I have been hit with the flu bug and have not worked out in four days

Options
What is the longest you have gone without working out I feel so guilty going to try and start up tomorrow?.. I feel like all my progress is slipping away because I have not been able to work out.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    3weeks with a really bad flu bug.
    I tried to get back to it early one year and it set me back weeks.

Rest, drink lists, eat at maintenance, take care of your body, do light workouts, if you must, or walk. Don't go to the gym until you are fully recovered- for your own health and everyone else's.

Get well soon, h.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i had strep and it knocked me out of the gym for about a week and a half and then it took another week and half for my strength to come back..I would say take it slow on coming back and give yourself a week or two to get back into it...don't just expect to go back in a few days and be moving the same amount of weight or doing same amount of reps...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    About 12 weeks from mid July to mid October I couldn't do much more than rehab work for a couple of injuries...for a good time, I couldn't even really walk...life happens. I've regained my fitness nicely...muscle memory is nice that way.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    As an aside, if you work out in a gym, please stay home until you are better. There are enough germs floating around those places that you don't need to add to them. Plus, if you immune system is a bit overloaded from fighting what you have, you may be more likely to pick something else up.

I swear some gyms are worse than Kindergarten for germs.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Mine started as influenza beginning of February, which then turned into pneumonia which I'm on antibiotics for now. Been down and out since Feb 8. That was the last time I did a true workout and it took everything I had to finish it. Yesterday was the first day that I've actually done something since then and it was only a light stroll. Afterwards I felt wiped!!! Not even attempting to do a serious workout. I say listen to your body. That's what my Dr. told me. Eventually you will get there. Until then you need to take care of yourself.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    As an aside, if you work out in a gym, please stay home until you are better. There are enough germs floating around those places that you don't need to add to them. Plus, if you immune system is a bit overloaded from fighting what you have, you may be more likely to pick something else up.

I swear some gyms are worse than Kindergarten for germs.

I workout at home. With having 5 kids ages 8-1 sickness is inescapable unfortunately in our home.

I will be sure to take it easy. Thanks everyone.

• bossymom15
    bossymom15 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    In your shoes right now! Been out of work for a week with the flu. Doing good to make it a whole day at work, and going home exhausted. I miss working out, but I know I'm not going to be out running for a while yet. All the above is good advice I needed to hear!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    All Your Progress Won't Slip Away In A Few days. If you've been working out regularly, you can get back where you were quickly. You might not have any loss at all, your body might appreciate the short break, Get well soon!
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hope you get well soon. I was just about to pose the same question. Came down with a cold yesterday and barely made it through my workout. Today is an off day so not a problem but looks like tomorrow will be a no-go. This will be the first one I have missed in months.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    All Your Progress Won't Slip Away In A Few days. If you've been working out regularly, you can get back where you were quickly. You might not have any loss at all, your body might appreciate the short break, Get well soon!

Also this...often when I come back from a vacation I will hit PRs on just about everything from my lifts to my rides. Often rest does the body good.