Am I having a healthy caloric deficit?

Options
I eat approx. 1500-1800 calories a day but have been losing a pound every 2-3 days for 45 days now. I don't have a scale so I didn't know until I weighed myself a week or so ago at a friends house. I have a 7 month old baby who I am still breastfeeding and I still have thick breastmilk when I pump and feed her and she is rapidly gaining weight. I never go to bed hungry or feel light headed. I have always heard that losing more than a pound a week isn't realistic but don't feel like I'm over doing it!? I don't exercise but my baby recently learned to crawl so I am chasing her around on my hands and knees for a few hours a day. Is this normal!?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Height, weight, start weight?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Oh and how much have you lost so far.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    How do you know you've been losing at that weight consistently if you don't have a scale? And was your starting weight also done at your friend's house? Scale weights can be very off depending upon a number of factors.
  • lolo9494
    lolo9494 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" went from 190 to 168 in that time period and I just averaged how many days it was taking me to lose a pound based on that! It was the same scale that I weighed myself on last time too.
  • lolo9494
    Options
    I have heard some other breastfeeding mothers swear that their body held onto the baby weight until the six month mark?!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear, so averages don't work. You've lost about 22pounds over almost 7 weeks, so overall it's around 3 pounds a week - no problem at your weight, as long as you feel good and get the nutrition your body needs....
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Is your baby thriving?
  • BeyondApril
    BeyondApril Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    With each of my children, I lost the pregnancy weight the fastest while I was breastfeeding because it burns calories to produce the milk. I think I read it burns 500 calories a day, but it was a LONG time ago, lol, so that could be incorrect.
  • lolo9494
    Options
    Ok awesome! That's good to hear! Thanks.
    And yes my baby is doing great :) She is actually just about hitting the eight month mark and she is almost 20 lbs, and an early walker!
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding indeed burns about 500 calories/day. Some bodies seem to hold onto some fat to breastfeed, or cause big hunger that leads to keeping the weight, but I also lost all my baby weight + 10 extra pounds pretty much by breastfeeding.

The sad part is weaning led me to put on weight (as I kept eating all those free calories, and they weren't free anymore).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lolo9494 wrote: »
    I am 5'4" went from 190 to 168 in that time period and I just averaged how many days it was taking me to lose a pound based on that! It was the same scale that I weighed myself on last time too.

How old is your baby?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    lolo9494 wrote: »

How old is your baby?

She said seven months in her OP.