HELP! I need soft high-cal foods for post-surgery husband!

Options
kenyonhaff
kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
Hello MFP folks--I need some help feeding my husband.

He recently had surgery and is on a soft diet. Currently the most solid foods he can handle reasonably well is cottage cheese and really soft pasta.

Yesterday I figured out he had taken in about 1,000 calories at best. He's about 230 pounds. No wonder he has been exhausted and I think that may account for the constipation too.

I am planning to get some high fat ice cream to make milkshakes. We have some Ensure, too.

So here's where I need help: What are some HIGH CALORIE and SOFT foods I may not have thought of?

And is there milkshake recipes that are particularly nutritious for this sort of situation?

Replies

• kylecpatterson
    kylecpatterson Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Don't make him milkshakes. Are you serious? Try blending avocado with some protein powder and some spinach and coconut water. Add ice as needed.
  • kenyonhaff
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm not planning to feed him exclusively milkshakes.

I'd agree with the avocado smoothie idea, but I'm not sure he'd be convinced to drink it. He doesn't really like avacado. But guacamole might work.
  • kylecpatterson
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »

I'd agree with the avocado smoothie idea, but I'm not sure he'd be convinced to drink it. He doesn't really like avacado. But guacamole might work.

Slow cook him meat and veggies in a crock pot. Put in blender. Feed with spoon.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    peanut butter or other nut/seed butters. Since he can handle pasta toss it with pesto or cheese sauce. If you have a blender you can put all sorts of food in there. If he can handle pasta he can probably handle eggs.
  • kenyonhaff
    Options
    Unfortunately that is explicitly not OK yet.

Unfortunately meat chunks of any sort is still an explicit no-no and against doctor recommendation. He may be ready for that in 7-14 more days. I honestly can't wait until chili or stew is back on the menu. Very soft veggies apparently OK.
  • kenyonhaff
    Options
    peanut butter or other nut/seed butters. Since he can handle pasta toss it with pesto or cheese sauce. If you have a blender you can put all sorts of food in there. If he can handle pasta he can probably handle eggs.

Very soft eggs OK. But most egg dishes like quiche or frittata are still not.
    Maybe a peanut noodle dish? That's an idea there...
  • kylecpatterson
    Options

Unfortunately meat chunks of any sort is still an explicit no-no and against doctor recommendation. He may be ready for that in 7-14 more days. I honestly can't wait until chili or stew is back on the menu. Very soft veggies apparently OK.

I'm curious as to why a doctor would advise against eating any protein whatsoever, and I would be concerned of said doctors credentials with regard to nutrition in general. Care to elaborate on the surgery?
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I would second the mac and cheese idea...comfort food and you can make it as soft as he needs. You can also do some sort of loaded mashed potato...and if you want to get veggies in him, make it with half potato and half cauliflower. I can sneak that one by my family with no issues!

Chicken noodle soup might taste good to him also...overcook the veggies a bit to make sure they are soft. Not super high calorie though if that is what you are aiming for.

You could look up smoothie recipes if you are looking for a healthier version...I'm sure you could make a reasonably healthy and delicious chocolate peanut butter banana combo pretty easily! You could add some protein powder too if you feel like he needs more protein.

A good mix of healthy fats, carbs, and proteins will help his recovery (along with enough calories to fuel it). That is only "mom science" btw.... go with his doctors' recommendation!
  • kenyonhaff
    Options
    OOOHHHH chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie would go over really well I think...
    And maybe chicken noodle soup without chicken chunks would be OK...basically noodles and broth would be doable.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    Don't make him milkshakes. Are you serious? Try blending avocado with some protein powder and some spinach and coconut water. Add ice as needed.

Avocado is a good idea. But there is nothing wrong with giving him milkshakes when you are trying to add calories. I would also recommend nut butters and pasta with alfredo sauce.
  • kenyonhaff
    Options

I'm curious as to why a doctor would advise against eating any protein whatsoever, and I would be concerned of said doctors credentials with regard to nutrition in general. Care to elaborate on the surgery?

He had a Nissen wrap due to chronic acid reflux. Over-simplifying it quite a bit, he had his esophagus wrapped around in such a way so that the acid can't get up the way it did before. It causes a person to have to go on a liquid diet to soft diet for a few weeks until the body heals.

The doctor did not say no protein, just not chunks of meat. Pureed is fine, such as in baby food. In fact he can eat pretty much anything pureed. Saying that, it's amazing how unappetizing most food is when pureed.

And please be understanding that saying, "just eat this unappetizing food" is not something I want to put myself or him through. He's miserable and in pain. I am currently making two meals three times a day and about half the meals I make for him don't work out. This has been part of the issue of him not getting enough calories.

