medial shin pain

Options
FairyMiss
FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
I have recenlty started doing some running, now that i am able to run more i am getting pain in my medial lower leg,
today it was bothering me while doing my insanity, I had run a small bit earlier in the day.

any ideas on relieving this pain .

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Google shin splints, or search the forums on here. Lots of people get them. The best relief I have had is by filling little paper cups with water, freezing them, then rubbing the ice up and down your shins peeling the paper cup down as the ice melts. Keep doing this until the ice is melted.
  • jadehound
    jadehound Posts: 3
    Options
    Having suffered from shin splints all my life, I would recommend that you ice (before and after runs, if you can), stretch your calves really good, and massage the front and back of your lower legs (or having it done for you). When massaging the front of your leg, pay particular attention to the space between the tibia/fibia bones, as this is an area that can "trap" excess fluid, leading to another favorite, compartment syndrome. Oh, and another thing, although you CAN run more, in the beginning you need to moderately increase your distance to give your legs time to toughen up and adjust.
    Hope I made sense! :smile:
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    as someone also suffering from shin splints, listen to jade, she knows A LOT about shin splints. ice, aleve & rest is my treatment
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    sounds like shin splints too me also. You might try some K-tape also.. You can get it amazon for relatively cheap. I use it for my Achilles pain.

Take it easy! and the ice like mbcarreno said!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]4925355.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    biofreeze, rest, ice and foam roll before a run.

also, did you get fitted for running shoes?
    sometimes the way we run puts unnecessary stress on certain areas and can easily be remedied by the right type of sneaker.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    thanks all, just got some basic cross trainers , if i am going to continue runnng will invest in some better shoes.

another question. since i decided to get in shape i have had my plantar facsiitis flare up, and now this. and the funny thing is both problems are in the leg i broke quite quite severly 11 years ago, spiral fracture of the tib-fib consiting of 4 or 5 actuall breaks. it was of a severity that should have been plated but closed reduction due to 7 months pregnant. casted for 6 months, no physical therepy.

could this have anything to do with the issues i am having now?
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but I think it's possible, personally. I get shin splints for sure, but they work themselves out after a few weeks. However, I tore a ligament in my left ankle years ago and it flares up so bad when I run. I don't think I'll ever get past that pain.