Desk cycle?

Anyone use the little desk cycle while at work?
I was just wondering if it helps at all?
Obviously I'll still be doing my normal workouts as well

Replies

• jnananamaste
    jnananamaste Posts: 72 Member
    No...but I like this idea!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    every movement helps :p
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    I have one that I used to use, but the way my work is now I don't use it much anymore (I work from home more now and I have a treadmill desk!). I liked the desk cycle, but at the time I wasn't keeping track of calories burned and counting calories in. The calorie counter on the machine is not accurate because it can't distinguish the difficulty level that you use, but they have a website that you can enter your data and get a more accurate reading for calories burned. I used it mostly so I wouldn't be just sitting still at my desk all day. It does burn some calories, so it can't hurt!

I did use it recently when I got an overuse injury from walking and running, and I could no longer do those activities. I was able to use my desk cycle sitting in a chair at my house while I watched TV. I did manage to burn some calories!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    I don't but if I ever run a business from home, it would be top of the list for a home office.
  • Jazzykatt
    Jazzykatt Posts: 38 Member
    I'd like to get one but wonder how noisy they are. Does anyone know?
  • Drueru
    Drueru Posts: 46 Member
    I wanna get one so bad but am having a hard time finding. They are generally supposed to be pretty quiet, check out the reviews before you buy.
    Alternatively, has anyone seen the newer and more cost effective item - HOVR?
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Jazzykatt wrote: »
    I'd like to get one but wonder how noisy they are. Does anyone know?

At my old job, there was a woman who purchased one of these, and it squeaked when she used it, which drove me (and many other people) crazy. I think there is a line between being active, and being appropriate in an office setting, that you may want to think about.
  • Drueru
    Drueru Posts: 46 Member
    I found one called a FitDesk and they said that if it squeaked and wasn't silenced by some WD-40 I could return it as they'd call that a defect. So I guess you just need to be sure that the cycle claims to be quiet.
  • bethanyka
    bethanyka Posts: 159 Member
    there are 3 women that have desk cycles in my office, I've never heard any noise or squeaking. they got theirs on Amazon, I think for about $35.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2017
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sarah-klein/we-tried-it-deskcycle_b_2908577.html

http://www.deskcycle.com/CalorieCalculator.html

In my experience, most people have a difficult time focusing on work while simultaneously trying to cycle under the desk. They can also be noisy and a distraction in an office environment.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Mine does not squeak, and is fairly quiet. The trick for using it while concentrating on work is to go slowly. Again, not a huge calorie burner, but better than staying still.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I'm sure it adds to ones calorie burn, but so do twiddling your thumbs. Personally, I have a hard enough time on Zwift while trying to watch YouTube. I hate to think what it would be like if I were trying to be productive.
  • happymum37
    happymum37 Posts: 95 Member
    I've got one at home and I can't even read whilst using mine so don't know how people manage to get anything useful done :)
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    A co-worker has had one for about a year now.
    His is really quiet, you wouldn't know he was cycling all day.
    Every movement helps.
    I have a standing desk. You can use it either standing or sitting. I don't stand all day. Our IT dept hates the standing desks (they say it is harder to concentrate).
  • emmagrace0818
    emmagrace0818 Posts: 211 Member
    Mine doesn't make any noise!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    From the appearance of them I couldn't see them working with a standard desk for anyone over 5'6" or so
  • emmagrace0818
    emmagrace0818 Posts: 211 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    From the appearance of them I couldn't see them working with a standard desk for anyone over 5'6" or so

I'm almost 5'8" and have hit my knees a few times!