Obese runner-help getting started

Options
My best friend has decided she wanted to get in shape after she had gained some weight. I was the only one out of our friends to make her comfortable to go to the gym but I personally hate running. My main issue is that regardless of how long I do it I don't feel like I'm getting better. She wants to run a 5k now and wanted me to do it with her. How can I get started? I don't want her to stop just because running isn't my strength when it comes to fitness.

I weigh close to 300lbs so if anyone is in that boat or was in it before I would appreciate your advice!

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Do you currently walk? I would start with walking as briskly as you can. When you can do that for an hour or so, start adding in short jogs before going back to walking. Gradually increase the time you spend running. There is a good program called Couch to 5k (c25k) that starts with one minute runs, 2 minute walks and teaches you to run 30 minutes by the end of 9 weeks. Because of your weight, I would start out either on a good TM or on dirt/grass to lessen the impact on your knees, ankles, and feet. Keep your pace slow, really really slow. Get good running shoes from a running store to get the support and cushioning you need.

• Kapoten
    Kapoten Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It's great that you want to support your friend, but if you don't like running, maybe you could find a different activity to do together that you both enjoy. Ultimately, you are not responsible for her health. That being said, if running is something that you genuinely want to try getting into, I agree with the prior poster about building up a base of walking and then transitioning to a "Couch to 5K" style program. You don't even need to use a formal program when you are ready to incorporate jogging. Just pick a period of time (maybe 15-30 minutes to start) and walk, then jog until you are tired out, then walk, then jog again when you feel rested. Over time, as your endurance builds and your body adjusts, you will find yourself walking less and jogging more. Whatever you do, listen to your body, go slow and easy to avoid injury, and check with your doctor if you have any concerns. And if running doesn't stick, don't worry -- there are plenty of ways to exercise and stay healthy that do not involve running :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    your friend has to find her own motivation, not rely on your for support.

if you want to do it though, try C25K
  • 1nprgr3s
    1nprgr3s Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You are an awesome friend! I did c25k a few years ago and was able to jog 5ks after the program, so I would recommend that.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    If you're not used to doing a lot of walking, I would start there. While it may seem harmless, I have been sore from walking too much too frequently when I was just starting out. From there I started adding jogging intervals for whatever I was comfortable with, until eventually I was able to run for a longer duration. It took me a long time to work up to being able to run a full 5k, but it was a great way to challenge myself as I lost weight.
    I also like the elliptical as an alternative/cross training.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Give C25K a go, take it super slowly and build up. Don't worry if you have to repeat weeks, just keep at it and you will get there! Speaking as someone who never thought they could run for 2 minutes let alone 20, I can thoroughly recommend doing it that way :smile:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Why would you force yourself to perform an exercise you hate? This is irrelevant of the fact that at your current weight running isn't advisable due to the high risk of injury to the knee and ankle joints.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Walk first.

I turned from a running hater to a (slow) runner with c25k. But I walked for the better part of two years before that.

Your joints need to be eased into the concussion that you will be enduring, especially at your weight. My other advice if you really want to run is to go so much slower than you think you need to.

My other real advice is- if you hate running- don't do it. I shoehorned myself into it because I'm stay home mom with a husband who is never home and I didnt have more time to walk.

But I much prefer lifting- so I do that 4 days a week. If you like it you will stick to it. Your friend is responsible for herself. You do whatever it is that you can do that will let you get healthy and stay that way. Good luck!
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    All good advice here. I am a former obese runner. Now I am merely an overweight runner :-) I began with walking. Frequently and for a minimum of 10,000 steps a day. After about a month or so of that I began the C25K program via a free app. I went to the running store and paid a kidney for some good running shoes and got started. Follow the program, slow down and accept the challenges it lays before you. I still remember my first 20 minute non stop run. It seemed like am impossible hurdle but I did it and every run after that. The program really does set you up for success. Don't overdo it. Rest and go slow. Let your body become accustomed to the new experience.

I am not a speed demon but I completed C25K a couple of months ago and am up to 6 miles now. It's great exercise and a wonderful feeling of accomplishment when you set your goals and reach them. The endorphin rush is a treat as well :-) Good luck to you!
  • ICameToGetDown
    ICameToGetDown Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Like the others have stated: you need to be able to walk at a decent pace for over an hour before you try to jog/run. Please be sure you get fitted for the proper shoes. Shin splints and other injuries need to be avoided.
    Stretching! Yoga! Be sure your back and legs are good and stretched after the activity. A little cat cow can do wonders for your back.
    C25k may be a bit much for you even in the beginning. Jog 15 seconds, then walk two minutes, build up to longer spurts.
    I have been at this for a few months and can go about .25 of a mile or so before I have to walk about 30/45 seconds, then I jog again. I still struggle with the breathing.
    People will say to go slow, but you need to jog even slower.
    With persistence, you will see big improvement.
    In August I was averaging 14 minutes and now I am at 12/mile.
    Many more are faster, but I am beating those sitting on the couch :-) I have lost about 75lbs, but still more to go and am considered obese.
    It's a great activity to get outside and breathe in the fresh air and view the beauty around us.
    You are a good friend to want to help.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    One more vote for walking before you try to run. I walked from 330 to about 300, then added in little bits of running until I was about 275. Then I started the C25K. I could have started it sooner from a fitness POV, but I waited until Jan 1 to start the C25K. Finished last week but only running at 4 mph so now my goal is to get faster so I actually run 5K in 35-40 mins. I did all of this on a treadmill as it's too cold where I am to venture outside.

Get good shoes. Go to a running store and have someone who knows what to look for watch you walk. You want the right support level to avoid hurting yourself.

You never know. You may enjoy it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can do the 5k with her, each at your pace. That means you can walk. I wouldn't recommend running until you get to 200, maybe less if you're short. Unless you're already very fit and strong, maybe. Running is hard on the joints, muscles, and ligaments and every extra pound exaggerates the impact. Walking is great and you can make a lot of progress.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    To add to what has already been said, there are plenty of people out there that walk 5Ks or do short run/walk intervals. Since your friend seems to be motivated by the idea of completing the 5K race, maybe you could convince her that this is a good place to start. For the record, I have never done a 5k that did not have a good portion of the field walking.
  • nmgu
    nmgu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like C25K as well. And I prefer the indoor track, since it's easier for starting runners (such as myself). I'm also hesitant to recommend running at all. Walking might be better at first, or doing biking and ellipticals.