Reached goal. Now what?

Options
I reached my weight goal and now I am wondering if I keep everything as is or add some calories to my daily goal? I want to
Focus on building some muscle but at same time be cautious not to pack on fat pounds. What's best thing to aim for next?

Thanks

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Maintenance/recomp .... Or building/gaining with an small surplus to minimise fat gain whilst you build muscle.

Both would include an increase in calories, just depends which path you follow as to how much you increase by
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Smile, pat yourself on the back and then have a serious thought about new goals for the short and long term plus your strategy for keeping the weight off.

Worth having a scan through this forum for ideas and experiences.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Smile, pat yourself on the back and then have a serious thought about new goals for the short and long term plus your strategy for keeping the weight off.

Worth having a scan through this forum for ideas and experiences.
    Yep :) Congratulations by the way.

At the top of this forum is a "helpful posts" link. I'd browse that for starters.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300324/most-helpful-posts-goal-maintaining-weight-must-reads#latest
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • shanelnumber5
    shanelnumber5 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Good job! I hit a similar scenario about 6 months ago. I am currently taking classes in the health and human performance department at my local collage and had to perform a lab with underwater weighing about a year before I lost the weight (which gave me an estimated goal weight for health) and again had to perform underwater weighing a year later. Turns out I lost 40 lbs but gained 6% body fat which put me from barely being overweight into the obese range! I would highly recommend getting an underwater weighing done because it tells you so much about your composition. I keep running to keep up my cardiovascular fitness but have also began to incorporate weight lifting. I no longer need to cut calories so I am performing so much better and the weight lifting keeps me injury free. You might need to just change up your routine a bit.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to start a reverse diet to SLOWLY add calories back in. Hammer the weights and work hard. As you get your calories up from week to week, you'll get to a point where you are maintaining weight to just gaining ~1-2 lbs/month. That's where you want to be to conservatively add muscle mass with minimal body fat.

Here, check out this youtube video on this subject
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gTGLulLnI
  • HvymetalMG
    Options
    Thanks
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Congrats on reaching your goal. As one or two other posters have said Now's the Time for you to figure out what you want to do. Personally I've started a body recomposition so I know I'm going to gain some pounds but I'm not worried about that cuz everything I read about the body recomp is that even though you gain the weight the inches will come off in certain areas. I'm not looking to build bulk I'm looking to build nice lean muscle tone basically like a swimmer has. It's a personal decision that you'll figure out overtime

In the beginning I was just happy with the weight loss but then I've always been a gym rat and I started doing some lifting nothing heavy because of arthritis and some other joint issue so I've gotten more light weights to build muscle tone and I like the way I'm going. One of the other benefits is I'm eating a lot more and it's really surprising the hell out of me how much more I can eat and not gain weight but I am seeing more of a cut and a lean look
  • HvymetalMG
    Options
    Steve. Do you have some tips you can share. I think I'm at the stage to make that decision to get lean as you mentioned.