Turkey help please!

Options
kparks770
kparks770 Posts: 113 Member
I attempted to make turkey burgers for the first time tonight for dinner.I used a compilation of different ingrediants from a couple different sites.They really didnt turn out right.I dont know if its the texture or the ingrediants. Any suggestions? Also,anyone ever try the jennie o turkey burgers-are they premade and frozen? I may try them instead.On a good note I made baked ore ida sweet potato fries and Ive never eaten a sweet pot. I always thought they were gross.Well,I loved them! :love:
Hopefully angelfood cake with strawberries for dessert.:bigsmile:

Replies

• thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere yesterday that if you add a bit of olive oil (a good fat) to the turkey, it will not be so dry. I'm going to give it a try:-)
  • emyback68
    emyback68 Posts: 89
    Options
    I have tried the Jenny-O frozen burgers. I made them an indoor grill. They really did not have a lot of taste. Tonight I grilled fresh turkey breast --- that was very tasty. I still have the frozen ones in my freezer, where they will probably be for a while!
  • Crooks0204
    Crooks0204 Posts: 189
    Options
    I mix turkey and lean ground beef (for the men in my house :wink: ) so it really tastes like "real" hamburgers. All I put in mine is the Lipton onion soup (dry) mix.

****I have never used Jenni-O, I use butterball
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Do not mind the frozen burgers. They would need some dressing up if you are looking for flavor but are easy. Not sure on homemade turkey burgers though good luck.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    the Jennie o refrigerated turkey burgers are good. Maybe a little boring to some. The cafe at my university used to put bbq sauce and cheddar on then. You can always top it with flavor full things. Like my BF says "I want a salad on my sandwich".
  • cheffincher
    Options
    Hello Ksparks,

I'm a chef and I've made lots of mistakes as there are many things that can go wrong with a recipe. I can help you if you tell me how it turned out, and what specifically did you not like about it. The texture often depends on the grind and how much you squeezed and worked it. Additives like eggs and bread crumbs can often change the texture too.
  • cmarshel
    cmarshel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm having Jennie-O turkey burgers tonight actually!

I bought a box last week to try out because hopefully in the future as I lose weight my calorie limit will decrease and I'll need some alternatives. Anyways, current 1/3 pound hamburger patty is 380 calories. While the 1/4 turkey burger checks in at 170 calories. So currently it's double turkey burger (1/2 pound) for me for 40 less calories. They are good by me and we'll definitely be buying more...even before they become the go to option.

Side note I've also tried premade 1/3 pound Vidalia Onion burger patties which check in at 340 calories and are good as well.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    We usually squeeze lemon juice all over them after they're done cooking (pan-fried).
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Jennie O has plain turkey burgers and ones with spices. I prefer the spiced ones. Also turkey burger can be kind of gross if the fat content is to low. I prefer ground chicken burgers with Perdue ground chicken. I usually add a 1/2 packet of some kind of seasoning packet like Hidden Valley Ranch or McKormic. I also add onions and sometimes rolled oats.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I think the extra lean ground turkey is just way too dry! The 93/7 is much tastier. I grill it with nothing added and my kids even love it!
  • AJDL
    AJDL Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I never use hamburger, just turkey. My turkey burgers usually contain turkey(1.25 lbs), 1/4 c. chopped frozen spinach, 2 T. bbq sauce(sweet baby ray's honey bbq is my fav), 1 t. dijon mustard, a few shakes of hot sauce, 1/2 t. garlic powder(you could use real, but I usually have powder on hand), 1/2 t. Mrs. Dash seasoning, some grated parmesan, and a little panko bread crumbs. Make patties, then put in freezer for roughly 30 min. I do this when grilling outdoors, then they stick together better. Otherwise, just make into patties, meat loaf and cook. Oven 375 degrees for 25- 30, or until they reach 160 degrees. Never had any complaints, my 3 1/2 yr old LOVES them.
  • chicadelnorte
    Options
    I like to add salsa to mine. I mix it into the turkey before I make the patties. It adds flavor and helps with the dryness.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I usually cook my turkey burgers in a pan with a little bit of olive oil to keep them moist. Also I put chopped yellow onions or green onions in the mixture before patting them out to give them a little moisture and dont over cook them or they will dry out.
  • kparks770
    Options
    wow thanks Everyone that sounds awesome! They werent too bad I just was not sure how long to cook and I think bbq sauce would of been good and maybe a chopped onion instead of powdered onion lol I tried and I will try again:) I have 2 leftover and Im not wasting them so Ill doctor them up for lunch tomorrow or next day:) Between that and the Paula deen brothers lighter oven fried chicken I got leftovers lol I loved it!
  • Tazz71
    Tazz71 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm not sure what ingredients you used but I make my turkey burgers with the following ingredients and they turn out pretty tasty:

1. lean ground turkey
    2. portabella mushrooms
    3. green & yellow green peppers
    4. garlic (fresh or powder, which ever is convenient)
    5. shallot or vadalia onion
    6. sea salt & pepper (either fresh cracked or already ground)

Chop up all the veggies (chunky or fine to your liking), add the turkey, salt and pepper...get your hands messy. Form your pattie and grill. They're full of flavor and healthy. If you have the calories to use, I also add chunks of my favorite cheese to the mix...smoked gouda, blue cheese, NY white cheddar, the choices are infinite.

If you try them...let me know how you like them.

If you're watching your carbs, you can put it in a lettuce leaf and create your own lettuce wrap. hmm hmm good. I'm getting hungry.
  • kparks770
    Options
    That sounds great! Ill have to try that one too! :) I didnt think about the peppers.I have red/green/yellow/orange in freezer bags cut up for the omlets I make.Thanks:)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The premade ones are raw, usually right next to the ground turkey. For my turkey burger, I just took the ground turkey & mixed in a little bit of egg (both yolk and whites) and some onions. Baked it for about 20 minutes on 350 on a sheet I drizzled a little olive oil on. Turned out great!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    This recipe is loosely based off the one in "Eating For Life" cookbook, I made a few small changes:

1 lb. ground turkey
    1 T parsley
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 t prepared horseradish
    1-2 T worchestershire sauce
    1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 egg
    3/4 t salt
    1/4-1/2 t pepper

Mix lightly, form into four equal patties and grill. Great on a George Forman or other contact grill and very tasty! Hope you like it!