Cardio with stronglift 5x5

Options
I am a 50 yo female who started stronglift 5x5 three weeks ago. I need to lose weight while building muscle. Should I add cardio also? I have heard conflicting information on this.

Replies

• AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Cardio helps your endurance and over all fitness but it won't actually help you lose weight. If you want to add it in do it. Otherwise just count calories and lift if you want
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    #1 not an expert, but as someone also doing the program my research and experience has told me to KEEP IT LIGHT. Don't try to do extended cardio between lifting days. Too much will make both your lifting AND cardio suffer. I might go on a long walk or light jog on my "off" days. Lifting will build strength, boost your metabolism, and help preserve your lean mass while you loose fat. More important than lots of cardio is a good diet.

Others feel free to expand of correct anything I have here
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I am currently using the Stronglifts training program. He does address cardio in his FAQ's. Personally, I do a 5-10 minute walk when i get to the gym, just to get my body moving, to "get in the zone", etc. Then I work on my 5x5 with warm ups. After, I'll do a full run and am training myself to be able to run after (adding a few seconds each time). I'm doing that to condition my cardiovascular system (and so at some point I know I will have the conditioning I need to run for a distance, etc.). I don't do anything in between lifting days, other than walking, because I am dang tired and my muscles hurt. I don't want to compromise my lifting because I went for too long of a run during my rest day, KWIM?

That said - you have to know who you are and what are you doing. So if you need to condition your heart and lungs because you can't walk up the stairs without getting winded, and you want general fitness while increasing your strength and losing weight.. you might find a way to work in some cardio at the end of your 5x5 routine. But if you are thinking that it's required in order to lose weight... there are other ways to acquire a deficit without making you even more physically taxed.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you only need to be eating in a deficit. Cardio can be done if you want to improve your conditioning, heart, lungs etc...but isn't required.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I am a 50 yo female who started stronglift 5x5 three weeks ago. I need to lose weight while building muscle. Should I add cardio also? I have heard conflicting information on this.
    Cardio will help you lose weight, dependent on the length and intensity of the cardio. If your goal is to lose weight, add it in at the end of your lifting routine or on a separate day. You don't have to do the cardio but you should also keep in mind it's pretty difficult to gain muscle while in a calorie deficit, although if you are new to this, you'll probably achieve good results in definition and strength.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out I would spend a month or two assessing your weight loss with just lifting.

This will give you time to get your calorie counting on point- weighing solids and measuring liquids. This is the most important part of weight loss.

It will also give you a chance to adjust your exercise calories to fuel this one activity and make sure your loss per week is consistent with your stated goal.
    Don't scrimp on eating back your calories.

This is also a good time to work on form before you progress to heavier weights.

As far as cardio goes, personally I find that if I try to do anything other than LISS ( low intensity steady state) walking or rowing, I burn out really fast even when eating at maintenance.

Take it slow and don't over extend yourself in the beginning.

Cheers, h.