Sedentary Office Workers: How Do You Get Your Steps In?

Options

Replies

• RiderCG
    RiderCG Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    RiderCG wrote: »
    This thread was great to read. I don't have a fitbit so don't count my steps - but do have an office Job and worst of all - I work from home. So I literally walk 15 steps from my bed to my desk in the morning and that's about it.

I go to the gym after work but never thought to add things in during the day... I feel so silly! I'm going to try incorporating some of these ideas in my routine. Awesome!
    If you carry a phone, you can use it as a pedometer to count your steps and add some calories to MFP. :) I use Google Fit, but there's an iPhone version of something too. Adding in little bits of movement definitely adds up - there are days that I hit 2 hours of "activity" without going to the gym.

I'm definitely going to look into that, thanks!
  • Candy0928
    Candy0928 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1.) I walk the longest route to the kitchen, restroom, etc
    2.) I take the stairs instead of the elevator/escalator
    3.) (Subway commuter) I will get off 1-2 stops before my destination and walk the remainder
    4.) Lunch time is walk time. I pack something that allows me to walk and eat at the same time

I average between 13-15K steps daily...
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use a standing desk myself. Then I run 1.5 miles after work.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I walk around the house in the morning as I eat breakfast, and get ready for work, then I have to walk to the bus station, so I walk back and forth until the bus comes so I can get extra steps, and once the bus lets me off at the train station I do the same thing. At work I get up and go for walks. People are allowed to go out for smoke breaks, so I'm going to go for a walk every now and then! Are there really places that are going to get you in trouble for take a short walk every now and then? Also when I'm at work, I don't take the elevator between floors at our office (have to take it to the ground floor). I take the long way to the bathroom, and I spend my lunch break walking. Then on the way home I do the same thing as I did on the way in, and walk while waiting for the bus and train.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    I do an exercise dvd before work.
    I do a few laps in my work parking lot during the day.
    I walk for my full lunch hour and then eat at my desk when I get back.
    If I have a stack of things that need to go up on the cabinet (or files on the floor) for filing, I don't take them all at one time.
    I do my big, long walk after work.

I used to be so completely lazy but now sitting for long periods of time makes me antsy.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who have said not to put too much emphasis on your daily steps. Overall fitness/health can be maintained without reaching a specific step goal every day.

That being said, when I lost most of my weight, I was walking around 10,000 steps/day, and that was my main source of exercise. I have an hour lunch break at work, and most days during the week I go to the gym and walk on a treadmill for about 35 minutes. The gym happens to be about 5 minutes from my work, and I have free access through my work insurance.
    When the days are longer, I walk down my road at home, to make up the rest of the 10,000+ steps. When it gets dark earlier, I will often turn on the porch light and walk around my yard to get in more steps.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't. I try to get up every so often to go for a short walk around the building but I never get many steps. I normally walk at lunch but not so much during the winter. It can be frustrating.
  • Kristeenewd
    Kristeenewd Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of jogging in place throughout the day as I wait on short tasks ( microwave, commercial, waiting for my dogs to bathroom, kurig to brew, toaster, copier / printer (when no ones looking! ect. ). These add up quick, I find I can easily get 2000 steps in little short bursts like that. The rest comes from workouts.
  • fitRTs
    fitRTs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I walk my dog every morning, so I usually get about 4-5,000 steps in then. Once I get to work, I don't typically get up from my desk too much (and when I do I'm not walking far). I do have a fitbit that tells me to get my steps in every hour, and some days I try to stick to that - but it's not always possible. Lately with weather here being a bit nicer, I've been taking walks at lunch which really helps up the amount of steps I get during the day. Then when I'm home if I'm near 10,000 I house walk until I hit it!

Some days I just don't get them in. But the effort I'm making has definitely made a difference.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk on my breaks. I got 9,000 yesterday.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I take at least one conference call each day from my cell phone and walk around the building or around the small little pond/lake that we have here. I usually leave the office with around 6-7k steps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've really never worried about an arbitrary number of steps. I make time to workout at some level pretty much everyday.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, except the commute (you have my sympathy). My office is tiny with a small parking lot and no stairs. My cube is 20 steps from the bathroom and 40 steps from where my car is parked. I also bought a house on a narrow, curvy road with no sidewalks or shoulder to the road (oops...something to keep in mind for the next house!).

These are a few things I do to try to get in more steps.

