Unreasonably difficult to lose weight.

Options

Replies

• kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    The more leaner you are the harder to lose weight. Change your training routine, once your body adapts to a routine you reach a plateue and a cheat meal would be good. Drink black coffee without sugar before you train and wear a sweat suit. Taking few days off from training would be good too.
  • pennys_plagiarized_passions
    Options
    We should wait for her to answer

Lol!
    Smart answer. xD
    I find it odd that anyone would argue about this... my personal weight loss problem. O.o
    And I probably should just talk to a doctor about this.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Why aren't you losing weight? Well...

1. You might be overestimating how many calories you're burning from exercising. The most we can realistically burn from exercise alone is about 200-300 calories per day. Your body has a sort of threshold of how many calories it can handle burning per day. When you cross your body's calorie threshold, it starts dialing down other functions to keep you from burning more. These can include immune system function, cellular repair, and for women, reproductive cycle activity like ovulation.

See a discussion here: http://www.vox.com/2016/6/29/12051520/exercise-weight-loss-myth-burn-calories-video

When calculating your TDEE, always use sedentary.

2. The other thing is you might be eating more than 1300 calories per day. If you look at weight loss studies, the majority indicate people tended to underreport their food intake and overreport their exercise. When determining calorie goals, keep that in mind and undershoot. Make sure you log everything, measure everything, weight everything, read all the labels, etc.

3. Finally, if you are doing all that and it's not working, you might have a metabolic problem like a thyroid condition or a rare genetic disorder that impacts your ability to lose weight by not allowing you to properly metabolize certain types of food. You could have an immune system disorder that results in swollen lymph nodes or improper drainage, like Lipedema.

Given that these conditions are pretty rare and I know nothing about you, it's more likely to be some combination of one and two.
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I feel like this is a combo of imprecise food measurement (since you admit you are not weighing food, are eyeballing, etc.) and overestimating your burns big time.

How does 3 hours of martial arts equal 2000 calories burned? What are you measuring that burn by? What % of exercise calories are you eating? With a HRM I can run 3 hours on trail at 5'10" and not get to a 2000 calorie burn and that level of cardio is sustained whereas I imagine (correct me if I am wrong! I admittedly don't know a ton about your sport and am all for learning) you would be less consistent in your burn due to stationary periods between bouts, etc.

I would tighten up food logging first because that is the easiest thing to rectify and then if nothing improves it would be time to revisit how you are logging activity. Sounds like you are really enjoying your training regimen right now, happy for you OP!

This is a good point, but I actually only include the sparring and the mitt work when I calculate my calories. I do not include warm ups, drills, practicing techniques, or any of that.
    I usually have 50seconds off after every 3-4 minute round of sparring. I think that is already taken into account though (my fitness pal will say that 45 minutes of sparring burns under 500calories).

Also I have an app to measure my distance, time, and calories burned when I run. So that was almost uncountable accurate.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Your profile is still private so we can't advise u on ur calorie counting
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I feel like this is a combo of imprecise food measurement (since you admit you are not weighing food, are eyeballing, etc.) and overestimating your burns big time.

How does 3 hours of martial arts equal 2000 calories burned? What are you measuring that burn by? What % of exercise calories are you eating? With a HRM I can run 3 hours on trail at 5'10" and not get to a 2000 calorie burn and that level of cardio is sustained whereas I imagine (correct me if I am wrong! I admittedly don't know a ton about your sport and am all for learning) you would be less consistent in your burn due to stationary periods between bouts, etc.

I would tighten up food logging first because that is the easiest thing to rectify and then if nothing improves it would be time to revisit how you are logging activity. Sounds like you are really enjoying your training regimen right now, happy for you OP!

The bolded parts are where you should start, OP. Start weighing and logging accurately and reassess your progress in about 3-4 weeks. I suspect you'll see the numbers on the scale start to move in the right direction.
    Options
    I will try to adjust my profile again.
    I just want to say that I made this post thinking someone might say, "That happened to me too and this is what it was." And I understand that a lot of people had issues with counting their calories burned and consumed.
    I do think that this is probably a medical problem... right now I have at least had an appetite, so I am not going through the crisis where I would run 4 miles and then spend all day fighting people and only eat half a banana, half a bowl of cereal, three bites of yogurt, a handful of pistachios, and a piece of turkey sausage which would take me all day to finish.
    This is a strong indicator that I probably do have a metabolic/hormonal problem (which I had been diagnosed with in the past, but other doctors raised an eyebrow and said that it wasn't so).
    Right now it is not THAT extreme (I have been eating more than 1,300 calories) and I actually do seem to lose more weight when I workout a bit less and eat a bit more.

So I will talk to a doctor when I get a chance.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    So, out of curiosity I was able to see your diary. I didn't see 1300 calories, I saw like 2000+ on most days with a few days here and there with like 1500-1800. Another thing I noticed is you eat a lot of processed sugary foods. Just because something contains "all natural ingredients" doesn't mean it's not junk food. I mean, you can lose weight on a diet of that stuff no problem as long as you can maintain a calorie deficit. So if you're feeling crappy and cranky, try more nutrient dense sources of food. My favorite protein shake after I do Reformer Pilates or swim laps is homemade ovaltine mix (no sugar), 8 oz whole milk, and a big scoop of NOW whey protein blended with ice. I personally don't count exercise calories against my daily target but I know I'll get cranky if I don't get enough protein and fat after working out.

http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/homemade-ovaltine-malted-milk-powder-chocolate-and-plain/
  • dianak_sea
    dianak_sea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend you at least read a book or two on the ketogenic 'diet.' Most people who dismiss it haven't read enough about it from a large variety of sources. Evaluate any opinions for what duration of time they have tried it. Anything less than a month should not be relied upon as reliable for making a choice. I recommend The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living or Keto Clarity for some solid information. It's good to get both sides of the story. Good luck! =)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    omfgitsray wrote: »
    Do the Ketogenic Diet! Trust me you'll lose the weight quick!:)

You're welcome
    fatblatta wrote: »
    Ignore the people that tell you to do what you're doing and not having success. Don't weigh your food and count your calories. Eat until you are full and satisfied.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight

Good Luck!

