Calories burned while skiing

Options
Hi all, I'm going skiing and am trying to work out how many additional calories I might be able to eat.

I'm female, 5'6'', 158lbs and am currently losing about a pound per week on 1260 calories per day.

I'll be downhill skiing, mostly on the piste.

I'm struggling to find reliable resources to help me work out how many calories I'll burn. I don't have a fitness tracker. Can anybody help?

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Skiing, downhill, light effort: 15 min 71 1 hour 284
    Skiing, downhill, moderate effort: 15 min 89 1 hour 355
    Skiing, downhill, vigorous effort, racing: 15 min: 124 1 hour:497

I'd guess you're not racing? So probably around 300 cal/hour of actual skiing. You'll have to estimate how much time you spend going down vs. how much time you spend in line and on the lift.
  • samlovesthesnow
    samlovesthesnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Where did you find the numbers? I'm not racing, just skiing at a leisurely pace but probably with a few mogul runs thrown in.
  • samlovesthesnow
    samlovesthesnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that's really helpful :smiley:
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    For day to day stuff, use your phone as a fitness tracker. I'm just using Google Fit. I know it's not a 100% accurate pedometer, but it's free and it links to MFP. It helps a lot to earn 200 calories from walking when you're calorie allowance is so low. I've been eating most of what it gives me as exercise calories and losing as planned.
  • Adumond78
    Adumond78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Get an app like ski tracks to track your time going down vs. lift time. Put that in the link posted above and that should give you a pretty accurate estimate/
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Downhill skiing isn't wonderful exercise, unfortunately. I wish! Cross-country on the other hand, is a killer calorie burner.