1. Be generally less efficient. No carrying all 10 bags of groceries into the house at once. I'll get up a walk over to someone's cube rather than just yell (it's a pretty relaxed atmosphere at my office). :smile:
    2. Get up at least once an hour, whether at home or in the office.
    3. I drink a lot of tea, so while I wait for my water to warm up I'll jog in place.
    4. If I am on a phone meeting at work, I'll stand up and walk around my immediate area.
    5. If I have to talk on my cell phone, I'll talk and walk around my office/house.
    6. I'll spread out my chores so I'm doing one or two a day rather than all of them on one day.
    7. Whenever I play with my dog, I'll walk around my yard picking up sticks.
  • Sharon268
    Sharon268 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I work in a sedentary office job as well. The only way I get in my steps is if I start off the day with 5,000+ steps.
    I run or do whatever type of exercise I'm going to do that day in the mornings. 5am-6am is my walking, running, exercise time. Then, it's rush to get to work by 8:15 ( my commute is over an hour by train).

Then, during my lunch break, I walk outside or go up and down the office building's steps. I don't eat my lunch until I've at least walked around for 15 minutes or so.

If I haven't gotten all of my steps by the end of the work day, I know I have to do more after getting home and eating dinner.

For me, once I got into a routine, it's hard to break. Now, I do everything including exercise without thinking. When I go on vacation now and can sleep in, my body's up and rearing to go.

Commit to stick to a routine for about 3 months, and it will become second nature.
  • bethanyka
    bethanyka Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    a co-worker and I take a couple short walks throughout the day. maybe 10 minutes, 3 times a day depending on how busy the day is. Makes a huge difference.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As others said, steps are not technically necessary. They do however give you a lot of wiggle room in your weight loss though without "dedicated" exercise.

For steps: I requested a stand up desk. It moves up and down but I leave it up. I'll kneel on my chair if I need weight off my feet. I use the bathroom downstairs. I jog up/down the stairs so it doesn't take me any longer. I try to get in a 20-30 minute walk at lunch and a 10 minute "coffee/smoke" break walking around the building.

If those options for you, is an under desk cycle?
    https://www.amazon.com/DeskCycle-Exercise-Pedal-Exerciser-White/dp/B00B1VDNQA

For late exercise:
    I'll run at the gym, or do stairstepper or treadmill walk while watching netflix.
    my Krav Maga (martial arts class) is 8-9pm. My friend has late crossfit. I am sure that there are options near you to get in something short/intense that you may enjoy. (rather than going for steps).
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I use the restroom 2 floors above my office, and will often walk down the steps to the ground floor, and then back up to the top floor (only 5 stories, but better than nothing).

I also work out the second I get home, and consider this part of the work day.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    All, thanks for your advice, very interesting.

I don't work in a private building so I can't bring in things like a desk cycle or even get a stand up desk. It's just very restrictive here with what you can do.

Also, as far as weight loss, I'm doing fine and as I said upthread, I have no issues carving out regular exercise. I guess I am just looking for ways to get more movement into my day. When I read the other thread about office workers, I was astounded that those who work in an office all day managed to get lots of steps (movement) in any way and I was having trouble seeing how they did it during their workday. I do see that some folks have a lot more freedom at work or just better situations for walking/getting to work. I must be in the one of the more restrictive situations with security/access, etc. In our building, we actually use to ONLY be able to go down the steps, but never up. They did recently change that.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Personally, I put a mini-desk bike under my desk and shoot for at least 60 minutes if not more. I usually have a mileage goal as well. When using automatic counters, cycle movements are considered to be "steps" and thus I don't feel too poorly about that. I'm a bariatric patient and the use of mini-cycles both during my work day and when at home and sitting on the couch "relaxing" was approved for my extra caloric burn activity alongside taking time to strength train.
    Basically it goes 20-30 minutes on the bike at work (while working of course) then get up for a cool down period where I walk a lap around the floor or refill water or what have you. Adding a desk bike to my office work has had a majorly positive impact on both my weight control but also on cardiovascular concerns about circulation. Feel free to PM me if you have questions, not a lot of people are familiar with it but there are many companies, and you can get bikes, ellipticals and stair steppers made to be used during office work from a sitting position.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky and have quite a few steps built-in - two blocks to my bus stop, three blocks from the bus stop to my building, HUGE building that takes quite a bit of time to get anywhere... and a connected skyway system. I definitely take advantage of the skyways and try to get in at least a 30 minute walk. OP, can you try standing at your desk? Even if your desk itself doesn't rise, you can purchase lifts for your computer, etc. readily. Then you could move about a bit. :)