Not everything has to be about a Ketogenic Diet guys. The OP can choose whatever diet works to her advantage...that might even be just eating the same foods that she always has but just eating less of them.

For me personally...I do eat fewer carbs than I used to...it works for me for various reasons...some of them health related. I don't however think that it is the answer for everyone...nor do I believe that everyone has to eat the same way that I do.

Let's give it a break...have a discussion that doesn't center around the "CARB".

Yea, let's give stuff that doesn't work for everyone a break too. "Ignore this?" Really. I'm not getting into it with people on the Internet. The first response on here is to eat less and weigh your food. Give me a break. This is old and tired. If you are someone who has lost weight and gained it back many times, eat less and weigh your food is torture and horribly slow.

I offered the diet doctor page to provide something many people are not familiar with. I wasn't.

Keto was torture for me. Lol.
  • Timberla82
    Timberla82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    mir1104 wrote: »
    From an athlete to another. Do you "taper" in your sport before a competition? Have you ever noticed how you'd actually lose some weight during a taper? That assuming you do tapers, us in triathlon do.
    It's cortisol usually anyway, the long hours training raise it, then leptin goes down and you know the effect is that...you're eating nothing but still you aren't losing. The only fix I have found was reducing the training load, to be honest it was the best deal ever even if I wasn't convinced about it at all but my coach pushed it and I tought to give him the benefit of doubt.
    Reducing hours of training (essentially we made a harder single daily session rather than two hald hearted ones) has had me shed 7kg (which coupled up with a 3kg lighter bike makes for way better climbs!) and I have had time to devore to stretching and foam rolling. As for performance, it went up esponentially so I would definitely recommend it but then it depends on what you can and cannot do in your sport/what your coach would do/etc...

Yes I was actually considering doing this!
    I have been accused of overt raining multiple times.

I'm nowhere near being an athlete but I do a lot of exercise to manage stress and feel healthy (eg today has been a 4km swim and a 40min game of futsal, tomorrow will be weights) but if I overtrain or don't get enough rest, I lose my appetite and don't lose any weight even if I'm under/on my calorie goal. Frustrating as all whatsit but a week or so with less heavy exercise, more sleep and doing some stretching/yoga/relaxing normally sorts me out. It could be completely different for you but stress and overtraining gets me big time. Good luck!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'd guess a combination of over estimating calorie burns, under estimating intake and over training which can lead to messed up hormones and water retention masking any fat loss that might be occurring.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I will try to adjust my profile again.
    I just want to say that I made this post thinking someone might say, "That happened to me too and this is what it was." And I understand that a lot of people had issues with counting their calories burned and consumed.
    I do think that this is probably a medical problem... right now I have at least had an appetite, so I am not going through the crisis where I would run 4 miles and then spend all day fighting people and only eat half a banana, half a bowl of cereal, three bites of yogurt, a handful of pistachios, and a piece of turkey sausage which would take me all day to finish.
    This is a strong indicator that I probably do have a metabolic/hormonal problem (which I had been diagnosed with in the past, but other doctors raised an eyebrow and said that it wasn't so).
    Right now it is not THAT extreme (I have been eating more than 1,300 calories) and I actually do seem to lose more weight when I workout a bit less and eat a bit more.

So I will talk to a doctor when I get a chance.

Yeah, I'm thinking there's possibly an overtrain/underfeed issue going on here and it's stressing your body...cortisol is probably through the roof and other hormones get jacked up too...these things can definitely make weight loss more difficult.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody.
    I am an athlete, and have been incredibly active (4-8hrs of exercise per day is not uncommon for me) for the majority of my adult life (I am 24).
    Weight loss seems pretty simple... burn more calories than you consume... but for some reason it has not been that easy for me.
    I am wondering if anyone has any ideas.

For the record, I feel fantastic. I can workout, literally fighting people (my fellow martial artists) for four hours and still (semi jokingly, you know, in a friendly way...) bully them into staying an extra round to fight me.
    Fruits, vegetables, protein... almost never do I have fried/fast/junk foods. Sometimes I have coffee, but I try to stick to tea.

So I do not feel like I am unhealthy in any way... I just pack on some extra pounds.
    There are days when I am 600-900 calories below my goal by the time I go to bed.
    I will tell you though, my rest days, the days where I don't work out as much, are the days that are the hardest for me to count my calories. I am hungry and irritable.
    However, I did not lose ANY WEIGHT AT ALL without counting my calories and "starving" just a little bit.

So... how on Earth do I manage to burn 2,000 calories in a day, consume maybe 1,300 (this is not the norm for me right now, so don't worry, but I had a problem where I had lost my appetite for a while), and not lose weight? ...Really I don't even understand how I remained standing on those days. O.o

Could there be something wrong with my health?
    I certainly don't FEEL like there is, but it is sad that I have struggled to lose weight...

I only looked back 2 weeks, but I don't see the 1300 calorie days.