck62 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have 1700 calories a day to eat and usually come within 200 every day. I have wiggle room in what I'm eating to go more low-cal on some options for when MFP lowers my allowance. I never eat my exercise calories unless it was a day I REALLY burned a lot and overate to compensate. To add more protein to my diet, a friend recommended Dannon's Light and Fit Greek yogurt which has about 80 calories and 12g of protein. Breakstone has a 4 oz cottage cheese that is 90 cals and 10g protein; this is a little high in sodium at 350. I also like PB on celery sticks. I've been to many dieticians in my life, and they concur with many of the posts above that eating less than 1200/day is not recommended as our bodies need fuel for energy and bodily functions. If they put someone on less than that due to upcoming surgery, etc., they would add vitamins. Wishing you the best of luck, you'll get it figured out!
  • abs1970
    abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Every single day! My calories are set at 1700 but I struggle to get close.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

If your goal is to be lean, then you need a program that will get you there. VLCD will not get your lean.. they will get you skinny and flabby. To get lean, you need adequate calories, adequate protein and a good progressive overload resistance program (to force your body to sustain muscle mass or even gain some). Feel free to look at the below thread. It's directed at those who struggle to gain, but it's applicable to all. And if you need ideas, feel free to look at my diary. I eat big...all the time.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    abs1970 wrote: »
    Every single day! My calories are set at 1700 but I struggle to get close.

Maan I struggle to stay under 1700 calories!

OP fat is your friend, especially on low carb. How many grams are you getting per day? When i was doing keto i would make 1000 calorie shakes, super delicious and filling (which may not be appropriate for you at the moment if your full on 900 calories..

You said you're logging your food, but are you also weighing it? I'm hoping you may be underestimating and eating more than you think. Can you make your diary public, it will help to give you more specific advice.

Go here to change it from private to public - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    ... cheese ...

That, by itself, can add several hundred calories.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    ... cheese ...

That, by itself, can add several hundred calories.

Dip it into a jar of peanut butter and you're Golden :lol:
  • spenc775
    spenc775 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am only consuming on average 550 Calories a day and find it extremly difficult to eat any more.
    Yes in the past I have had eating disorder, and have been to three different nutritionist and dietians. I know what to eat and how much but actually doing it is impossible.
    I do not eat sugar, processed food, wheat, diary, or nuts so what else can I eat.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1810 and I usually reach near there. If I have extra exercise calories, I may eat back some of them and then my day would be higher like 1950 or 2100.

Your 900 seems extremely low. I have no difficulty reaching 1600 to 1700, which leaves me a small deficit.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options

You say it's logged, but is is weighed/measured properly? I find it really hard to believe all these people who got fat by eating too many calories, suddenly claim that 850 calories, 1000 calories are just really hard to eat. I would think it is more likely you are eating a lot more than you think you are.