Kale

Options
Athena413
Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
So I tried making kale chips and I wasn't super impressed. Now I have 3/4 of a bunch of kale and have no idea what to do with it. Suggestions??

Replies

• photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Use it in place of spinach.

(Cooked - not raw.)
  • houlee
    houlee Posts: 60
    Options
    Perhaps a smoothie? I know lots of people make smoothie's with either kale or spinach. I think they are affectionately called "Green Monsters". You can find recipes at greenmonstermovement.com. You can also try blending it up and adding it to a sauce for extra serving(s) of veggies.
  • Maria_81
    Maria_81 Posts: 152
    Options
    Well that's easy, you need to make a smoothie with it. Add it to your blender with a cup of water, some spinach and your favorite fruit to sweeten it up.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Saute with garlic and Balsamic...
  • dailyorange
    dailyorange Posts: 128
    Options
    You can steam it for about 6-7 minutes, sprinkle some sea salt and serve it as a salad.

Another method would be to "massage" the kale. First pull the leaves off the stalk, wash the kale, then pat dry with a towel or use a salad spinner. Next chop the kale up. Then pour a tbs of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Then start to massage the kale, don't just toss it around. After you're done mixing, refrigerate for about 30 minutes. I love kale!!
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I like to put it in soups/stews, but not really soup season...
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    saute with a little bit of sesame oil and garlic. yum!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmm. Soup. There's always a time for soup. Especially in some Zuppa Toscana.
  • Mandalicious
    Mandalicious Posts: 126
    Options
    We definitely like to add it to smoothies. I also cut it up finely and add it to my morning scrambles (with onion, grape tomatoes, egg beaters, etc). You can make a soup with chicken broth, white beans, butternut squash and thinly cut kale strips - add some Italian seasoning and a little sprinkle of Parmesan.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I mess up on making Kale chips too. I am told that you set the oven on low like 250 degrees and check them frequently like every 6 minutes to prevent burning. I sometimes put too much olive oil on them and they turn out soggy. I am going to try again.

How about cooked kale on the stove in some water in a sauce pan. Before you do that, saute some onion and minced garlic. Add bacon bits and or apple cider vinegar. For a spicier kick, add flaked hot pepper.

Good luck! :wink:
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! I just got some kale from a co-op and have no idea what to do with it
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Tear it up and remove the big center stalks. Dump the leaves in a pot with a cup of water, 1/4 cup olive oil, some salt, pepper, and minced garlic. Put a lid on and steam it over medium heat, moving it around with tongs every five minutes or so. Start test tasting when it's down to about a fourth of its original volume and take it off the heat when the done-ness is to your liking.

I put mine on top of pasta or quinoa or just eat it on its own, sometimes with a big slice of tomato, always with some pecorino romano cheese.
  • Athena413
    Options
    Ooo...I have some quinoa...I could mix it in with that. Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • Jason_Hall
    Jason_Hall Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just mince it up and add it to my salad. There's a ton of research that shows that kale, along with other leafy vegetables have anti-cancer properties. Although, with Kale you MUST mince it up, or "injure" the plant in some way for the anti-cancer property, sulforaphane, to become active.
  • Athena413
    Options
    I may just end up adding it to some salads - I tried the kale chips and I'm not sure if I just didn't do it right, or what, but I wasn't impressed.