So I'm looking for ideas that are adult food, bonus points if it's foods my son and I will like too.
  • kylecpatterson
    Options

He had a Nissen wrap due to chronic acid reflux. Over-simplifying it quite a bit, he had his esophagus wrapped around in such a way so that the acid can't get up the way it did before. It causes a person to have to go on a liquid diet to soft diet for a few weeks until the body heals.

The doctor did not say no protein, just not chunks of meat. Pureed is fine, such as in baby food. In fact he can eat pretty much anything pureed. Saying that, it's amazing how unappetizing most food is when pureed.

And please be understanding that saying, "just eat this unappetizing food" is not something I want to put myself or him through. He's miserable and in pain. I am currently making two meals three times a day and about half the meals I make for him don't work out. This has been part of the issue of him not getting enough calories.

So I'm looking for ideas that are adult food, bonus points if it's foods my son and I will like too.

All I've suggested you to feed him is whole, unprocessed food. You calling it unappetizing is alarming. Blending slow cooked meat and veggies would be a puree like baby food but it would be 1000x more nutritious and would AID his recovery. If he doesn't like avocado add almond or peanut butter as they are another source of monounsaturated fat. Feeding him chocolate banana shakes I don't see a doctor recommending.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Google "Shelly's baked ricotta" it tastes amazing. I had weight-loss surgery and had to do a liquid - puree - soft food diet. Shelly has a ton of recipes on her website for purees. (her name is eggface) I pureed meatballs and added them to the marinara sauce to up the protein. 15 months later, I'm still eating it, I add garlic and seasonings to taste...
  • kenyonhaff
    Options
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    Google "Shelly's baked ricotta" it tastes amazing. I had weight-loss surgery and had to do a liquid - puree - soft food diet. Shelly has a ton of recipes on her website for purees. (her name is eggface) I pureed meatballs and added them to the marinara sauce to up the protein. 15 months later, I'm still eating it, I add garlic and seasonings to taste...

Oh that sounds lovely...thank you. Any other things work for you at that time?
  • kenyonhaff
    Options

He is having trouble getting in enough calories and milkshakes are highly caloric, soft, and highly palatable. It sounds like that's exactly what he could use to supplement his diet.

I entirely agree with you...this would be perfect. If I could get him to try it. Which unfortunately I highly doubt. :(
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i don't see anything wrong with milkshakes, or really mashed guacamole, peanut butter, mashed potatoes, chocolate pudding (or any flavor or custard like thing), greek yogurt, refried beans, you could make any vegetable soup and puree it to give it a smooth bisque consistency, polenta with cheese or scrambled eggs, creamed spinach.

maybe i should have edited the order of those things, because all listed like that it sounds like a pretty terrible meal, but individually they're all good.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options

All I've suggested you to feed him is whole, unprocessed food. You calling it unappetizing is alarming. Blending slow cooked meat and veggies would be a puree like baby food but it would be 1000x more nutritious and would AID his recovery. If he doesn't like avocado add almond or peanut butter as they are another source of monounsaturated fat. Feeding him chocolate banana shakes I don't see a doctor recommending.

She didn't say whole, unprocessed food was unappetizing. She said pureed food was unappetizing, and I totally agree.

You could try homemade cream soups like broccoli cheese or potato. Make as usual for the rest of the family and puree your husband's serving so no veggie chunks remain. You can even add extra cheese or use heavy cream for his portions to up calories.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

Oh that sounds lovely...thank you. Any other things work for you at that time?

I pureed chili, added some extra diced tomatoes with chiles in them to make it more liquid. I also bought protein powders so if I had to rely on smoothies I could do coffee with Fairlife Milk and protein powder (Quest brand is my favorite, still use it.) Or just milk with ice and protein powders.

Absolutely, pureeing just anything is disgusting and doesn't work. With avocado, use some milk, avocado, ice and fruit, he won't even know. Greek yogurt is still a big one in my diet. Cream soups in the blender worked, but not the greatest macro-wise if that's at all a concern. They all tend to be higher carb, some aren't so bad if you look at the healthy living, diet, whatever they call them brand by brand.

Canned chicken wasn't bad pureed, tuna was atrocious. I did a lot of ricotta bake, pureed meatballs in whatever sauce I could stomach, cottage cheese, yogurt, and protein shakes.

Good luck!

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I just looked at Webmd, it said a soft diet, not that everything needs to be pureed. I remember one fine chef in our local hospital who liquidised all the food, for one specific person, the meat and veggies individually so this person could enjoy blending their own combinations.

It also said swallowing air with foods could be an issue because it is not as easily eliminated as it was previously. Its an issue which should pass.